Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-27-2016, 09:17 AM   #11
Humabout

Default Re: Breath-Holding vs Being Unconscious, Underwater

It is worth noting that when you are knocked unconcious, yiu immediately begin breathing instinctually, whether there is air present or not. This is why when a bratty kid tries to manipulate an adult by holding his breath "until he dies", the adult doesn't need to worry. At most the kid will pass out and start breathing again. The same goes for the killer croc.

The question is whether the croc hurts himself by filling his lungs with water, and at what point he starts to drown. This may largely boil down to the fluff surrounding his Breath-Holding. If he just needs less oxygen/has extra-oxygenated blood, then I'd say it applies. If his lungs hold more air and he needs to consiously fill them up, I'd say no. If the latter applies, I'd give his BH an Accessibility for being aware he's about to take a dunk; this would make him vulnerable to being suffocated in his sleep, too.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:24 AM   #12
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
It is worth noting that when you are knocked unconcious, yiu immediately begin breathing instinctually, whether there is air present or not. This is why when a bratty kid tries to manipulate an adult by holding his breath "until he dies", the adult doesn't need to worry. At most the kid will pass out and start breathing again. The same goes for the killer croc.

The question is whether the croc hurts himself by filling his lungs with water, and at what point he starts to drown. This may largely boil down to the fluff surrounding his Breath-Holding. If he just needs less oxygen/has extra-oxygenated blood, then I'd say it applies. If his lungs hold more air and he needs to consiously fill them up, I'd say no. If the latter applies, I'd give his BH an Accessibility for being aware he's about to take a dunk; this would make him vulnerable to being suffocated in his sleep, too.
Ah, found something. Laryngospasm is a thing, and will prevent getting much water in lungs for at least a short while.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:16 AM   #13
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Ah, found something. Laryngospasm is a thing, and will prevent getting much water in lungs for at least a short while.
Thank you. I just learned something new. Infortunately, that still has the same immediate effect of suffocation. But at least chances of first aid working increase!

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #14
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Thank you. I just learned something new. Infortunately, that still has the same immediate effect of suffocation. But at least chances of first aid working increase!
Dry suffocation, so you still benefit from your breath-holding goodies in full or nearly so even if they're lung-based.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:09 PM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
My mom was a very stubborn small child, and tried that with my equally stubborn grandparents. They told her to go ahead. She did and passed out. Just like you say, she started breathing again, and woke up angry but wiser.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:11 PM   #16
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Dry suffocation, so you still benefit from your breath-holding goodies in full or nearly so even if they're lung-based.
I wouldn't say so as the lungs still aren't full before going in.
For realistic tetrapods like mutant humans, I would say that the first or even second doubling of breath holding ability is lung capacity. The rest enhanced diving reflex and myoglobin oxygen storage. But for comic books, there isn't much consistency or rigid parameters in defining the hows.

And while full unconsciousness is much worse than most seem to think, one can be "knocked for a loop" without going fully unconscious. That may be a somewhat realistic way to keep things simple and comic book-y.

Last edited by Flyndaran; 06-27-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:55 PM   #17
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I wouldn't say so as the lungs still aren't full before going in.
For realistic tetrapods like mutant humans, I would say that the first or even second doubling of breath holding ability is lung capacity. The rest enhanced diving reflex and myoglobin oxygen storage. But for comic books, there isn't much consistency or rigid parameters in defining the hows.

And while full unconsciousness is much worse than most seem to think, one can be "knocked for a loop" without going fully unconscious. That may be a somewhat realistic way to keep things simple and comic book-y.
Normally the Breath-Holding trait increases all of your of your breath-holding durations, no matter the method. If you want it to only work under some restricted circumstances, get a limitation, it's save a point or two. For improved reflexes*, get the appropriate skill.

* == Talking about learned reflexes, not inborn ones, of course.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:04 PM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

And not taking a concentrate manuever first halves duration, which OP's example character was unable to do. I'm sorry if I made it sound like it was a specific limitation to the advantage. (I've been extra scatter-brained lately. Blasted shingles.)
And Doesn't Breathe: Oxygen storage calls out Breath Holding as not helping against The Bends. I admit to finding that odd as well, and would have no issue with house ruling that away.

Tags
batman, breath-holding, killer croc, oxygen storage, unconscious