Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
ScarecrowKing

Default It has begun...

Well, a preview of the unit sheet bought by boardgamegeek.com is up. There is a Mk VI Ogre (like everyone else will have on theirs) and a big goofy looking dinosaur/kaiju. As soon as I saw on the KS project that there were options for people to design their own counter sheets, I knew I would have a butt-load of Mk VI models, but I was hoping against hope that no one would try to add in something like this, or an Ogrethulhu. These things are not OGRE. I sincerely hope that I'm wrong, and this will turn out to be a logo on the side of the Ogre or a building or something. Unfortunately, I bet it will be a full unit/model.

-Brian
ScarecrowKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
kjamma4

Default Re: It has begun...

And you are free to not purchase this, correct?
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
philreed
I do stuff and things.

That is a counter on the sheet, as requested by BGG. The BGG sheets are separate and not in the game, so no one is forced to play with the counters BGG is designing.

I am sure we will see encounters on BGG that use these new counters.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
ScarecrowKing

Yes, although my geekiness will probably get the better of me ;) Not ranting or anything, just wanted to say my piece. Also, not knocking the art or the work that went into it. Guess I'm just a purist :)

-Brian
Old 06-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Suboptimal00

Here's a link to the BGG thread to save time: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/8181...k-preview-rawr .

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
That is a counter on the sheet, as requested by BGG.
Is it a representation of a 3D figure or a flat counter? If it's a flat counter, is it meant to stand up?

Also, is that reptilian creature getting stats? If so, I hope it gets a low "tread" count, as the non-thigh part of the legs actually looks quite weak.
Suboptimal00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
Talorien
Former Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowKing View Post
Well, a preview of the unit sheet bought by boardgamegeek.com is up. There is a Mk VI Ogre (like everyone else will have on theirs) and a big goofy looking dinosaur/kaiju. As soon as I saw on the KS project that there were options for people to design their own counter sheets, I knew I would have a butt-load of Mk VI models, but I was hoping against hope that no one would try to add in something like this, or an Ogrethulhu. These things are not OGRE. I sincerely hope that I'm wrong, and this will turn out to be a logo on the side of the Ogre or a building or something. Unfortunately, I bet it will be a full unit/model.

-Brian
Thanks for giving us a heads-up, Brian.

Just to clarify a few things:

- The BGG 4.5K sponsor sheets will not come in the Designer's Ed. box. They are an entirely optional separate purchase from BGG.

- AFAIK, this is the only Mk VI Ogre on the sponsor sheets (at last count, I think there is also 1 in the box and 1 in the KS bonus sheets, though I'm sure someone will correct me)

- The awesome lizard thing is not canon. It's no different from some guy printing a godzilla model out in photoshop and using it in his/her own game, except that this way Ogre DE got $4.5K more sponsorship, and those who want to pay a modest amount to get a premade awesome lizard thing model can have one.

- Quite a lot of folks out there want an awesome lizard thing... and it might even attract some BGG folks who don't know Ogre to get interested in it...

I hope that helps!

Best,
Tal

Last edited by Talorien; 06-20-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Talorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Walt Freitag

As far as I know, there will not be a butt-load of Mark VI units on the sponsored counter sheets. In fact, this could be the only one; it's the only one I know about in any event. Most of the sponsored sheets are armies and overlays (flat counters); most of the ones that are 3-D counters (including mine) are using die lines created for the box that don't have any Mark VI's on them. Judging from the surrrveys for the third Kickstarter sheet, there's likely to be more Mark VI's there than on sponsored sheets.

Keep in mind that BGG sponsored two sheets so they've put at least $9k into this. If they want to color a bit outside the canon lines, that's understandable. And the art is beautiful. I don't know what the dragon thing is either, but the Ogre by itself is completely plausible in canon: a Mark VI with an interesting paint job. (Note the use of the BGG blue and orange color scheme.)

I admit I did float some very non-canon concepts for my own sponsored sheet. Then I did surveys (mine have only one r because they're small) and found that, while many people did find wild ideas like dragon-Ogres and steampunk Ogres attractive, "purists" like Scarecrow who want units more usable in conventional scenarios are in the majority. So I changed to more canon-friendly designs. If the BGG sponsors went a bit more wild creatively, I applaud them for that.

ETA: Cross posted with Talorien. See above for the real info.
Walt Freitag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
ScarecrowKing

You passed on steampunk Ogres? Dude, even I may not have been able to resist that ;)

-Brian
Old 06-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
Walt Freitag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowKing View Post
You passed on steampunk Ogres? Dude, even I may not have been able to resist that ;)

That was easily the most popular concept, of the cross-genre concepts I surveyed for. (I've passed that info, and all of my survey results, on to SJG for future consideration.)

It wasn't just an issue of popularity, though. Given the constraints and deadlines involved, the art would have been problematic. And a few steam Ogres by themselves would be out of place in the Ogre universe; to be useful they'd have to be part of a complete game variant that also provides them with compatible allies and enemies. (Or else, they'd have to be treated as regular Ogres tricked out to look steampunk for some reason.)

BGG's atomic monster is just as far out of canon but, unlike a steampunk Ogre, you can connect it right up with the Ogre universe as it is, and there's a sense of internal consistency. That is, it feels right that the forces would be about evenly matched.
Walt Freitag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
Cigarman

I hope they come up with a couple of different Atomic Monsters on the sheets.

Ogres as man's last hope in a "DESTROY ALL MONSTERS" scenario sounds AWESOME to me.
Cigarman is offline   Reply With Quote