Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 12-13-2019, 02:47 PM   #11
NORJustice

Default Re: Kickstarter Stretch Goal Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
It's not that easy. There are minimum order requirements and we need to be sure we have the necessary funds to cover the cost. If we just say "here ya go!" and only 25 backers order that add-on, we're out tens of thousands of dollars and have thousands of unsold units to deal with.

The stretch goals are constructed in such a way that we can avoid driving the project into the red and damaging the company. We're being very careful to make this as loaded as possible _and_ worth the effort so we can better justify continued support in the future.
Fair enough. I do appreciate everything you guys have been doing. I guess I just want to see the totals climb so more things can be revealed. Thank you.
NORJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:10 PM   #12
beetle496

KS needs something more for reluctant would-be-Aces to commit now rather than waiting until the game is available retail.

KS needs more KS-only items that will temp more Double Aces to up their pledge now rather than waiting until the KS is over. Items would need to be available only during KS (and not later on Warehouse23) so that backers are incentivized sooner than later.

The KS comments seem to have plenty of I-WANT-IT-ALL types who will upgrade their pledge every time a new miniature set or playmat is unlocked. Those folks sure are noisy, but I suspect they are in the minority. I think there are lots more Double Ace folks who find no compelling reason to commit more than $140 at this time.

If I am representative of the more frugal Double Ace folks, and if there are a good number of us, then I think it helps the campaign for SJG to know how I am thinking. I am asking myself: Is $40 for more miniatures or another playmat really going to increase my enjoyment of the game? I really do not think so!

Last edited by beetle496; 12-16-2019 at 06:41 AM. Reason: added sentences
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:15 AM   #13
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
The KS comments seem to have plenty of I-WANT-IT-ALL types who will upgrade their pledge every time a new miniature set or playmat is unlocked. Those folks sure are noisy, but I suspect they are in the minority. I think there are lots more Double Ace folks who find no compelling reason to commit more than $140 at this time.
I would counter that this is anecdotal, and everyone tends to think they are in the majority. Without a survey or other statistical data gathering, it's difficult to know how many people fall into either camp. The "I want it all tier" was extremely successful in The Fantasy Trip campaign, so there is a precedent.

Personally I plan to pledge for the new miniature set as soon as it's unlocked. But I can understand people who are contented with the core set as well. I am merely advocating caution about presuming what people as a whole want without hard facts at hand.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #14
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
KS needs more KS-only items that will temp more Double Aces to up their pledge now rather than waiting until the KS is over. Items would need to be available only during KS (and not later on Warehouse23) so that backers are incentivized sooner than later.
I think the only reason a Double Ace would wait until the item goes to Warehouse 23 would be if they did not have the money now. Presumably, they would pay more in shipping twice (once for the KS stuff and again when they ordered from W23) than they would in just getting the stuff now. Additionally, the retail cost will be higher after the KS.

I don't think KS only items are really going to reel in that many people who aren't buying add ons now and in fact, might create a sour taste in some people's mouth.

FWIW, I'm at the Double Ace level and that is all I'm planning on getting (with the exception of another set of bases possibly). I'd like the cards that come in the add on miniature sets but as I don't really want the minis, it's cost prohibitive.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:12 PM   #15
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
I think the only reason a Double Ace would wait until the item goes to Warehouse 23 would be if they did not have the money now.
Well, it is the time of year when having money now is a bit of an issue! But I agree with you about Double Ace, as SJG is throwing in so much at that pledge level!

It is the only-interested-in-the-core-game folks that I don’t think have a compelling reason to buy now. But that is mostly because of shipping costs, which one can avoid if you have a local game store.

Quote:
I don't think KS only items are really going to reel in that many people who aren't buying add ons now and in fact, might create a sour taste in some people's mouth.
Fair point about the sour taste, but I think SJG can thread that needle. For example, it would seem that the $25 Rule Pack is KS-only and that seems plenty popular and people are talking about it being a good value. Steeper KS-only discounts would also fall in that category. Also there could be some bling (like the shirts and dice bag) which, if they were KS-only, no one could complain.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:48 PM   #16
philreed
I do stuff and things.

There are not -- and will not be -- Kickstarter exclusive items. Those are problematic in a lot of different ways.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #17
sazzlefrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
There are not -- and will not be -- Kickstarter exclusive items. Those are problematic in a lot of different ways.
Perfect. I was hoping to hear that, I missed out on pledging early and now I'm glad to hear that I'm not going to be missing out on anything.

That's the exact reason why I didn't buy that certain zombie-type game after its KS, its too hard finding everything and too costly. And I'm not really supporting that game company by buying all of it later on, mostly just people who bought early and resold for very high.
sazzlefrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:10 AM   #18
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
I'd like a set of hazard miniatures to go with the cars. Jersey barriers, oil drums, tire spike strips, mines, etc. Doesn't need to be a ton of them. I think they could add to the 3D play experience.
+1

It's hard to find Jersey Barriers in correct 1/64 scale. None of the ones I can find seem long enough.

Other items that come to mind are Turrets, Tirewalls (you sometimessee them in racing), and ISO Shipping Containers (A -Team used these quite well).

Not really a fan of 3D for mines or anything that a car needs to run over, but color printed transparencies of those kinds of items would be sweet.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #19
Shadekeep

One other add-on idea comes from the Pocket Box games - an expansion box to house the extras. I realise that the minis and such already come in their own box, but a large companion box with artwork would be nifty.

Obviously there would have to be enough demand to make the print run feasible, and I have no clue how many people this would appeal to. With the Pocket Box games you all were using the same box already in manufacture with just a different cover art sticker, so it was much easier to accommodate.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:31 PM   #20
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
One other add-on idea comes from the Pocket Box games - an expansion box to house the extras. I realise that the minis and such already come in their own box, but a large companion box with artwork would be nifty.

Obviously there would have to be enough demand to make the print run feasible, and I have no clue how many people this would appeal to. With the Pocket Box games you all were using the same box already in manufacture with just a different cover art sticker, so it was much easier to accommodate.
I'm also very much in favor of one box to hold it all. Perhaps even with some of the Classic art. (I always liked the one on the back of the Pocket Box). I'm liable to make one of my own if one isn't available.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote