Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-17-2018, 12:00 PM   #1
lvalero

Default Obscure and Darkness

In the context of DF, but I suppose the answer would be the same in other campaigns: Do the attack penalties granted by Obscure (Vision) stack with the penalties granted by darkness (either normal or magical one)?

The quick & dirty answer is "you are the GM, make as you like" but I am interested in your opinion. If you can point to a page reference, the better. But, if not, I am interested as well.

Thx!

Last edited by lvalero; 01-17-2018 at 12:05 PM.
lvalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Obscure and Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvalero View Post
In the context of DF, but I suppose the answer would be the same in other campaigns: Do the attack penalties granted by Obscure (Vision) stack with the penalties granted by darkness (either normal or magical one)?
I would say that they stack, yes. I don't know of a page reference for this, but I'm going to assume it's the case because of the wording of Obscure - it doesn't say it doesn't stack, so it should.

However, the special effects of Obscure are going to be important here. If you define it as a darkness power, removing light from the area, then it would still stack with "natural" darkness penalties, since you can generally make a dark area still darker, but things that negate darkness penalties (like the Night Vision advantage, night-vision goggles, etc.) will be able to see through it. Whereas if you define it as magic fog, Night Vision won't help, but a water-bender's "fog sense" ability to negate sensory penalties from fog and mist will help.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #3
Anaraxes

The net total for all visual penalties has a floor of -10. (Enhanced Senses p13; maybe other places) So, penalties stack, but only up to the point where you're effectively blind. It doesn't get worse than that, no matter how many reasons there are that you can't see.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
JoelSammallahti

I'd definitely let it stack, since it doesn't stay otherwise. I'd compare it to burning someone with a fire attack when they're already on fire: all the better. I'd say Doesn't Stack With Darkness would make sense as a limitation at -30% or so.
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:01 PM   #5
lvalero

Thanks for the replies!
Old 01-17-2018, 02:22 PM   #6
Anthony

I'm not sure it's so much that penalties cannot exceed 10 as that you can always choose to behave as if the target is invisible (which is -6 or -10, if you can make a roll with another sense to determine where to attack).