Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-11-2011, 12:45 AM   #1
jarAGGIE05

Default Just a thought I had

I really hope that I don't get torn apart for what I'm about to post...

Has SJG thought maybe about halting the development of new base sets for Munchkin to further round out each of the current sets already out? I've been reading this board about a couple months now and just started posting a few days ago, but here's what I've begun to think.

I feel that with each new set more and more fans of specific themes begin to feel increasingly alienated, because attention and focus shifts towards named new munchkin set. Example: I seem to see a lot of fans clamoring for expansions for Munchkin Impossible. I've seen a few posts wanting another expansion for Star...instead a lot of time and resources are put into the next set (ie Zombies & Axe Cop). Don't get me wrong, I love Zombies as I'm sure a lot of fans will love Axe Cop and any other set you guys create.

Here's my thought: Each set has it's own thing that separates itself from the others, other than it's theme. Some minor, some not. Maybe further develop amazing expansions for each current set to help vary Munchkin experiences with each theme while still maintaining that classic Munchkin gameplay and still could be blended together.

I could be way, WAY wrong on this and I mean no disrespect to all of the great, creative work you guys have done already. I've read that certain sets just don't sell as well as others, but would releasing a 112 or even 56 card expansion boost sales of that set?

Thoughts? Stupid Idea?
jarAGGIE05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
Decimit

Default Re: Just a thought I had

While I would love to see at least one or two major expansion for each base set, I could see many variables affecting it. If a set is not as popular it will not pay off as much to release a major expansion as compared to one for the core set which is obviously the most popular, or one of similar sales numbers. Now the release of an expansion could actually help drive sales of that core set, but that is a risk. The core set has the largest base, but newer releases or even new core sets have the potential to create a new popular line that will continue to pay off in the future. I would imagine this would be less of a risk than releasing a product for an existing line that is not a considerable money maker.

These may not be the reasons at all. I don't know. I'm just tossing out ideas because I'm not sleeping at 2:00 in the morning.
Decimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

There's a balance that has to be struck, of course. Core sets generally sell several times as many copies per month as expansions to those core sets. That's not a powerful incentive to shift away from core sets to work on expansions -- but we don't plan to ignore the expansions, either.

Right now, our Munchkin line plans for 2012 include one or maybe two core sets (we're still discussing), but also a pretty generous slate of expansions. We've already said we're working on Munchkin 8, but that's merely the first expansion scheduled for 2012.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
whitecloud197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
There's a balance that has to be struck, of course. Core sets generally sell several times as many copies per month as expansions to those core sets. That's not a powerful incentive to shift away from core sets to work on expansions -- but we don't plan to ignore the expansions, either.

Right now, our Munchkin line plans for 2012 include one or maybe two core sets (we're still discussing), but also a pretty generous slate of expansions. We've already said we're working on Munchkin 8, but that's merely the first expansion scheduled for 2012.
Feel Free to take your time with that Andrew hahaha Munchkin has already sucked 500 Bucks out of my pocket since i discovered it (And I love it!) and i have so many more munchkin sets to buy :P
whitecloud197 is offline   Reply With Quote