Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-20-2016, 09:23 PM   #31
Leynok

Default Re: [Sorcery] Those Other Spells...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rindis View Post
3) Mages should be unarmored. Unfortunately, Sorcery doesn't support this, and the suggestions in Thaumatology don't help. My current thought is to increase spell fatigue expenditure by encumbrance level, or something similar. (Assuming this isn't just considered a setting switch, how big a modifier on Sorcerous Empowerment would this be?)

-snip-

Any thoughts on spellbooks? The last paragraph doesn't work with Sorcery, but I still like the general explanation, if that ends up being salvageable.
For Armour, I would make that maybe an extra -5% or -10%, probably leaning towards the latter, since having armour is a life saver, and while it doesn't prevent you from using it, it is disencouraging it.

For the spellbook, I like to imagine that Wizards develop and study their magic through it. Not having your spellbook should not allow you to spend any more points in new spells, and perhaps you may even add a compulsory Limitation to Sorcerous Empowerment that requires you to have the book to improvise a spell (turning to the right page).
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:59 PM   #32
Celjabba

Perhapd adding unreliable (mitigator : spellbook) to the spells ?
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:38 AM   #33
Rindis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leynok View Post
For Armour, I would make that maybe an extra -5% or -10%, probably leaning towards the latter, since having armour is a life saver, and while it doesn't prevent you from using it, it is disencouraging it.
Which is the general idea. The GURPS way is generally not to unilaterally forbid something, but instead show why it's a bad idea, or at least rare.

There's likely to be some fairly nice point-blank spells (my current build of Burning Hands is cheap), and I definitely don't want to see heavily armored mages on the front line burning mooks to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leynok View Post
For the spellbook, I like to imagine that Wizards develop and study their magic through it. Not having your spellbook should not allow you to spend any more points in new spells, and perhaps you may even add a compulsory Limitation to Sorcerous Empowerment that requires you to have the book to improvise a spell (turning to the right page).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Perhapd adding unreliable (mitigator : spellbook) to the spells ?
I'll have to re-read Unreliable, but that is definitely looking in the right direction.

The plan is traveling spellbooks just have 'pre-built' spells, while everything else is assembled from first principles using libraries of research material. (Yeah, currently planning on not using the Sorcery Improv rules; but that also goes back to pre-Sorcery thoughts, so I need to reconsider still.)
Old 07-21-2016, 01:39 AM   #34
Bilanthri

Feather Fall could be emulated with Super Jump modified by Accessibility: Only when falling.

As long as you don't fall further than your max jump height, you take no damage but would have no ability to control the fall otherwise. Add Catfall to it to give that little extra distance.

Though this doesn't actually slow your fall.
Bilanthri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:26 AM   #35
Christopher R. Rice

You could also do Catfall (Cosmic, No Fall Limit, +50%; Featherfall, +20%) or Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction) (Limited, Falling only, -60%)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:22 AM   #36
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

For unarmored wizards, use Vow (Do Not Wear Armor) [-15] as a required disadvantage for anyone playing a wizard, then use this Disadvantage as a Pact limitation on all the magical powers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
You could also do Catfall (Cosmic, No Fall Limit, +50%; Featherfall, +20%) or Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction) (Limited, Falling only, -60%)
Feather Fall reduces falling damage to nothing, not just reduces it. A limitation on Flight or Super Jump is probably going to work out better.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:26 AM   #37
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rindis View Post
3) Mages should be unarmored. Unfortunately, Sorcery doesn't support this, and the suggestions in Thaumatology don't help. My current thought is to increase spell fatigue expenditure by encumbrance level, or something similar. (Assuming this isn't just considered a setting switch, how big a modifier on Sorcerous Empowerment would this be?)
Pact: Cannot Wear Armor (-15%) from Vow: Cannot Wear Armor [-15]
Old 07-21-2016, 04:31 PM   #38
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
Feather Fall reduces falling damage to nothing, not just reduces it. A limitation on Flight or Super Jump is probably going to work out better.
GURPS doesn't do absolute effects very well. That said I'm not sure if I'd say "Yeah, Flight, but only 5 ft above the ground." That feels weird. Were I building this as a Sorcery spell I'd probably use a modified Catfall with Reliable, Cosmic, No Die Roll Required, and possible bundled Acrobatics at a decent level.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:59 PM   #39
Rindis

This is my current full writeup of Feather Fall:

Feather Fall
Alteration, Verbal, Buff
42 points
Casting Time: 1 second
Casting Roll: None. Touch, or use Innate Attack (Gaze) to aim.
Range: 10 yards
Duration: 3 minutes

Casting this spell upon a subject causes him to fall as if he was as light as a feather. He has no control over his descent (unless he already has wings; or at the GM’s discretion, a reasonable substitute, such as a cape to catch air with, might allow Air Move 1). However, descent is at a steady 1 yard/second (unless the spell should wear off before that time; calculate falling velocity from the subject’s current height). Moreover, the time to hit the ground will allow the subject of the spell to land properly, and take no damage, unless he is bound, unconscious, or otherwise incapacitated.

This will not otherwise affect the subject. His normal (non-air) movement will not be affected, and objects not in free fall (i.e., held) will act normally. He can be grabbed while in mid-air and towed around (assume half-weight for Move encumbrance as there is no resistance other than inertia), or blown around in a strong wind.

Affliction 1 (HT; Advantage: Flight (Controlled Fall, -60%), +160%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Increased 1/2D, 10x, +15%; Link, +10%; Reduced Range, /10, -30%; Requires Magic Words, -10%; Sorcery, -15%) [2.3x10] + Affliction 1 (HT; Advantage: Catfall, +100%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Increased 1/2D, 10x +15%; Link, +10%; Reduced Range, /10, -30%; Requires Magic Words, -10%) [1.85x10]
*NOTE: Flight ordinarily removes an implied Taboo Trait: Air Move 0. “Controlled Fall” is Gliding while also not removing the Taboo Trait. As Gliding has you drop one yard every second that you do not decelerate, and Air Move is always 0, you always drop one yard. Note that anyone who already has Flight will have an Air Move they can use instead.

The modifier for Controlled Fall is something of a guess, and might be worth up to -70%.

This is a spell that could be abused, and cast on a subject that would want to resist. Which means putting on Malediction and rejiggering range, etc.

Also, I was wanting a 1 minute duration, which means it needs a level of Reduced Duration.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:10 PM   #40
Rindis

I've just posted my current thoughts on D&D as Sorcery. Took a lot more time to pound into shape than I hoped, and I'm not sure when I'll get back really working on spells again (other things are back to demanding time). However, I do hope to be posting a few more and related questions here at some point.

http://www.rindis.com/blog/3649

Last edited by Rindis; 08-01-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Rindis is offline   Reply With Quote