Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #1
Mordantus

Default Ad/Disad and Skills cards??

Hi all,

Are there any premade cards for Advantages and Disadvantages and/or for skills/spells? I think it would be an amazingly useful thing to have... I started making some of my own, do you guys think Steve Jackson Games would let me offer them for download if I ever finish? Also, is anyone willing to help me with making such cards? :D
Mordantus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:31 AM   #2
trechriron

Default Re: Ad/Disad and Skills cards??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordantus View Post
Hi all, ... do you guys think Steve Jackson Games would let me offer them for download if I ever finish? ...
Nope.

It would be copying large swaths of text out of the book and reproducing in cards... Maybe if you could make one sentence summaries to jog a person's memory?

I could be wrong, but I also think this is why creating a full-on character generator like say Hero Labs does with GURPS is not allowed (outside GCA of course...).

But... to examine the symptoms and extrapolate a root cause...

I find players of the myriad number of games I run have a hard time learning the stuff on their character sheet. There is also a disturbing lack of desire to learn about the setting. I don't think this is a system problem but rather a player problem.

I was lucky to form a GURPS-focused group at my local game club. These folks are super involved. They know the system and know what's on their character sheets. They pay attention. It's funny but compared to my two casual groups playing a lite d20 game, these people are true pros. It's night and day!

People should know what is on the character sheet. They should own a book and read the parts pertinent to their character. People who want to be at the table, and are invested in the game, need little more than some cheat sheets for maneuvers, range modifiers, and damage multipliers (of which several are available here in the resources forum).

Having cards might be "convenient" from a reference POV but it's probably just as fast to look up the trait in the book. Extra points if you refresh your memory pre-game!

(just in case, this is my opinion, two cents, etc...)
My Blog
trechriron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:09 AM   #3
trooper6

There have been fan made things, you just have to search the forums a bit.
For example, here is a thread about Spell Cards: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...spell+cards%22

I'm pretty sure there are also combat maneuver cards floating around as well.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:14 AM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
I'm pretty sure there are also combat maneuver cards floating around as well.
Those are an SJG game aid, free from Warehouse 23.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordantus View Post
I started making some of my own, do you guys think Steve Jackson Games would let me offer them for download if I ever finish? Also, is anyone willing to help me with making such cards? :D
As said above by Trechriron, you cannot share them publicly without the written permission of Steve Jackson Games (because it implies copying texts from other authors).

But...

You should submit that idea to Steve Jackson Games! Indeed, such cards, exactly as combat cards are useful for combats, would be very useful to simplify character creation. So, since combat cards have been published, why not your cards?

Ask to SJG line editor. The worse that you risk is a (very polite and respectful*) no.

_____
*I had another idea that I found interesting and submited it to SJG. The answer was negative. But I can assure you that it was very polite. SJG authors and editors are amazingly respectful - as long as you also remain polite and don't insist, of course.

Last edited by Gollum; 01-18-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #6
Refplace

The below items may give you some ideas.
I would not think cards for Adds and Disads would be all that useful, except may as humor with fun art. I might buy that, especially if it was some kind of mini game I could use to promote GURPS.

On the other hand index cards listing a characters Adds and Disads with page references could be useful for a game.
A summary rather than detail so a player can remember them at a glance.

Combat Cards
Martial Arts Technique Cheat Sheet
Magic Spell Chart
Skill Categories
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote