Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 11-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #11
Anders

Default Re: How do you name planets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
I was sad to be told that there isn’t rally a place called “Torpenhowe Hill”.
We still have Bredon Hill.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:20 PM   #12
RyanW

"You can't call a planet Bob."
"So now you're the boss? You're the King of Bob?"
Old 11-25-2020, 02:58 PM   #13
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
We still have Bredon Hill.
And a village called "Torpenhow" that is on a hill.

A lot of Australian place-names employ reduplication (Wagga Wagga, Woy Woy, Willi Willi, Nulla Nulla) because reduplication was an inflection in many Aboriginal languages, producing plurals and acting as an intensifier. Spike Milligan's mother lived at Woy Woy, and when he was told that it meant "deep water" he wondered which "Woy" means "deep" and which "Woy" means "water".

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 11-25-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:07 AM   #14
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Sometimes I'll pick a naming scheme for planets in a setting
In one recent scifi setting thread, I went with the theme of "Philosopher's Somethings," so we got Plato's Cave, Morton's Fork, Pascal's Wager and so on, in a region named Thinker's Forum.

It's just based on the idea that survey scouts out cataloguing planets will get bored and latch onto any slightly creative or imaginative scheme they come across... much as suburban town planners do when naming groups of streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
A lot of Australian place-names employ reduplication (Wagga Wagga, Woy Woy, Willi Willi, Nulla Nulla) because reduplication was an inflection in many Aboriginal languages, producing plurals and acting as an intensifier. Spike Milligan's mother lived at Woy Woy, and when he was told that it meant "deep water" he wondered which "Woy" means "deep" and which "Woy" means "water".
I forget if it was Spike Milligan or someone else, but this reminds me of the line from some old comedy sketch, "... Wagga Wagga, which means 'place of many crows... place of many crows.'"
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:02 PM   #15
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

I remember in the Old Man's War series, there's a planet named Huckleberry. The survey pilot who named it had a thing for Mark Twain.

Then the bureau of colonization settled war refugees from India.

So the name doesn't HAVE to be logical, nor fit with the culture that settles the planet.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:49 AM   #16
cptbutton

My handwave for really mundane or lame planet names:

Scouts and surveyors just slap on whatever name occurs to them quickly, because you have to call it something and have something in those blanks on the forms.

They don't expect it to last, as permanent names are set by the Nomenclature Subcommittee Executive Working Group. But the NSCEWG is really a dumping ground for dull drones, chronic bickerers, losers of office power struggles, and other such people the organization has no use for but is unable or unwilling to fire or assassinate. So the official naming gets endlessly delayed.

Meanwhile the people doing actual work on the system just use the "temporary" name.

Eventually a management reform movement comes around and abolishes the NSCEWG, declaring all the temporary names the official permanent ones.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:54 AM   #17
DeadParrot

I just borrow names from books, movies, TV shows and other sources. Nothing wrong with planets named Zahadoom, Tattoine, Ceti Alpha 5, or even Bob. Binary planets might be Xena and Gabrielle or Batman and Robin.

If your work winds up getting published, you might want to do a little copyright cleansing but for ad-hoc use no one is going to care if your planet is named Iron Man.
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:00 AM   #18
khorboth

Honestly, as we're looking at stupid planet names, that brings up another point, humans are immature idiots. Especially explorers far from home.

The Grand Tetons are famous in Wyoming. They're literally named after breasts. Here's a list of just the more difficult to climb mountains named after breasts in English in North America.

So, now we're naming balls. Cold balls in space. I'll leave you to do the math.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:19 PM   #19
Anders

Frankly surprised that more of them haven't been bowdlerized over the years.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:32 PM   #20
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
Here's a list of just the more difficult to climb mountains named after breasts in English in North America.
Mount Boobyalla is probably a faux ami. Like the river, defunct port city, and Antarctic islands of the same name it is most likely named after the plant bubiala ("native willow") or boobialla ("native juniper"), which gets their names from an Aboriginal language of Tasmania.

Also, it isn't in North America.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote