Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #21
Dragyn

Default Re: [OOC] Blood Reign

And how do we connect an English Journalist with a low-level Mafia Goodfellow?

<><
Dragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #22
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragyn View Post
He's writing about gourmet honey.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #23
Gemini

Quote:
Well maybe he doesn't have to be English, or he moved here a long time ago, and there's no reason a journalist shouldn't know people in the mafia.
Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #24
Dragyn

Quote:
These characters are childhood friends, that have grown up but not apart. They may be from any walk of life these days, but they always come together every couple of months for remembrance and bonding. A ball game, a camping trip.

Tonight, it's dinner at their favorite restaurant in Chinatown.
This is why I ask, Gemini.

I suppose I could loosen the "Childhood Friends" angle. I want the characters to at least be good friends, though.

<><
Old 05-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #25
Gemini

Well depending on how long you want the p.c s to have been friends, he could have been here 5 years or pretty much all his life, I don't really mind.
Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #26
Dragyn

Alright. You guys finish tweaking and give me some background, and we'll get started. You can iron out your relationship here in this thread so we know just how long you've been friends, etc.

We might still add another player if someone shows more interest, but for now, it's a two-man show.

<><
Old 05-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #27
ErhnamDJ

I got my sheet finished. Now I just need to write up his backstory. How is he to know this Englishman?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #28
Dragyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
I got my sheet finished. Now I just need to write up his backstory. How is he to know this Englishman?
That signature gear makes me a little ill. :)

As for the friendship, perhaps a young Master Hayes came to the US with his family for a time during his teens, and you met in school, then he went back to the UK, grew up, and became a successful journalist.

<><
Old 05-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #29
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
That signature gear makes me a little ill. :)
Tricked out to look inconspicuous.

Quote:
As for the friendship, perhaps a young Master Hayes came to the US with his family for a time during his teens, and you met in school, then he went back to the UK, grew up, and became a successful journalist.
That might work.

I figure my character is the son of an Irishman and the sister of another low-level mafia member, and he was only able to get in because of his uncle, though he has never been able to rise through the ranks because of his parentage.

He's done some time for a robbery he was involved in, and they could definitely get him for a RICO violation if they ever looked into him too closely. He lives upstate now and raises bees. He got interested in honey after they helped smuggle in a shipment of the gourmet stuff back in the late nineties. They keep him upstate as their car guy now, and he does work mostly with shipments.

He was in the army for a while in the nineties as well, between the gulf war and the return to Iraq, so during the boring years. But he could have met a reporter during that time, if he was stationed somewhere. But our reporter here looks to be too young. He's only twenty-nine, whereas my guy is about thirty-six. I guess I could change that to make it work, but if you want us to be childhood friends, that's not going to be easy. Looking at Richard's skills, I see that he has Savoir-Faire (Mafia). Maybe my guy did a job in England and that's how they met? I'd be pretty interested in learning how an Englishman got such high Guns skills. No easy access to pistols over in England is there?

So, let's say the Englishman moved to the US a long time ago, and he grew in the same neighborhood as my character. Maybe he was even involved in some low-level mafia operations in his youth, perhaps with my character.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #30
Jovus

I would be potentially interested, but I've never actually played in a PbP, so I'm not sure how this works properly.
Jovus is offline   Reply With Quote