Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 07-26-2006, 01:25 PM   #261
knarf

Default Re: [PURE THEORY] Low-Tech vs Fantasy-Tech

I think getting the concept of the book across is going to take more than 2 words, even if one of those is "Tech." It might take a compelling subtitle to make it worthwhile.

Also, I think by "Fantasy Tech", they're not specifically talking about magic items. It's probably more about exotic materials like orichalcum and adamant and TL 2+2 gadgets that didn't exist but people thought could happen.
knarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:53 PM   #262
KevinJ

I should get a medal for plowing through this thread...

There are basically two groups warring over this concept:

Gamers who wouldn't know a Bohemian Earspoon from a hole in the ground and pretty much don't care because it does uber damage.

And

People who want to run a fantasy game world based on reality rather than crap fantasy like D20 uses.

I for one want to see agriculture, architecture, weapons, armor, medicine, transportation, power sources (muscle, wind, water), metalurgy, and yes, even political ideologies in the low tech book. I want to know how many people can live on an acre of land and what a cooper does. I want to know how long it takes to set up a yurt and how many miles a one legged man can walk with crutches. Why? Because it makes a believable world. If I want something unbelievable I would play another game because there are hundreds of crappy fantasy RPGs out there all the crunchy bits you could want with no substance to them. I know, I own at least 10 of them. Anjd I'm not alone. Lots of GMs want this kind of stuff and can't find it anywhere without reading way more than they have time for.

What I don't want to see is D&D style artwork with half assed descriptions made to please people who can barely read and are incapable of conjugating verbs or expressing themselves well.

Let's face it, when people talk about 'most gamers' they forget that those people like D20 for it's realism and can't learn to play GURPS because it doesn't have enough pictures.

As far as I'm concerned if your fantasy isn't based on reality you should go back to Diablo and D20.

Truth is stranger than fiction because fiction has to make sense.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:17 AM   #263
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ
I for one want to see agriculture, architecture, weapons, armor, medicine, transportation, power sources (muscle, wind, water), metalurgy, and yes, even political ideologies in the low tech book. I want to know how many people can live on an acre of land and what a cooper does. I want to know how long it takes to set up a yurt and how many miles a one legged man can walk with crutches.
Then you should get your grubby hands on Low-Tech 3e.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ
What I don't want to see is D&D style artwork with half assed descriptions made to please people who can barely read and are incapable of conjugating verbs or expressing themselves well.
You won't get that anyway. As I've said before, the worst GURPS are still remarkably good compared to some of the things on the market.

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low-tech