Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #241
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Re: Ogre Kickstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj View Post
Any respectable game company should have a tramp freighter.
I would think a respectable game company would have a hobo freighter.

With a really sideways name like Two Hats Sam or Mr. Chairman.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #242
Bowser

I'll put this here and also in the Make Your Own Ogre thread just to make sure Steve sees it:

If we can't get a Ninja and a Vulcan into a 3D counter sheet somewhere, how about posting the tracings/cutouts in the "Make Your Own Ogre" area so we can make our own?? (hope . . . hope . . . hope).

This option would be nice for any official but not often used Ogre.

Thx!
Old 04-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #243
Bowser

I should have read all of the other threads first, therefore . . .

Move along, folks! Nothing to see here!

Another suggestion for Steve.

I admittedly have no idea how difficult it is (i.e. how much extra $$$ it takes) to add a map and go from one-sided to two-sided. Having said that . . .

I assume that the four non-Ogre maps included at this time are a) the original GEV map, b) the original Shockwave map, c) either the G-2 or G-3 map (from Battlefields), and d) either the S-2 or S-3 map (also from Battlefields).

I would like to suggest that as a further funding goal ($250,000 perhaps???) the four one-sided maps get turned into four two-sided maps. My first choice would be to put G-3 (for example) on the back of the G-2 map and S-3 on the back of S-2, and to put a brand new "G" map on the back of the GEV map and a brand new "S" map on the back of the Shockwave map.

I have no idea of how much effort it takes to properly playtest a new map, so as an alternative to the new maps, I wouldn't mind seeing the G-3 map on the back of the GEV map and S-3 on the back of the Shockwave map. This would allow G-2 and G-3 to be "in play" at the same time and ditto for S-2 and S-3.

At least this suggestion should add very little additional weight to the box.

Many thanks to Andrew, Phil, and Steve for their kind responses about maps and printing over on the "Additional Goals" thread.

Last edited by Bowser; 04-15-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: because I'm stooooopid :P
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #244
Talorien
Former Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
Another suggestion for Steve.

I admittedly have no idea how difficult it is (i.e. how much extra $$$ it takes) to add a map and go from one-sided to two-sided. Having said that . . .

I assume that the four non-Ogre maps included at this time are a) the original GEV map, b) the original Shockwave map, c) either the G-2 or G-3 map (from Battlefields), and d) either the S-2 or S-3 map (also from Battlefields).

I would like to suggest that as a further funding goal ($250,000 perhaps???) the four one-sided maps get turned into four two-sided maps. My first choice would be to put G-3 (for example) on the back of the G-2 map and S-3 on the back of S-2, and to put a brand new "G" map on the back of the GEV map and a brand new "S" map on the back of the Shockwave map.

I have no idea of how much effort it takes to properly playtest a new map, so as an alternative to the new maps, I wouldn't mind seeing the G-3 map on the back of the GEV map and S-3 on the back of the Shockwave map. This would allow G-2 and G-3 to be "in play" at the same time and ditto for S-2 and S-3.

At least this suggestion should add very little additional weight to the box.
It seems as if the maps will be OGRE, G1, G2, S1, either S2 or S3.

See this thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/7905...tion-come-with

The pre-200K plan was probably:

Board 1: G1 + G2
Board 2: S1 + (S2 or S3)
Board 3: OGRE

Steve and Phil have pretty much said that G3 and the other missing map aren't going to make it in at this stage, even if the project hits 200K.

So the best possibility IMHO would be for an expansion Map Pack with G1, G3, S1 and (S2 or S3, whichever's missing).

That way someone who owned Designer's Edition + Map Pack would be able to play any scenario in the OGRE/GEV/Shockwave, Battlefields, and the Reinforcement Pack.

It'd be a crying shame if G3 and (S2/S3) aren't ever given the premium treatment, as certain scenarios couldn't ever be played with the Designer's Edition counters, or with minis.

(Because even if you owned the old Battlefields and Reinforcement Pack, the hex size on the paper maps in those is too small.)
Talorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #245
offsides

I too would like to see the "missing" maps from Battlefields that don't make it into the Designers Edition offered at a later date, either with the G1/S1 boards on the other sides, or maybe even some new maps that either geomorph with the existing set, or perhaps only geomorph with themselves but are used for new scenarios. Heck, I've even got a map of my own that goes with some scenarios I'm still working up (and of course, they also need playtesting!) that I'd be more than willing to donate to SJG in exchange for my name in the credits (I'll even buy the boards!), assuming they pass muster...
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #246
GEVJockey

1306 units from the initial 3,000 unit run have been pre-ordered.

The last 48 hours increased the amount pledged by about $38K and increased the backer count by 236 to reach 1306 (Avg of 5 backers per hour)

Average pledge per backer is at $134.88.

At the current pledge per backer level we'll need to see another 223 backers to surpass $200K. Conceivably, if we maintain the 5 new backers per hour rate, we could reach that total by Tuesday evening. However, we'll probably continue to see a drop of in the new backer rate (and a return to the typical backer pledge of $130) so it wouldn't surprise me to see the $200K stretch goal not fall until the end of the week.

A couple of observations:
There are now 2 pledges at the $1977 level and 2 at the $3000 level.

There are quite a few people who have commented on the Kickstarter comments that they'd never played Ogre before, but wanted to get in on the game. Obviously, this is a direct result of the Kickstarter process. A lot of buzz has been generate that would have been much slower in coming if the game were released only through the normal channels in November.

One suggestion for a stretch goal (that adds no cost or weight) would be a pledge by SJG to release an expansion set with the missing maps, new scenarios, new factions, etc. Say if you reach $400K, you'd release the expansion by the end of 2013.
GEVJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #247
terryocarroll

Yes, there seems to be a few long-time gamers out there who never played Ogre, but were aware of it. It's getting their attention now. Not just on the Kickstarter page but on other fora as well.
terryocarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #248
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEVJockey View Post
However, we'll probably continue to see a drop of in the new backer rate (and a return to the typical backer pledge of $130) so it wouldn't surprise me to see the $200K stretch goal not fall until the end of the week.
Unless they start offering international shipping at which point I think we'll see a small surge again.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #249
Buzzardo

I think we'll hear about an international shipping solution this week, maybe even early this week. I recall Steve mentioning in a message on this forum that Phil had some idea in mind.
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #250
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Factory States never made it even as far as an outline, IIRC. It's not a feasible project at this point.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote