Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 12-01-2020, 03:48 PM   #11
ckosacranoid

Default Re: Campaign ideas

I am going to start the group odd with the mission in the east coast guide. no cars and the group gets paid 50k.
All the gear is provided by the company and they have to get something easy back. they will have their starting gear to buy. but this will get them use to the game and me running again since I have not run is ages.
ckosacranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:54 PM   #12
schoon

I've always loved the idea of running Car Wars as an RPG.

I did a Con game using FFG's Genesis system (which is excellent despite now being out of print) and LEGO cars. Much fun was had.

As for the start with or without cars, it is called Car Wars, and there's always a way to hand wave that the players start with vehicles if you want to.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:08 PM   #13
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoon View Post
I've always loved the idea of running Car Wars as an RPG.
The Contest of Skills system can be used; it's just a little difficult to figure out what the Other Side is rolling sometimes. For ex.: When one is attempting to crack a building's computer security, how does one figure what the player is rolling against? (My solution was to figure out in advance what the programmer who'd created the system had for a Computer programming skill, then possibly subtract a bit for "advances in knowledge over time" -- if one has read "The Deathtoll Solution", there's an example of what I mean in it.)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:46 AM   #14
ckosacranoid

As I said, going to use atomic highways for characters and out of car stuff. Then jump to rules for car wars when cars are needed. Have a basic idea for running the crossover, just need to work more ideas and start putting ideas to paper and work a few more details out. Need to look at the other missions that have been printed and work out which ones to use and what year I am going to start off in. Thinking of starting in March of 2040, can use both vehicle guides one and two and some of the newer tech. Need to do some digging though nova and a couple of other sites cause I wanted to have ideas for toys to use as gm or to let the players use.
ckosacranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:01 AM   #15
swordtart

In CW less is more.

If you want to increase variety without rules complexity consider simple parallels between equipment and just have one with variants.

For example, rather than than use unique stats for every grenade decide on
a base weapon (e.g. paint) then add the difference between the cost for one round of ammunition for the chosen gas/liquid dropper systems and the cost of a paint load. Make the area of effect universal (1" circumference) and you instantly have a coherent system for any liquid/gas grenade.

I found I could then introduce exotic/experimental weapons quickly that my players could get access to a limited supply as rewards for missions (consider the Charge of the Light Brigade scenario) which would then drip feed into general supply. This would give the players an equipment advantage for a few months without it becoming an escalating advantage as a few months later everyone would have them.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:53 AM   #16
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
For example, rather than than use unique stats for every grenade decide on a base weapon (e.g. paint) then add the difference between the cost for one round of ammunition for the chosen gas/liquid dropper systems and the cost of a paint load.
This.

At some point during the arms race, someone should have said "For these weapons, there is a grenade for "$X + cost of one round."

The same for dischargers.

[EDIT: I also agree with making the area of effect circular (although I think there are some grenades that have a different SIZE of effect.) The days of being tied to a square grid are gone.]

Last edited by kjamma4; 12-03-2020 at 07:59 AM.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #17
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
At some point during the arms race, someone should have said "For these weapons, there is a grenade for "$X + cost of one round."
Quote:
[EDIT: I also agree with making the area of effect circular (although I think there are some grenades that have a different SIZE of effect.) The days of being tied to a square grid are gone.]
<- looks at file folder; looks upward; whistles innocently

Had I been a few years older, and better-versed in BBses....

79er

Old 12-04-2020, 08:06 AM   #18
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
<- looks at file folder; looks upward; whistles innocently

Had I been a few years older, and better-versed in BBses....
Yeah, in response to someone posting a picture of their CW house rules from 1987 on BoardGameGeek,

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread...te-house-rules

I recently went through some of my old stuff as well. I had some notes about Universal Spare Tires (think the cheap donuts we have now) that I was going to submit and some notes about running a silly game on a kitchen table where the vehicles were from the Micro Machines video game. Odd what sort of stuff you keep in the "archives."

In case you're interested, I posted pictures of the Car Wars Vehicle Design Software.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread...design-program
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:02 PM   #19
43Supporter

Quote:
Printer? Luxury -- I had to use pencils. :)

(It's only been recently I finally transcribed my stuff to computer format; the pencil had faded, and the paper had yellowed even worse than when I started.)

For me: I was both a Gamer, and a Gearhead. When, in the _Dueltrack_ Designer's Notes article in _ADQ_, Mr. Haring rattled off an engine description, then said "To most people (including me), that's Greek" -- well, I had a talent for explaining stuff "in Large Print With Pictures format" to those who may not have been as well-versed in the subject. (I grew up around people who worked in Hollywood; I knew about "the pitch; the treatment; the full version", in that order.) So I could have been helpful to the cause.

79er

Old 03-01-2021, 01:45 PM   #20
PeteC

It's funny that I came across this thread. Last night going to sleep I had the idea of having a mini campaign where the players explore a massive underground nuclear fallout shelter, the huge unrealistic ones you see in 90's apocalypse movies, so it's big enough that there are driving encounters as well as pedestrian ones.

It could be the equivalent of a car wars "megadungeon"
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote