Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #91
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Improving basic attributes cheaply: ST!, DX!, IQ!, HT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
It is consistent with RAW to increase attributes piecemeal as there isn't anything contradicting such in the advancement section.
Yes there is the fact IQ! does not exist. and that if you buy a level of IQ you will and per will automatically increase as well as the are defined IN RELATION to IQ. so you MUST take the dasave to lower either or both of them back down.

The fact that the Racial template has change the base off set doesn't change that it still in a 1:1 relationship
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #92
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Since you don't believe in disadvantage limits anyway, I don't suppose that it matters. Generally I don't use occupational templates, anyway.
Well, not necessarily occupational templates but instead they're mostly "power templates", elemental in my current game, and even though I don't believe in disad limits I doubt there's many PCs with over 50% in disads even including the templates, not that I'm gonna go check.

It's not like if things cost an extra fifty points I wouldn't increase the campaign base PCs by fifty points, after all, I'm more interested in the modeling of the concept to fit my worlds' settings than in the aborting of the concept in favor of some rules construct to fit someone else's vision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Yes there is the fact IQ! does not exist. and that if you buy a level of IQ you will and per will automatically increase as well as the are defined IN RELATION to IQ. so you MUST take the dasave to lower either or both of them back down.
Sure it exists, the same way Magery (External Energy Only, -60%; Cannot Maintain Spells, -30%) exists in the setting, because I, the GM, said so.

So any GM can say IQ!+1 = IQ+1 + Per-1 + Will-1, it's that simple and is RAW.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #93
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post

The fact that the Racial template has change the base off set doesn't change that it still in a 1:1 relationship
It exists if the GM writes it up as a metatrait, and since the 'disadvantage' of lowering Per and Will back down from the raised IQ would be contained within the metatrait, it would not count towards the disadvantage limit. I'll note that this case is rather parallel to both the concept of External ST in Supers (ST minus the HP, 8 levels a pop) and many of the level-ups and power-ups in Dungeon Fantasy (there's lots of raising DX, selling back Basic Speed). And that's assuming the GM bothers with a disadvantage limit rather than just reserving the right to veto any particular advantage or disadvantage, period.

There, easy. It's up to the GM whether it makes sense for an improvement in intellect to always be accompanied by an increase in perceptiveness and stubbornness, or not. Are we done now?
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #94
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
GCA isn't RAW the Basic Set is RAW, animal templates are racial templates, not disads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I'm actually not sure what the reference to "animal templates" in GCA is. There aren't any normal animal templates IN GCA, as far as I know. Any custom templates added would have been up to the person entering them, not the program, to assign IQ, Will, and PER scores. The program just figures out costs.
GCA is not RAW, but the way it figures the prices for attributes ans sub-attributes is RAW, so far as I can tell.

To be clear,I was talking about the way you (the owner) would build an animal template using GCA, although there does seem to be an add-on available containing already made animals.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #95
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
There, easy. It's up to the GM whether it makes sense for an improvement in intellect to always be accompanied by an increase in perceptiveness and stubbornness, or not. Are we done now?
Yep, fine with me.

Tags
attributes, development, point cost, raw