Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-25-2020, 07:26 AM   #1
lvalero

Default [DF] Imbuement: Parry/Block energy

How would you model the ability to imbue your shield with chi in order to be able to block energy attacks such as fireball, explosive firewall, lightning bolts or even a dragon fire breath?

Same question but for parry skill. I want the PC to be able to imbue his sword to parry energy attacks or even area attacks such as an explosion.

I am looking for some sort of imbuement but I am open to other alternatives such as "chi power parry" to increase the armor against the attack only if regular blocking/parrying roll is successfull

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #2
zoncxs

Default Re: [DF] Imbuement: Parry/Block energy

You can already dodge or block energy attacks.

To protect against AoE and explosions, you need Widen Shield imbuement skill. Pyramid 3/4.

Parry Missile Weapons is what you use to parry energy attacks with a melee weapon (or unarmed if you are wearing DR 2+ gloves, have DR 2+ naturally, or using a striker).

I am still looking to see if there is a way to parry AoE and explosions.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:48 AM   #3
Refplace

Have you seen the Defensive Imbuement article in Pyramid?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:26 AM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
To protect against AoE and explosions, you need Widen Shield imbuement skill. Pyramid 3/4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Have you seen the Defensive Imbuement article in Pyramid?
For the avoidance of doubt, these are the same article: "Perfect Defense", by Kelly Pedersen, in Pyramid #3/004, "Magic on the Battlefield."
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:01 PM   #5
Plane

Quote:
You can already dodge or block energy attacks
Including using other characters (B375 "block with his body")

So if a mage is tossing fireballs at you and you can't dodge well, since you can't parry a fireball, you should:

1) drop your sword
2) pick up a nearby mouse
3) use the mouse as an improvised shield to block the fireball
I think you might be able to 'block' with a sword (using the shield skill) if you define the sword as a character.

There's no mention of different sized characters being better or worse at being an improvised buckler, but I would imagine that maybe Size Modifier and shape ought to contribute to that.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:51 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
For the avoidance of doubt, these are the same article: "Perfect Defense", by Kelly Pedersen, in Pyramid #3/004, "Magic on the Battlefield."
Thats the one!
I recall it had a energy defense. And as Plane suggested I think you could apply a block to a sword, no DB, maybe a penalty based on SM too. In a cinematic game seems ok, even better with powers backing it up.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 01-25-2020, 03:36 PM   #7
talonthehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Including using other characters (B375 "block with his body")

So if a mage is tossing fireballs at you and you can't dodge well, since you can't parry a fireball, you should:

1) drop your sword
2) pick up a nearby mouse
3) use the mouse as an improvised shield to block the fireball
I think you might be able to 'block' with a sword (using the shield skill) if you define the sword as a character.

There's no mention of different sized characters being better or worse at being an improvised buckler, but I would imagine that maybe Size Modifier and shape ought to contribute to that.
Thank the heavens for rule zero.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:32 PM   #8
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Thats the one!
I recall it had a energy defense. And as Plane suggested I think you could apply a block to a sword, no DB, maybe a penalty based on SM too. In a cinematic game seems ok, even better with powers backing it up.
Kinda feel like you completely ignored my post where I also mentioned that article.

On the Energy defense part, you are recalling the imbuement skill called "energizing Defense", but that does not do what you think it does.

"...Each point of damage that your armor’s DR stops – or the full damage of an attack that you successfully block with your shield – becomes one character point that you can use to improve your traits (anything but skills), exactly as per the Absorption enhancement on p. B46..."

As mentioned in my original post, you can already block energy attacks (unless otherwise stated for said specific energy attack), to block Area attacks and explosions you need some way to provide cover, which is why I suggested Widen Shield imbuement skill.

"...This allows it to provide you and possibly others cover from explosions, cones, and area-effect attacks..."
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:36 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvalero View Post
How would you model the ability to imbue your shield with chi in order to be able to block energy attacks such as fireball, explosive firewall, lightning bolts or even a dragon fire breath?

Same question but for parry skill. I want the PC to be able to imbue his sword to parry energy attacks or even area attacks such as an explosion.

I am looking for some sort of imbuement but I am open to other alternatives such as "chi power parry" to increase the armor against the attack only if regular blocking/parrying roll is successfull

Thanks!
Seems like you'd need a new imbuement to do that. I'd call it an Imbue 1 power. Maybe Imbue 2.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:11 PM   #10
Refplace

Quote:
Kinda feel like you completely ignored my post where I also mentioned that article.
No, that was a reply relted to another post where I was asking if the Op had read it. And Widen Shield is a good choice
My GURPS Wiki entries

Tags
defense, imbuements