Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 01-04-2020, 07:46 AM   #21
beetle496

Default Re: Painting minis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
I especially want to see his windscreen technique layed out clearly with a discussion of the colors he uses. I'm not going to be able to paint at his level, but I'm confident that I can get a good job on the other parts of the cars.
+1, everything but the large windows should be managable with my amateur talents. Clues for glass would be much appreciated!
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:04 AM   #22
JAA

Don't forget everyone, airbrushing is probably a perfect technique for cars. You can get some great mini-airbrushes quite cheap these days (about £40 UK prices off Ebay). Then do the fine detail with normal brushes.

+1 Games Workshop Paints
+1 Army Painter
JAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:38 AM   #23
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA View Post
Don't forget everyone, airbrushing is probably a perfect technique for cars.
I'm planning on borrowing one.
I'll base coat with Grey Seer, then airbrush the body color. Then the rest is details.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:03 PM   #24
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

I'm pretty sure my FLGS has airbrush classes along with their painting classes.

Might be time for me to look into airbrushing.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:54 PM   #25
kbs666

Airbrushing looks to give very even coverage lightly enough that very little detail is lost. I've never tried it but I play 40k with someone who does and the results look fantastic.
kbs666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:43 AM   #26
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Airbrushing looks to give very even coverage lightly enough that very little detail is lost. I've never tried it but I play 40k with someone who does and the results look fantastic.
You can get even coverage with very little detail lost using brushes.

I have not tried it, but my understanding is that main advantage of air brushing is the same as with spray paint: it is fast. But spray paints (1) are relatively expensive; and (2) not suitable for fine detail. Air brushing (not factoring the initial equipment cost) takes care are of (1) and makes (2) much less of an issue. If one does not have to paint faces, one might not need to pick up a brush at all!

If I had an army to paint, I would invest in airbrushing. In particular, there is a technique called Zenithal Priming which would work well for a low-skill lazy painter like myself. I might try it with the CW minis, but maybe stick with spray paints.

With only ~30 figures, and with each being unique, I plan to spend time on each one. OTOH, I think air brushing effects will be especially good look for metal vehicles. My miniature painting this past year has all been on biological humanoids and creatures, so I didn’t feel like I was missing anything.

Last edited by beetle496; 01-05-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:51 PM   #27
kbs666

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
Never wrote that you couldn't but if you have 40 space marines, for instance, and they all need a base coat of blue grey that is very tedious to do with brushes and traditional spray paint just ruins the minis.

The guy I know who has an airbrush has well over a 1000 points of every Space Marine chapter, plus sundry Eldar, Orks and Chaos Marines. He'd have gone blind painting all that by hand.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:27 PM   #28
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
…but if you have 40 space marines, for instance…
Yes, that is what I am saying: If you have lots of minis — and they are all very similar — then air brushing is the way to go.

I don’t think 30 car miniatures on its own is enough to justify investing in an airbrush. On the other hand, as I said, painting vehicles might be quite different than humanoids.

OTOH, I got a can of Army Painter Quickshade for xmas. Looks amazing!
Old 01-08-2020, 11:55 AM   #29
kbs666

Quote:
Yes, that is what I am saying: If you have lots of minis — and they are all very similar — then air brushing is the way to go.

I don’t think 30 car miniatures on its own is enough to justify investing in an airbrush. On the other hand, as I said, painting vehicles might be quite different than humanoids.
Painting vehicles are generally easier than people. Less curves and small detail. These minis look to have a lot of detail I doubt you're going to be faced with as many little buckles and things that need attention.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:47 AM   #30
JAA

Quote:
I am the annoying guy who first suggested airbrushing.

The main reason I did so was for the incredible blending effects you can get with airbrushing while still being a complete newbie at painting. (Don't forget to mask your car when necessary.)

For example, if you get two colours on opposite sides of the colour wheel and maybe blend the front of the bonnet (?hood? in USA speak), you can get some amazing effects.

It can look like a professional spray job, similar to the ones you see on real motorbikes, but just in miniature.

I will try and find some of Lukes APS's videos on airbrushing. There is another great guy who is amazing (he seems like he just ate a bag of sugar before making his videos). However, look at the highlighting you can do with this simple cloak:

Here is a basic example, possibly overworked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNPI2PLOFFs

Here is Lukes APS Channel (This guy is amazing - really good at explaining stuff too):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsm...Xqu3Jdw/videos

Here is Miniac's Channel (The person I think eats raw sugar):
https://www.youtube.com/user/SDubist/videos

Last edited by JAA; 01-09-2020 at 10:26 AM.
JAA is offline   Reply With Quote