Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-09-2014, 01:36 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default [MA] Finger Lock - what's the point?

Greetings, all!

I'm looking at the Finger Lock technique, and I'm trying to figure why anyone living in our world (without ogres etc.) would want to learn it: it is a Hard technique that defaults to Arm Lock -3, and cripples the hand at >(HP/3) instead of >(HP/2). It requires an enemy with HP18+, to require 6 instead of 9 damage for a crippling, i.e. an economy of 3 damage done . . . but at this point you still deal 3 less damage due to the -3 default. And it's a Hard technique, meaning that you need to throw [2] at it to get a +1 to it, [4] for +3. And if you don't improve it to the maximum, you also have to account for the fact that you still have a lower chance to succeed at the initial grapple-lock than if using Arm Lock. Since Arm Lock is Average, you only ever want to improve Finger Lock after you maxed out Arm Lock, and if you have access to Technique Mastery (Arm Lock), you take that instead of a Hard secondary-default technique, because it provides greater versatility at the same cost. Oh, and the technique penalty means worse armour penetration, where relevant, too. Oh, and FL takes fewer total HP, even when it is as good for crippling purposes, which also translates to less Shock too. Worse for Causing Pain With Locks too. And harder to use Pressure Points, which fully disable the whole arm anyway. Oh, and a crippled hand still means the enemy can use elbow strikes and other handless tricks.

So: why would anyone want to learn Finger Lock? And why would anyone use it at default either?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 11-09-2014 at 01:59 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:10 AM   #2
WingedKagouti

Default Re: [MA] Finger Lock - what's the point?

A Finger Lock can be extremely painful if applied correctly and it only takes one hand to apply/maintain, leaving your other arm free. You need much more control and/or strength to apply the same amount of pain with an Arm Lock, and even more if you attempt to do it one handed.

You generally don't use a Finger Lock to damage, you use it to control.

That's at least my experience from back when I was practicing Jujutsu several years ago.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
A Finger Lock can be extremely painful if applied correctly and it only takes one hand to apply/maintain, leaving your other arm free. You need much more control and/or strength to apply the same amount of pain with an Arm Lock, and even more if you attempt to do it one handed.

You generally don't use a Finger Lock to damage, you use it to control.

That's at least my experience from back when I was practicing Jujutsu several years ago.
Quite. An eight-year-old with good knowledge of finger locks could, with proper technique, take a grown man to the ground. In fact, I've both seen it done and taught it.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:45 AM   #4
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
An eight-year-old with good knowledge of finger locks could, with proper technique, take a grown man to the ground.
Is this reflected mechanically, though? The lower crippling threshold doesn't model this situation. You'd want the lock to inflict a Condition for the pain.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:47 AM   #5
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Is this reflected mechanically, though? The lower crippling threshold doesn't model this situation. You'd want the lock to inflict a Condition for the pain.
That possibility is covered in TG as well. :D

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Greetings, all!

I'm looking at the Finger Lock technique, and I'm trying to figure why anyone living in our world (without ogres etc.) would want to learn it: it is a Hard technique that defaults to Arm Lock -3, and cripples the hand at >(HP/3) instead of >(HP/2).
If you look at Technical Grappling, you will see this is no longer true. Joint Locks in general follow the same pattern - they default to Judo, Wrestling, or the appropriate melee weapon skill. These particular locks are subsumed into "Hand Locks," and give the improved cripple threshold. The down side is you must first grapple the hand (-4 vs -2 Hand vs. Arm raw penalty, often but not always halved for grappling).

Quote:
So: why would anyone want to learn Finger Lock? And why would anyone use it at default either?
Thanks in advance!
Yes, I'm promoting my own work, but Hand Locks are, in TG, Average techniques. See pp. 38-39.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:12 AM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
If you look at Technical Grappling, you will see this is no longer true. [ . . . ] Yes, I'm promoting my own work, but Hand Locks are, in TG, Average techniques. See pp. 38-39.
Well let's face it: MA and TG are at least as big, likely bigger, than between 4e and 3e. I was hoping to understand finger locks in the context of MA, not throw away MA mechanics and replace them with different ones.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
You study the Chin Na Style so you can stack Technique Mastery: Finger Lock on top of TM: Arm Lock. You do this because it is _cool_.

This is the raison d'etre for many Techniques in Gurps.. Dumping more cp into the primary Skill almost always makes ore sense pointswise.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #9
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You study the Chin Na Style so you can stack Technique Mastery: Finger Lock on top of TM: Arm Lock. You do this because it is _cool_.
It's potentially effective, too, and fits all the stories of Chin Na mastery. Small Circle Jujitsu as well, at least the stories I kept reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
This is the raison d'etre for many Techniques in Gurps.. Dumping more cp into the primary Skill almost always makes ore sense pointswise.
I hope you mean "putting points in them" not "Technique Mastery." Somehow I doubt it, though. I know some people belong to the "never buy any Techniques" school of character design.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter V. Dell'Orto View Post

I hope you mean "putting points in them" not "Technique Mastery." Somehow I doubt it, though. I know some people belong to the "never buy any Techniques" school of character design.
I probably would put cp into a Technique and possibly even multiple Techniques but I would primarily do, it for reasons of characterization or at least unique capabilities like Choke Hold. The math seldom adds up compared to building up the base skill..

Tags
arm lock, arm or hand lock, finger lock, grappling, hand lock, martial arts