Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2018, 04:29 PM   #61
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Yrth In Spaaacccceee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
If flywheels are a "normal" way of storing energy at a particular TL then Draw Power for that TL will work on flywheels. I seem to recall stats for flywheels in Ve2.

Theoretically "stored" energy is big no. The target has to be a device designed to store and release energy.
Actually, Magic 4e gives two key points:

"For the purpose of these rules, a machine is a tool that in some way uses, stores, or transforms power in order to do its job. Thus, a hand drill doesn’t qualify, but an electric drill does. A spring-powered pocketwatch is a machine, while a sundial is not." (sic; pg 175)

"For the purpose of these rules, “power” means any energy used by a machine to do its job. At TL8, this generally means electricity. Earlier TLs might use mechanical power from a waterwheel or steam engine; later TLs might use exotic forms of beamed power. “Fuel,” by contrast, means any substance that is consumed to provide power." (pg 178)

Things get even more muddled when you look at spells like Stop Power; does mana/sanctuary count as a power source? In the original version of the spell the answer was yes: "This spell stops the flow of power in a machine (electrical, magical or otherwise) causing all powered devices to cease to function. "

Mana Fuel/TL and Mana-Burner/TL are totally insane and one quickly realizes why they didn't make their way into 4e.

Last edited by maximara; 01-23-2018 at 04:16 AM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #62
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Of course, you could enchant an item with Draw Power and Power (the latter means that you don't have to supply the fatigue to run it), and use that. Yes, I know Draw Power doesn't have an Item listed, but if the GM is inclined to allow it, you just need to work out the particulars - I'd say the same type of items as Steal Power, and a cost of around 1,200 to 2,000, depending on how common the GM wants it to be.
Even if I liked Draw Power, I'd be strongly inclined to say no on the basis of the wording in Magic. That makes a point of calling out the cost as a consequence of the strain of the power passing through you, and not being reduced by skill. I'd call that long term fatigue, not spellcasting drain. I probably wouldn't even let you pay it with a powerstone, never mind a Power enchantment.

So if you did have an item, it would lose FT to the strain. Items not having any, that would immediately start coming off of its HP, it'll be crumbling to dust fairly shortly.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #63
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Even if I liked Draw Power, I'd be strongly inclined to say no on the basis of the wording in Magic. That makes a point of calling out the cost as a consequence of the strain of the power passing through you, and not being reduced by skill. I'd call that long term fatigue, not spellcasting drain. I probably wouldn't even let you pay it with a powerstone, never mind a Power enchantment.

So if you did have an item, it would lose FT to the strain. Items not having any, that would immediately start coming off of its HP, it'll be crumbling to dust fairly shortly.
In that context, I think I'd base that on the material, rather than saying that anything you use would break quickly. So, wood and stone would be bad for this, but copper, silver, or gold would conduct the power nicely. I might have magically-created metals break down fairly fast if used for that purpose, if I allowed magically-created materials to be used for material-specific enchantments at all (I mostly wouldn't, but it fits some settings).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:03 PM   #64
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
In that context, I think I'd base that on the material, rather than saying that anything you use would break quickly. So, wood and stone would be bad for this, but copper, silver, or gold would conduct the power nicely.
That makes sense. If the object would stand up to the power applied physically, it should be OK magically.

Hm, since the minimum is a megawatt, and a copper object bigger than 5.2 meters square heated to just under its melting point should dissipate that, so I suppose an enchanted metal object bigger than, say, 2 hexes, could be assumed to survive more or less indefinitely.