Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
kjamma4
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicagoland Area, Illinois
Default Confusion over choosing an option vs. declaring it

New to TFT so I've been reading the forums about the options your figure can take, changing them, defending, etc.

Is it RAW to actually declare your option out loud? If not, is this something everyone does anyway?

In my mind, it seems like you should be able to move your figure based upon adjDX (and your engaged/disengaged/HTH status) and then depending upon the length of your move and other facts, be able to execute in adjDX order your "attack"

I know you can change your option but is there any need to verbally declare in the first place?
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
Chris Rice
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: London Uk, but originally from Scotland
Default Re: Confusion over choosing an option vs. declaring it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
New to TFT so I've been reading the forums about the options your figure can take, changing them, defending, etc.

Is it RAW to actually declare your option out loud? If not, is this something everyone does anyway?

In my mind, it seems like you should be able to move your figure based upon adjDX (and your engaged/disengaged/HTH status) and then depending upon the length of your move and other facts, be able to execute in adjDX order your "attack"

I know you can change your option but is there any need to verbally declare in the first place?
Actually you move your figures based on which side won initiative (and their MA) so DX has nothing to do with movement order.

But you're right, since you can change what action you take at any time up until you make it I see no reason to declare it. You can just say "I'm moving up to half my MA (or whatever you choose) and then decide what action to take once your turn comes.

Im curious how others see this.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #3
RobW
 
RobW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Default Re: Confusion over choosing an option vs. declaring it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
But you're right, since you can change what action you take at any time up until you make it I see no reason to declare it. You can just say "I'm moving up to half my MA (or whatever you choose) and then decide what action to take once your turn comes.

Im curious how others see this.
Same. It is much simpler to explain and think about the turn sequence in this way, rather than the wrestling with the idea that for some reason you are choosing an option which you don't execute and then may later change anyway.

Anyway, although the explanation in the rules is awkward, the idea that the figures establish their positions, and then the options available are constantly changing during the action phase, is one of several key things to my mind that make the TFT combat system so enjoyable.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:01 PM   #4
malchidael
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Near Milwaukee, WI
Default Re: Confusion over choosing an option vs. declaring it

That's exactly how I've played it - no need to declare action until your action turn.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:51 PM   #5
oldwolf
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Default Re: Confusion over choosing an option vs. declaring it

I think Chris Rice has it right.
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #6
Lord Twig
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Default Re: Confusion over choosing an option vs. declaring it

If you are dodging or defending then it would be helpful to declare that first before anyone else acts. Other than that it doesn't matter.
Lord Twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #7
kjamma4
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicagoland Area, Illinois
Default Re: Confusion over choosing an option vs. declaring it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Twig View Post
If you are dodging or defending then it would be helpful to declare that first before anyone else acts. Other than that it doesn't matter.
Why would that be helpful? Couldn’t that tip your hand?
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #8
Axly Suregrip
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Default Re: Confusion over choosing an option vs. declaring it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Why would that be helpful? Couldn’t that tip your hand?
kjamma you got it right. Yes, waiting to announce you are defending until the attack is announced against you is best. This is out of necessity when your adjDX is lower then the attacker. But if your adjDX is higher than the attacker you will need to announce it when it is your turn to act.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:27 PM   #9
larsdangly
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default Re: Confusion over choosing an option vs. declaring it

You move however you want to move during movement phase (within restrictions of MA, engagement, terrain, etc.). Then you do whatever action you want, consistent with the move you made and your engagement status at the end of movement. The end.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:09 AM   #10
Tywyll
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Default Re: Confusion over choosing an option vs. declaring it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Why would that be helpful? Couldn’t that tip your hand?
I would think it would be obvious what you are doing though, wouldn't it? You are clearly jinking back and forth, trying to make the ranged attacker have a hard time, right? At the very least you are giving the missile user a dead-eyed stare, poised and ready, which would be very different from your buddy a few hexes over who is readying a weapon or whatever.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.