Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 10-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Fixing the Goblin loophole

Start Goblins with ST 6, DX 10, IQ 10 and six extra points.

This way the players are denied hyperintelligent starting wizard PCs.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:31 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Fixing the Goblin loophole

I think I'd rather fix the problem with high starting IQ being a problem. Or just disallow starting at IQ > 16, if that's an inescapably bad thing.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:40 PM   #3
TippetsTX

I actually like the twist on stereotype... so much so that I made 'smart' goblins one of the big bads in my homebrew D&D setting I created after HS. They commanded legions of hobgoblins and were among some of the most powerful mages in the world. I had forgotten where I originally got that idea, but it probably came from TFT.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:23 PM   #4
hcobb

Note that even with this change Goblins still do better at GMIC-ary than humans, but it isn't a first month on the job sort of thing.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:29 PM   #5
Tenex

Isn't this largely self-correcting? A starting goblin wizard with ST 6, DX 8, and IQ 18 is going to be challenging to keep alive.
Tenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Note that even with this change Goblins still do better at GMIC-ary than humans, but it isn't a first month on the job sort of thing.
This seems to have more to do with ST not mattering for crafting than with goblins per se.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:06 PM   #7
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenex View Post
Isn't this largely self-correcting? A starting goblin wizard with ST 6, DX 8, and IQ 18 is going to be challenging to keep alive.
A group of starting players summon up a few demons to plus up their attributes. If they fail then just start over.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:11 PM   #8
Tenex

Quote:
A group of starting players summon up a few demons to plus up their attributes. If they fail then just start over.
Hmmm. OK. Is this sort of like the old experience from jobs thing? Under this process it seems you might as well just give the players 34, 35, 36 or whatever arbitrary level of CP to begin with.
Tenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:25 PM   #9
TippetsTX

Quote:
Make 'Goblin Made' great again!
Old 10-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #10
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
I actually like the twist on stereotype... so much so that I made 'smart' goblins one of the big bads in my homebrew D&D setting I created after HS. They commanded legions of hobgoblins and were among some of the most powerful mages in the world. I had forgotten where I originally got that idea, but it probably came from TFT.
A nation led by goblins was one of the main conquerors in my original TFT campaign (where goblins start at the traditional ST 6 DX 8 IQ 10 + 6 extra) by being the upper castes in a society that also has many hobgoblins and orcs and human, and by being generally not stupid, and taking advantage of their trustworthiness.

I welcome PCs starting goblins as 32 points, but don't like the side-effect of 500 XP as the only way to learn a spell or talent, so that's where I'd house-rule a fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenex View Post
It would tend to, if you give out XP awards for combat and not for sitting through a session and roleplaying non-dangerous situations.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote