Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-21-2019, 12:16 AM   #21
Jeff Lord

Default Re: TFT custom dice

Maybe just the megahex itself? That is kind of a (though not the only possible) default "logo" for TFT.

Last edited by Jeff Lord; 04-21-2019 at 12:24 AM.
Jeff Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:29 AM   #22
schoon

Not that it necessarily needs a logo, but I've always considered the ITL Gothic script to be the trademark of the game.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:41 AM   #23
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymc View Post
Maybe TFT really does need a logo? There isn’t one, really.

It needs to feature the distinctive megahex, certainly. Maybe something like this...

https://twitter.com/tftguy/status/11...366633984?s=21
That actually works for me. Especially the second version below...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:46 AM   #24
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoon View Post
Not that it necessarily needs a logo, but I've always considered the ITL Gothic script to be the trademark of the game.
Absolutely. We use the Gothic Script T for the fan microbadge over at Boardgamegeek. It's simple and immediately recognisable. Guy's design is interesting but to me it is way too busy for a dice face. The Gothic Script has always symbolised TFT to me.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:48 AM   #25
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoon View Post
That's just the blackletter font 'Old English' though, which doesn't belong exclusively to SJG. They do have a trademark for the whole title "The Fantasy Trip", but that trademark presumably applies regardless of whether it's written in Old English or not. And I doubt very much they could get (or enforce) a trademark for just a T, or even 'TFT' in the same font.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:50 AM   #26
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
That's just the blackletter font 'Old English' though, which doesn't belong exclusively to SJG. They do have a trademark for the whole title "The Fantasy Trip", but that trademark presumably applies regardless of whether it's written in Old English or not. And I doubt very much they could get (or enforce) a trademark for just a T, or even 'TFT' in the same font.

I don't think "trademark" was meant in a legal sense.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:59 AM   #27
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I don't think "trademark" was meant in a legal sense.
Hm… possibly not.

But if we're talking about a ~Logo~, you'd want it to be a legal trademark, not just an easily-recognized association. That Old English T is fine in an informal usage (for fans on BGG), but wouldn't work as an Official Logo.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:04 AM   #28
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Thanks, everyone, for the discussion about custom dice for The Fantasy Trip. A couple of the ideas stood out as worth exploring, so we experimented a little with concepts inspired by this thread.

The challenge with dice is getting the level of detail _just_ right so that the design can be cut into steel and work as an injection molded die. With the number of dice produced with laser cutters on the market, as well as a wide range of resin dice, the idea of what works and what doesn't as a die has blurred a lot. Whenever we produce new acrylic or urea dice designs, we review everything in-house until we're happy . . . and then the factory takes a stab at things, making adjustments necessary for the mass-manufacturing process.

The designs here are pre-factory review.

At the moment, these are simply concepts and not on our manufacturing schedule.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tftdiceconcept.jpg (95.3 KB, 96 views)
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:47 AM   #29
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Thanks, everyone, for the discussion about custom dice for The Fantasy Trip. A couple of the ideas stood out as worth exploring, so we experimented a little with concepts inspired by this thread.

The challenge with dice is getting the level of detail _just_ right so that the design can be cut into steel and work as an injection molded die. With the number of dice produced with laser cutters on the market, as well as a wide range of resin dice, the idea of what works and what doesn't as a die has blurred a lot. Whenever we produce new acrylic or urea dice designs, we review everything in-house until we're happy . . . and then the factory takes a stab at things, making adjustments necessary for the mass-manufacturing process.

Actually, I really like both of those design concepts.

I'm not a dice fanatic the way some people are (dice are dice -- as long as they roll well and show me what my results are, I don't usually really care much about design themes and color schemes and whatnot), but I would pop for either of those designs. (One Kickstarter I AM backing though is the "Doublesix Dice - Generation Two" one going on right now. THERE'S a design concept that makes a LOT of sense to me!)

Last edited by JLV; 04-21-2019 at 03:53 AM.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:09 AM   #30
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post

I like the megahex design very much, but I suspect those fine lines would get lost, especially with any of the hex-pips filled in beside them. (If the dice were larger than normal though, that would be less of a concern.)

The design with the numbers… meh. That doesn't do so much for me. I suppose it's better than the typical numbered dice, but the megahex design is much more interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
(One Kickstarter I AM backing though is the "Doublesix Dice - Generation Two" one going on right now. THERE'S a design concept that makes a LOT of sense to me!)
Ditto, and I'm backing that one too!

Now if only I could talk somebody into doing the giant d60 that I've been dreaming of for years — which would let you roll 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5, 1-6, 1-10, 1-12, 1-15, 1-20, 1-30 and 1-60, all on the same die… I'd back that monster in a flat second.

If I had any clue how to arrange for its manufacture, I'd do it myself. And I'd call it the "d60 of Babylon" just for fun.