Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-24-2007, 12:24 PM   #31
Gavynn

Default Re: The Point Always Beats the Edge Revisited and MA-compatible

I am not sure what historical analog (if any) the Basic Set was using for "Studded Leather Skirt". Being that it is listed as flexible I bet the authors had in mind something more similar to the AD&D fantasy armor description. I think it is ambiguous. So it is an open judgment call on what someone interprets that to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander
*Or perhaps, according to Douglas Adams, just like philosophy. ;)
Opposites tend to be studied in the same discipline anyway. :)
Gavynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:17 PM   #32
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

What about the "feathers" worn by greek hoplites, for example? Some of those certianly look to be leather or cloth with decroate metal panels. That's what I usually think of. But I don't think of studded leather much anymore.

I always thought split DRs for armours is great. I don't know if I care for the finer weapons distinctions, but that's may just be my desire for convience over finer resolution. I don't work too hard to make an axe a more potent weapon, because I already find them to be particularly potent. A fine Axe does Sw+3 cut, and I think that fairly allows the axe do more damage than a broadsword of the same cost.

This revision of yours, Icelander, leaves a much better taste in my mouth than the last one, with the various armour divisors. Technically, I know they're there.
Verjigorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:22 PM   #33
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm
I always thought split DRs for armours is great. I don't know if I care for the finer weapons distinctions, but that's may just be my desire for convience over finer resolution.
I certainly understand that and this is an entirely optional distinction for those who like finer resolution, compareable to MA's A Matter Of Inches.

Quote:
I don't work too hard to make an axe a more potent weapon, because I already find them to be particularly potent. A fine Axe does Sw+3 cut, and I think that fairly allows the axe do more damage than a broadsword of the same cost.
Still, even with the split armour DRs, axes are not noticable better than swords. Instead, each weapon has a tactical role for which it is suited and no one weapon is better than others at everything.

Quote:
This revision of yours, Icelander, leaves a much better taste in my mouth than the last one, with the various armour divisors. Technically, I know they're there.
That was the point (pun intended). ;)

This is much closer to something that could almost be put in a sidebar in the eagerly awaited CCoI.

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, house rules, low-tech, martial arts