Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 12-17-2019, 01:36 PM   #1
Shadekeep

Default Painting minis

Just curious as to what kind of paints are recommended for the minis. Also, I've added the Ogre Battle Box to my pledge, so will the same paints work with those too?

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2019, 02:57 PM   #2
Aleph
Administrator

Default Re: Painting minis

The final materials that the Car Wars 6e minis will be made from has not yet been finalized.
Aleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #3
beetle496

It stands to reason that any paint designed for miniatures (and even most modeling) will be good.

From the KS comments, there was discussion of one example where a particular brand of miniatures had a chemical reaction with a common type of spray paint, and the plastic softened.

SJG is aware of that incident, and has posted to KS that they will avoid that particular trap.

As long as your base coat has “primer” it’s name, you will be fine!

What else are thinking about as far a painting the minis goes?
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:12 AM   #4
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleph View Post
The final materials that the Car Wars 6e minis will be made from has not yet been finalized.
I had suspected that might still be the case, based on some comments on the KS campaign. Thanks for the confirmation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
What else are thinking about as far a painting the minis goes?
Nothing too fancy, really. Just the base coat and element highlights, and maybe some drybrushing. I'd like to pick up some metallic paints as well, for both Car Wars and Ogre. Thanks!
Old 12-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
JimTullis

I painted some Ogre Miniatures with standard spray paint and they came out fine. I was really happy with the way they are attached to the sprues, you can cut the sprues and use the sprues as handles while painting because the spot where the part attaches to the sprue is hidden when you put the model together.
Painted the hulls red, the treads black bronze, and the weapons silver. Then assembled and a wash. Done.

I'm planning on painting the cars with a cheap airbrush, then painting the weapons black and maybe a rusty look for some of the ram plates. (Love the cow catcher on the Conestoga.)
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #6
Shadekeep

Cool, that sounds like a practical approach, thanks! And they've added some real heavy metal vehicles with the latest updates. The Goblin, Conestoga, and Butcher all cry out for some metal-tone meanness. I'd love to paint a barbed wire motif around the Butcher, for instance.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:38 PM   #7
beetle496

I am also hoping to learn about metallic paints. I was thinking a gloss protective coat (I have only used matte finish so far) might do the trick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
I painted some Ogre Miniatures with standard spray paint and they came out fine.
Mind you, I only started painting miniatures this past year (because I got Cthulhu Wars for Festivus), but what do you mean by “standard” spray paint? Household grade spray paint would have covered too thickly and ruined my miniatures.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:01 AM   #8
JimTullis

I shot the Ogre minis with a better brand spray paint from Walmart. The details are not covered over. It just takes a light touch.

I've used 99 cent walmart brand car primer (grey, rust, or black) to undercoat gw minis for years and had good results.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:21 AM   #9
Shadekeep

Primer is a good idea, opens up more painting options. Hopefully the final material uses for the CW minis will be compatible, too.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #10
kbs666

There are metal primers that can damage plastic so read the label.

For paint I stick to acrylics. Cleanup with oil paints is a PITA. If you are just painting the 20 odd minis in the CW box and expansions I'd just get an assortment of paints made for the wargaming hobby. You can save money buying in larger quantities meant for other uses but you'll never use it all up so is it really cheaper?

Spray paint is questionable for small numbers of minis unless they're all being painted to one scheme and can all have one base coat. I do use spray for my 40k minis since in most cases I paint entire units at the same time. So my ultramarines get a base coat of blue. That saves a lot of time. But my BattleTech minis rarely have one color scheme across a bunch of minis so I usually paint them by hand.
kbs666 is offline   Reply With Quote