Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #11
BlackLiger

Default Re: Compendium of Kromm Quotes

You know, the way I read this just by title alone, I thought we were about to be treated to a share of hilarious quotes by Kromm :P To which I could add

"If I shoot you, it's just really bad lag. Or I don't like you."
Old 02-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLiger
You know, the way I read this just by title alone, I thought we were about to be treated to a share of hilarious quotes by Kromm :P To which I could add

"If I shoot you, it's just really bad lag. Or I don't like you."
What a curious idea :? I wouldn't think there would be enough such quotes to make a good thread, though.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog View Post
That's all 3e stuff, though, and I haven't maintained it in years.
It's not there to be maintained anymore, sadly, but the interpretations have been grandfathered in except where specific changes have been made in 4e. The spell magic ones in particular are still mostly useful due to the minimal nature of MAGIC's 4e revision.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #14
Dammann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
Have you given any thought to breaking up the task between multiple contributors? You could use a dictionary approach and assign letters to contributors for an initial push so one might research and post on all skills that start with M. The method used by the Oxford English Dictionary (detailed in the book The Professor and the Madman) would work well for this I think.

After an initial push to get some stuff up you can put people in charge of sections of the alphabetical listings and they note deficiencies and make calls for volunteers to fill in the gaps. "Would someone please check Martial Arts for references to the skill Stealth?" etc.
After writing the Crossbow (skill) entry, I can report that the most time consuming aspect of writing it was looking for quotes from Kromm to cite. Also, I am not at all confident that I exhaustively list all the mentions of the skill among GURPS books.

It might be best to divvy up the basic articles among a bunch of contributors, so that the articles have at least the original page from BS, then go through and edit in relevant clarifications as needed. The articles wouldn't be as useful without the Kromm commentary, but the mass of skills would be up, and then users could edit in references as they do their own research, if there aren't already references for what they need.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #15
David Latapie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
After writing the Crossbow (skill) entry, I can report that the most time consuming aspect of writing it was looking for quotes from Kromm to cite. Also, I am not at all confident that I exhaustively list all the mentions of the skill among GURPS books.
Should be a good start:
http://www.google.fr/search?q=site%3...PS+Line+Editor"
David Latapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #16
Grouchy Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
After writing the Crossbow (skill) entry,
Looks good!

Quote:
I can report that the most time consuming aspect of writing it was looking for quotes from Kromm to cite.
That's certainly true for me as well. There is a lot of chaff to sort through, especially when dealing with a trait like Allies, because "ally" happens to be Kromm's usual way of saying "someone on your side in a fight, but not necessarily an Ally."

And we really should include quotes from Rev. Pee Kitty as well, because his rulings are just as official as Kromm's. One thing at a time, though.

Quote:
Also, I am not at all confident that I exhaustively list all the mentions of the skill among GURPS books.
I compiled a master index from the indices of the books I own, so I don't have to open dozens of books to look up an entry. From this I have learned that a) traits turn up in books where you would never expect them (Claim to Hospitality in Dungeon Fantasy 8: Treasure Tables, for instance), b) the number of titles I own is dwarfed by the number of titles I don't own, and c) there sure are a lot of errata in GURPS indices.

Quote:
It might be best to divvy up the basic articles among a bunch of contributors, so that the articles have at least the original page from BS, then go through and edit in relevant clarifications as needed. The articles wouldn't be as useful without the Kromm commentary, but the mass of skills would be up, and then users could edit in references as they do their own research, if there aren't already references for what they need.
Sounds good, but as far as I know, the contributors right now are you and me. It might make it easier to tackle the entries if putting up the basic article, filling in references from the various books, and adding rulings from Kromm were done in separate stages.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #17
David Latapie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy Chris View Post
Sounds good, but as far as I know, the contributors right now are you and me. It might make it easier to tackle the entries if putting up the basic article, filling in references from the various books, and adding rulings from Kromm were done in separate stages.
Just to let you know that I monitor this thread, even if I won't have time to help in a more substantiate way.
David Latapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:02 AM   #18
BaHalus

so, the steps would be list, reference and insert notes?
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:10 AM   #19
Dammann

Something like that! I am basically just following the format that was in use.

I just listed all the skills and advantages from the Basic Set. I'll do disadvantages soon, I suppose, unless someone else gets to it first. Then I'll probably go through and start pages for each of the skills (until I run out of steam or someone else beats me to it).

edit:
I suppose the easy way to do this would have been to open GCA. That way there would be handy page references in each item description. Just typing up those lists gives me new respect for what Armin and Eric did. There is a lot of stuff in this game.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #20
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

"ally" happens to be Kromm's usual way of saying "someone on your side in a fight"
Sorry about that . . . I plead "too much military fiction."

Quote:

there sure are a lot of errata in GURPS indices
Sorry about that, too. The last index I worked on was in 2004, but I prepared many before then, and I won't lie and say that it's easy to avoid errors. Since then, I've checked piles of PDFs on their way to release – but we generally do that at the pre-index stage (because fixes can alter pagination), and even when there is an index, checking every entry is roughly as time-consuming as reindexing, which would be too rich for our budget. Please do report errata in indices if you feel industrious. Thanks!
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
kromm, kromm answer, kromm explanation, reference, wikia