Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 01-29-2016, 01:05 PM   #21
Magesmiley

Default Re: Combat Garage Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
I'm sorry to say that even with latest update , Combat Garage is still unnavigable - at least on the devices we use .
So far my phone & my friend's tablet cut off options . Local Library's PCs are better , BUT I can't add Wheelhubs to Front tires , APFSDS Ammo won't load , PCs can't be added to Med PP & Armor won't slope etc , etc . Screens seem to 'jump' and vehicle outlines & titles are superimposed on top of one another . Not sure if this is a UK or local problem ( it wouldn't be the first .. ) and it is an extreme pain .
I have almost a thousand designs I which to share - now that I'm no longer data limited - and I've been told some are unique & very effective .
The Garage doesn't resize or play well with smaller screens. I know this is in Aaron's won't fix bucket because I've asked.

I suspect that the other problem that you're running into is that the default ruleset is Car Wars Classic. All of the items you indicated don't exist in the Classic rules. You need to change it to either the Compendium or UACFH to be able to use those.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:18 PM   #22
juris

That's strange it works with my iphone - a bit clunky but it works. One trick for screen size problems is the Tab key - that'll jump down the page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
The Garage doesn't resize or play well with smaller screens. I know this is in Aaron's won't fix bucket because I've asked.

I suspect that the other problem that you're running into is that the default ruleset is Car Wars Classic. All of the items you indicated don't exist in the Classic rules. You need to change it to either the Compendium or UACFH to be able to use those.
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #23
Racer

While on PC at Library I couldn't change the ruleset , however I COULD on my friends tablet but then options were still inaccessible . We had similar problems in UK with the upgrade to Android 5.1 for Knights & Dragons - local servers couldn't cope for some reason & buttons wouldn't work anymore . I get different problems using the in built browser or Chrome to ...

Well I may have to start posting them in topic again , just like in 2009 ... oh well .
Old 01-30-2016, 12:51 PM   #24
Racer

Managed to FINALLY get some result , but wasn't able to check I'd saved my vehicle until I had opened another window using different browser . Took about 25-35 minutes which is not good or convenient .

ALSO noticed that Steelbelted Tires STILL only get +25% DP Bonus , rather than the correct +33% DP . 28 years since this was corrected in ADQ 6/3 ( and reiterated in ADQ 7/1 and Car Warriors comic ) & yet the mistakes in various editions of Compendium are still propagated to this day ... :-(

Plus 7 DP SBHD Tires look a bit silly .

EDIT : Can't seem to save more designs AT ALL for now . Buttons turn themselves on/off at random & impossible to keep UACFH/Pyramid setting ON - LMGs removed repeatedly from designs etc .

Really not happy with results ...

Last edited by Racer; 01-31-2016 at 03:49 AM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:07 PM   #25
Racer

AND it takes 1-3 DAYS for your design to be posted as Stock Vehicle - in meantime it is IMPOSSIBLE to tell if it has been saved . I got email confirmation AFTER it was posted - on my 2nd design at least . There is something seriously screwy going on with the website interface ... :-/ :-(
Old 02-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #26
Magesmiley

Quote:
AND it takes 1-3 DAYS for your design to be posted as Stock Vehicle - in meantime it is IMPOSSIBLE to tell if it has been saved . I got email confirmation AFTER it was posted - on my 2nd design at least . There is something seriously screwy going on with the website interface ... :-/ :-(
It seems to be working normally for me.

You don't have to submit your cars as a stock car - you can just save it and mail yourself a pdf.

Please keep in mind that the Garage is project that Aaron is doing in his free time. And that he's sharing it with the rest of us at no cost (and no ads). He's actually paying for the servers to run the Garage. He's doing it as a favor to other fans of Car Wars. And I for one appreciate it quite a bit.

Putting my developer hat on, bug reports do help. Vague claims of non-functionality aren't very helpful. What is really useful for developers is a detailed step-by-step list of what you did, what you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened. Screenshots can be nice too.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #27
Racer

Sorry for my small rant , I was really frustrated & compared to just posting stats here , it was very time consuming . I understand that 99% of others find it okay - it's just my luck I'm the one who can't use the interface . It isn't the only problem I have : cannot use What's App at all & can no long play most online games since September .

Having used vehicle design interfaces on PCs for games like Master of Orion II + 3 , Frontier : Elite 2 , Star Fleet Battles : The Neutral Zone & Battlefield 2050 etc etc , I found the tiny buttons very inconvenient on my smallish screen . Not being able to immediately edit my text as last design 'vanished' , I was worried I'd made a mistake or perhaps be misundersood & not be able to correct it .
I have a 'problem' that makes me overly critical in self analysis - re-editing what I post is just a small part of it & I apologise in venting any selfdoubts in others directions .

Last edited by Racer; 02-05-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #28
Magesmiley

Quote:
Sorry for my small rant , I was really frustrated & compared to just posting stats here , it was very time consuming . I understand that 99% of others find it okay - it's just my luck I'm the one who can't use the interface . It isn't the only problem I have : cannot use What's App at all & can no long play most online games since September .
That almost sounds like you might have a problem with your browser. You mentioned you were accessing it from a phone? Is there another browser that you could try?

Old 02-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #29
Racer

Both browsers - built in one & Chrome - have differing problems . I also had problems on friend's tablet . I'll see if I can get better results on my girlfriend's laptop next week or so .
Old 02-09-2016, 09:11 AM   #30
Racer

Used a different browser on different computer at Library and got it to work with some trial & error . :-)

One thing I did notice is seems impossible to Component Armour two identical weapons together AND have a Blow Through Concealment on just one of them ?? :-/

Apart from that I'm much happier now .