Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #11
smoothhands

Default Re: Infinite use of "usable once only " - Second Chance Sparkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclaw View Post
The issue comes from Second Chance Sparkles which includes "...may be used again, even in the same combat."
Right. Mods have stated in the past that the effects of potions recovered by Second Chance Sparkles accumulate in the same battle.
smoothhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:42 AM   #12
thedag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsed View Post
I just got the fairy dust expantion and last time i played i had Second Chance Sparkles in play and played Magic Missile. I rolled a 3 so i played Fairy Fortune and turned the die to 6 and got the Magic Missile back. I then rolled a 2 on the roll to get the Fairy Fortune card back. I then played a Loded Die to turn the die to 6 and get the Fairy Fortune back. Loded Die is also usable once only so i rolled to get it back and got a 6.

Now i can do it again and so get unlimited Magic Missiles or any other "usable once only" items.
I can always roll a 6

Is that acording to the rules?
After getting the cards out and using them the only way the loop can continue endlessly is if you make a succesful roll to get the card back. if you don't then you would be using cards non-stop to make sure you get both fairy fortune and loaded die back. It may take you 10 attempts to have a succesful roll. If you kept doing that in my playing group we would get sick of it and gang up on you and kill you so you would lose the loaded die therefore preventing you from boring us to death with endless rolling. If you make a succesful roll at the beginning well good luck to you. Also beware of instant wall which prevents you from running away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBob View Post
Um, we don't. Nobody said anything about discarding SCS. The problem is that having SCS seems to allow one to use Loaded Die and Fairy Fortune in a never-ending chain of "my die rolls are no longer random." Which is bad.
It is also not a high chance of having both loaded die and fairy fortune I reckon so it seems to be just one of those things that can sometimes happen.
It also seems to be no different to using good bad & munchkin where one player one time got a bonus from any item with bow in its name and had every card in the set with 'bow' in its name and other cards like triple headgear bonus making his combat total around 40 when he was only level 3. He was unstoppable but it has only ever happened once. One could call this unfair but it isn't likely to happen often and being on the wrong end of that hiding I wasn't upset so personally see no reason to object to the combination in the OP.
thedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:01 AM   #13
thedag

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothhands View Post

Setup: one-shot item, 2 Loaded Die (LD #1 and LD #2), Second Chance Sparkles (SCS)
the only gap i'm seeing in your logic is that the setup in the OP was not what you have here. There was only one loaded die. Having said that yes it can be a loop but suddenly finding every single curse in the game being played on you or being the target of theft etc will put a dampner on things
Old 03-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #14
MiniMunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedag View Post
the only gap i'm seeing in your logic is that the setup in the OP was not what you have here. There was only one loaded die. Having said that yes it can be a loop but suddenly finding every single curse in the game being played on you or being the target of theft etc will put a dampner on things
Theft yes, but with one wishing ring and this setup you're immune to all curses
MiniMunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #15
smoothhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMunch View Post
Theft yes, but with one wishing ring and this setup you're immune to all curses
What's crazy about our game was that the player who had the two LD and SCS also had Tinfoil Hat and Sandals of Protection--so no curses--plus a Friendship Potion allowing him to cancel (almost) every battle if he chose and a Doppleganger that made him have infinite combat strength. Ironically enough right after we realized he had infinite one-shot reloading and guaranteed dice rolling, literally the next player who went ended up winning the game because he used Restraining Order to block the Friendship Potion, along with other stuff to counter other players' moves. We were sure that the player was going to be a god for all intents and purposes with his setup, and couldn't believe that the game was over so quickly after he "rose to power".
Old 03-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #16
Solelron
Banned

several ways to stop the loop. Just like those, its all a matter of correct set of card collection :)
Solelron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #17
smoothhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solelron View Post
several ways to stop the loop. Just like those, its all a matter of correct set of card collection :)
Several ways to stop it, but the problem comes when you go 5 or 6 rounds before someone draws the necessary card to stop it.

-Stealing Second Chance Sparkles
-Curse (only a very select few Curses would have a significant effect, such as losing a small item or Generosity)

actually now that I think of it those are the only two ways I know of to permanently stop the loop.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #18
MiniMunch

Annihilation would do it, no?
MiniMunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:26 AM   #19
Solelron
Banned

annialation would do it, reloaded die would do it.
Solelron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:36 AM   #20
thedag

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothhands View Post
Several ways to stop it, but the problem comes when you go 5 or 6 rounds before someone draws the necessary card to stop it.
but this is no different to the unlikely event of those cards that allow it coming up. In one game the very first item I put down (+4 bonus) was cursed making it basically impossible to win a combat and people decided not to help me. Sure it sucks but it was only one game out of hundreds played. That had never happened before and never since. The combo in this thread is not a likely combo either so really would be just one game.

Tags
infinite loop, munchkin