Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #21
bonafidenubbin

Default Re: Granting and Curing Afflictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
You are afflicting Reorogrammable and a Cosmic Modular Ability, it should be expensive.
Yeah, I'm fine with expensive given what I'm trying to do - the issue is that changing the connection of the two abilities from Trigger to Link adds very very little benefit but drastically increases the cost. Now, if Link lets me do a single Cure Affliction roll for both, that actually pays for itself and I can figure it out.

I'm pretty versed in GURPS, but this is such a complex power that I don't want to neglect the possibility there's a 100-pt version out there instead of my 200-pt version. Why shoot yourself in the foot unnecessarily?
bonafidenubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #22
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidenubbin View Post
Yes, I know there's a difference, but I don't see One Use anywhere in GCA - what sourcebook is it from?
I have no idea which file you'd have to load. However, "I can't find which book to load" is the reason "User-Defined Limitation" allows for cost multipliers instead of just percentage modifiers.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:37 AM   #23
bonafidenubbin

I was asking about the sourcebook so I could read the rule in its entirety and make sure it was appropriate for this case - I like to use GCA to give me a sense of the options, and then double-check the rules in the original. It sounds like One Use might not fit, though, judging by other people's comments.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
The key here, IMO, is that the affliction gives the DEMON Modular Abilities. She then uses the Modular Ability to grant an Advantage to someone else.

Without some form of access/duration limitation on the Modular Ability, I believe the mechanical affect of it would be "as soon as X Target makes a contract to be handsome, the Demon sets her Modular Ability to Afflict (Very Handsome); she now can slap Very Handsome on as many people as she wants, but she can't change the nature of the Modular Ability."

That's definitely not what I want.

Does that make sense?
Why doesn't the demon just have Cosmic Modular Ability with Accessibility (Only for Benedictions of Advantages with Pact with Permanent and Accessibility, Only on those who have sworn a pact)?

Quote:
I was asking about the sourcebook so I could read the rule in its entirety and make sure it was appropriate for this case - I like to use GCA to give me a sense of the options, and then double-check the rules in the original. It sounds like One Use might not fit, though, judging by other people's comments.
Like I said Costs Character Points is in Powers.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:57 AM   #25
bonafidenubbin

It's meant to be 1:1 between Enthrall/Pact (i.e., so every single contract gives the target 1 more level of Enthrall, and then a single shot application of one Affliction(Advantage) to the target).

So as far as I can tell, simple Accessibility limits without Enthrall don't really allow me to model the idea that 10 contracts and you become Reprogrammable, or that the demon can build and fire her Modular Ability exactly once.

But linking them as Kelly suggested and slapping a limit on the Modular Ability so it's only usable once seems to work for me. Am I missing a reason it doesn't?
Old 01-17-2018, 12:12 PM   #26
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
So as far as I can tell, simple Accessibility limits without Enthrall don't really allow me to model the idea that 10 contracts and you become Reprogrammable, or that the demon can build and fire her Modular Ability exactly once.
Yes, the Reprogrammable part is seperate. The rest could be all modifiers to the demon's modular ability, or required modifiers to the benedicted advantage.

Quote:
But linking them as Kelly suggested and slapping a limit on the Modular Ability so it's only usable once seems to work for me. Am I missing a reason it doesn't?
Afflicting Modular Ability on yourself seems to overly complicated for no benefit. The demon effectively has the ability to grant wishes to anyone who swears to them, one wish per person per oath, all the time. So it makes more sense to me to just have that ability.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #27
bonafidenubbin

I want the wishes to be pretty limited in power/scope - that is, she definitely can't do ANYTHING. (This is because I imagine her wishes will mostly be used on other PCs in the party making desperate contracts to get themselves out of trouble.)

So by simulating it with Modular Ability, I force a point limit on how big of a benefit she can give someone, -especially- if she wants it to be permanent. Should keep this power from getting bugnuts crazy. (I hope.)
Old 01-17-2018, 12:18 PM   #28
bonafidenubbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post

Afflicting Modular Ability on yourself seems to overly complicated for no benefit. The demon effectively has the ability to grant wishes to anyone who swears to them, one wish per person per oath, all the time. So it makes more sense to me to just have that ability.
Oh, I just caught this. She doesn't afflict Modular Ability on herself. She afflicts Enthrall on them, which is linked to her own base Modular Ability. But HER modular ability can only create Afflictions. Sorry, I know that's complex.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:19 PM   #29
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
The key here, IMO, is that the affliction gives the DEMON Modular Abilities. She then uses the Modular Ability to grant an Advantage to someone else.
Ok. That's... an extremely convoluted build, in my opinion. I wouldn't do that. Instead, you should just give the demon character straight up Modular Abilities, limited so that they can only be used to take various Afflictions. Limiting Cosmic Modular Abilities to "Only Afflictions that grant the wishes of my targets of the Enthrall Affliction" is worth -70%, I'd say, effectively the -50% that Powers gives for "one flexible advantage subject to restrictive modifiers", and an extra -20% for not only being limited to a single trait, but also limited in when you can switch the points in the ability. That takes the cost down to 3 points/point the Affliction will cost, so you'll probably need to take it at least level 10, for 30 points, and probably more. But I suspect this will still end up cheaper, and definitely less complex, than a self-affliction of Modular Abilities that then lets you transform someone else.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #30
bonafidenubbin

Okay, I definitely was unclear somehow! Sorry.

The demon straight-up has Modular Abilities, yeah. She doesn't self-afflict them.

She afflicts Enthrall on someone else, which in turn unlocks HER Modular Ability. So Afflicting Enthrall on Joe Schmoe gives the demon the 'fuel' to use her Modular Ability, but only for one thing, once, that Joe Schmoe requesred.

Tags
cure affliction