Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-17-2019, 05:53 PM   #11
nemomeme

Default Re: Two Weapons - Weapon Expertise - Defend

So the consensus for someone with both of these Talents is...

1) Foes are at a -1DX to hit them with melee attacks regardless.

2) The double-parry "attack option" provides for melee attacks coming from that hero's front hexes both a 4/DX to-hit and 4 hits of protection. A foe striking from that hero's side or rear would need the standard 3/DX, receive the appropriate bonus to hit them and the Florentine style would give no damage protection.

3) If the hero chooses Defend, opponents need 5/DX to-hit them with melee attacks from every facing & the Two Weapons Talent is providing no additional help in this case.

A hero with both Talents may have some interesting conditional options to consider as they become surrounded that some other hero might not, but there is otherwise NO synergy in possessing both Talents.

Have I got that right?
nemomeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:50 AM   #12
MikMod

Just My Opinion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemomeme View Post
1) Foes are at a -1DX to hit them with melee attacks regardless.
Seems so from RAW, but I am uncomfortable allowing this with side/rear attacks as I can't see the logic.

Quote:
2) The double-parry "attack option" provides for melee attacks coming from that hero's front hexes both a 4/DX to-hit and 4 hits of protection. A foe striking from that hero's side or rear would need the standard 3/DX, receive the appropriate bonus to hit them and the Florentine style would give no damage protection.
Yep - that's how I see it.

Quote:
3) If the hero chooses Defend, opponents need 5/DX to-hit them with melee attacks from every facing & the Two Weapons Talent is providing no additional help in this case.
Yes, unless you beg the GM to allow you to use your off-hand weapon as a shield and get 2 points of protection. I think I would allow this. Otherwise what is your off hand doing? Flopping around uselessly?

However, I don't see Defend as protecting you from side and rear attacks. I may be wrong, but the writeup for Defend goes on about how you need a weapon or something to 'parry the blows' and I dont' see how you can do that when someone is behind you.
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:07 AM   #13
Tywyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMod View Post
Just My Opinion:

However, I don't see Defend as protecting you from side and rear attacks. I may be wrong, but the writeup for Defend goes on about how you need a weapon or something to 'parry the blows' and I dont' see how you can do that when someone is behind you.
You clearly don't watch enough cinematic sword fighting films!
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:08 AM   #14
Tywyll

How does any of this change if the weapons used are main gauche? Does that impact it at all?
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:29 AM   #15
MikMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
You clearly don't watch enough cinematic sword fighting films!
Defending isn't just for Fencers you know :)
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:40 PM   #16
RobW

Also the double parry option has the advantage that, regardless of how you interpret the current rules for Defending, double parry is explicitly available to a figure that has moved 1/2 MA or less (ie a figure that can choose an attack option).
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:14 AM   #17
JustAnotherJarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
How does any of this change if the weapons used are main gauche? Does that impact it at all?
It appears not much would change, just the main-gauche only absorbs 1 hit where a proper sword absorbs 2 hits.
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote