Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
xenotaff

Default Combining Fantasy

Hello All!

Well, finally i was able to get fantasy core set + exp 2-5 and 7-8, i really dont like #6.

My question will be, my daughers love vampires and creepy stuff so im planning on buying Bites 1-2, would this combine good with fantasy? or should i just play them separately?

Thank you.
xenotaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
Rev1L

Default Re: Combining Fantasy

It could. I don't think I've tried blending Fantasy and Bites, but in my experience blending almost any sets adds a new dimension to the game. You may want to blend it with just the core of fantasy and one or two of the expansions to avoid minimizing the experience of Bites. With 1-5, & 7-8 you won't have many Bites cards.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I've moved this to the main Munchkin forum because combining sets is really not a 101-level topic.

My advice (which is JUST advice) would be to play Bites by itself once or twice, to get a feel for it and learn the new rules, and then if you feel the urge, combine it with Munchkin. If you add Bites 2, add Munchkin 2 as well.

I'm sorry to hear you don't care for Munchkin 6, but it's easy enough to leave out!

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
xenotaff

Thank you for the advice, so to play bites with fantasy will be better to add both core sets + exp#2 for each one. Would have any issue maybe adding one additional expansion for fantasy?

About #6 is not that i dont care, just done see any use for it right now. Maybe will try it later :) .
Old 08-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
Mister Ed

Well, you can add what you like, but the idea is that if you add more expansions for one game than the other, it dilutes the "flavor" of the other title.

The only real hard and fast rule of blending (if such a thing can really be said to exist) is that you should start with the core sets of both themes. If you try to take the Fantasy core set and add JUST Bites 2, for example, that's not going to work very well at all.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:46 AM   #6
Myranda

Dungeons are brilliant fun for adding variety to games... the number of times a game of fantasy Munchkin, or Zombies, or Cthulhu has turned around completely because of a well timed dungeons. Perhaps worth giving a second chance.
Myranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
xenotaff

Thank you for you reponses.

What i will do for now is keep playing fantasy with what i have, then separately will play bites. At some point maybe i will put them together, maybe having two separate draw decks, one for fantasy and one for bites to avoid losing any content if players decides to... and sometime in the future i think i will be buying that 6th expansion of fantasy to try it.

Im not sure if this should be mixed here but are there any plans to add some other bites expansions in the future?
Old 08-31-2014, 02:42 PM   #8
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenotaff View Post
Im not sure if this should be mixed here but are there any plans to add some other bites expansions in the future?
We have not announced any, but the idea gets floated from time to time. Bites is a solid mid-tier set, so it's not at the top of our list for further expansion.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote