Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-19-2019, 06:30 AM   #1
Tywyll

Default Illusion Stats

If you conjure an illusion of a warrior, what are their stats? Are they equal to a myrmidon? Are they simply equal to the real thing? What if the viewer has no idea what the real thing is capable of?

Simplicity sake it seems like they should just stat up as a myrmidon.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:32 AM   #2
zot

Default Re: Illusion Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
If you conjure an illusion of a warrior, what are their stats? Are they equal to a myrmidon? Are they simply equal to the real thing? What if the viewer has no idea what the real thing is capable of?

Simplicity sake it seems like they should just stat up as a myrmidon.
Myrmidon is what I'd use.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #3
Skarg

I use a 32-point warrior with basic weapon talents.

I personally don't use the rule about being able to get the full abilities of some superior hero, because (1) balance and (2) in my campaigns, people don't know the abilities of other figures.

One way I have sometimes handled it is to allow the appearance of a great hero, but the abilities in practice couldn't exceed a 32-point warrior, but could be weird in some unusual ways, such as:

Real hero: ST 14 DX 16(12) IQ 10 Fine magic 2-handed sword, fine plate, toughness

Hero illusion A: ST 14 DX 10 Plain 2-handed sword, no armor, no toughness

Hero illusion B: ST 14 DX 10(5) Plain 2-handed sword, plain plate, no toughness

Hero illusion C: ST 8 DX 16(11) 2-handed sword that does 1d-1, plain plate, no toughness

Hero illusion D: ST 14 DX 10 Plain 2-handed Sword, plate that stops no hits, no toughness

Hero illusion E: ST 12 DX 12 2-handed sword that does 2d, plate that stops no hits, no toughness

This allowed the illusion to behave in some ways like the actual hero, and convince people into treating the illusion like the hero, but not have it be so powerful.

It's interesting to me that this gives a "tell" when the illusion fails to perform as well as the hero in some way.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:42 PM   #4
JohnPaulB

ITL Legacy page 138
Since illusions are in part fed by the observers, an illusion will always act as the "average" type of the thing it is. An Illusion of a fighter will fight as a standard beginning fighter, with ST, DX, and IQ adding to 32. A wizard cannot create an illusion of a highly-experienced fighter unless it appears to be some powerful fighter known to the enemy.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:21 AM   #5
Tywyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
ITL Legacy page 138
Since illusions are in part fed by the observers, an illusion will always act as the "average" type of the thing it is. An Illusion of a fighter will fight as a standard beginning fighter, with ST, DX, and IQ adding to 32. A wizard cannot create an illusion of a highly-experienced fighter unless it appears to be some powerful fighter known to the enemy.
Thanks I actually found that last night!

My players fought the troll in DT and now wants to summon the troll. I told him he could, but that most intelligent beings would try to disbelieve since 'everyone' knows wizards can't summon trolls... Still might be good against animals though!
Old 06-20-2019, 10:20 AM   #6
kjamma4

Quote:
My players fought the troll in DT and now wants to summon the troll. I told him he could, but that most intelligent beings would try to disbelieve since 'everyone' knows wizards can't summon trolls... Still might be good against animals though!
I'm not familiar enough with the RAW to know about summoning a troll but I"m guessing they are somewhat in power between a gargoyle and a giant (or possibly between a giant and a 4-hex dragon?

If so, I'd rule that you can using whichever spell summons a creature that is closest to the stats of a troll.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:56 AM   #7
Tywyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
I'm not familiar enough with the RAW to know about summoning a troll but I"m guessing they are somewhat in power between a gargoyle and a giant (or possibly between a giant and a 4-hex dragon?

If so, I'd rule that you can using whichever spell summons a creature that is closest to the stats of a troll.
ST 40, Dx 11, IQ 8 (I think). 2d damage punch, no armor, but regenerate 1 hit a round. I'd put them at around Gargoyle strength if the player wanted to create a new spell to actually summon one (they are much stronger but do the same damage, don't have armor, and can fly...?). Though maybe giants?

Regardless, he didn't want a new spell, he just wanted to use 1 hex illusion to create one. Which is valid, but we all know there is no 'Summon Troll' spell so...
Old 06-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #8
kjamma4

Quote:
Regardless, he didn't want a new spell, he just wanted to use 1 hex illusion to create one. Which is valid, but we all know there is no 'Summon Troll' spell so...
Yeah, I guess that was my point.

I think Summon I, Summon II, Summon III, etc. spells would be better where each beast is in one of the categories so that you can choose which one within that category you summon. That way, you could also do an image/illusion of those without metagaming "Those can't be summoned therefore they are an image/illusion."
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:11 PM   #9
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Yeah, I guess that was my point.

I think Summon I, Summon II, Summon III, etc. spells would be better where each beast is in one of the categories so that you can choose which one within that category you summon. That way, you could also do an image/illusion of those without metagaming "Those can't be summoned therefore they are an image/illusion."
Yeah, I floated that recommendation back when we were still debating rules ideas before the original Kickstarter. It got shot down by folks (mostly because they didn't like the title of the spell, I suspect -- though in at least one case it was the old "not invented here" issue on the part of the individual). Maybe they'll listen to you...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:18 AM   #10
xane

Quote:
I'm assuming you mean create a (one-hex) illusion of a troll, whereas Summon Troll would be a separate spell.

The rules state the "above average" illusion must be known to the enemy, not the caster, for it to work.
xane is offline   Reply With Quote