Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 10-29-2021, 01:32 PM   #1
NexusGameTheory

Default Rules Question: Multiple Accessories

Can a car have both an "off-road suspension" and the "rugged suspension" or the "dynamic suspension"?

Rules for accessories say they can't have the same name. The full names are different. But the bolded part is the same "suspension".

I couldn't find any clarification in the rulebook and just wondered if I missed it somewhere as to if the "name" is the entire part or just the bolded part?

Additionally, for upgrades, it says they can't share the same name OR subtype. I am assuming subtype is the word after the dash ie "frame" in the cards with "upgrade - frame". It is just never specified where I can find it that the word after the dash is indeed the subtype?
NexusGameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:29 PM   #2
PresidentTwoeagles

Default Re: Rules Question: Multiple Accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusGameTheory View Post
Can a car have both an "off-road suspension" and the "rugged suspension" or the "dynamic suspension"?

Rules for accessories say they can't have the same name. The full names are different. But the bolded part is the same "suspension".

I couldn't find any clarification in the rulebook and just wondered if I missed it somewhere as to if the "name" is the entire part or just the bolded part?

Additionally, for upgrades, it says they can't share the same name OR subtype. I am assuming subtype is the word after the dash ie "frame" in the cards with "upgrade - frame". It is just never specified where I can find it that the word after the dash is indeed the subtype?
I would say the full name is what matters, not the big text part. Remember an accessory can be destroyed, so you could eventually lose the effect of 1 or all of them. Upgrades cannot be destroyed, unless they're something special like Wheel Hubs.

And yes, for "UPGRADE - FRAME", FRAME is the subtype. You can have as many just "UPGRADE" as you like.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:08 AM   #3
NexusGameTheory

Thanks!! Appreciate the clarification!
Old 10-30-2021, 01:09 PM   #4
beetle496

Quote:
So OP answer is Yes? Does not seem kosher!
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 02:05 PM   #5
NexusGameTheory

Does anyone know if any of the 6e designers have weighed in on this somewhere else?
Old 11-01-2021, 06:31 AM   #6
Philip Villarreal
Warehouse 23

Quote:

From Sam"

"You can absolutely equip multiple suspensions, yes! The names are indeed different, despite the small-print-over-large-print text style, and they do not have a subtype (which IS the second word following the hyphen — the rules left that unfortunately ambiguous).

We only put restrictions for cards in places where we saw potential game-breaking exploits. We didn't want to restrict anything JUST because it was thematically strange. I know it's a little unrealistic to stack suspension parts like that, but it totally works. If it helps, think of it as combining suspension capabilities into a much beefier single suspension."
Philip Villarreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:59 AM   #7
beetle496

Thanks @Philip_Villarreal for asking and providing the canonical answer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Villarreal View Post
You can absolutely equip multiple suspensions, yes! The names are indeed different, despite the small-print-over-large-print text style, and they do not have a subtype (which IS the second word following the hyphen — the rules left that unfortunately ambiguous).
I am very happy for this reply, since it is how I would prefer to play it. I am still not clear which components cannot be stacked, but airless off-road radial tires is (1) consistent the CCW build mechanics and (2) does not break anything. BP are precious, so if the player wants to spend them this way, that seems fine!
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:23 AM   #8
JimTullis

I've got a question about Gear.
Driving Gloves have a subtype of Gloves.
Driving Boots don't have a printed subtype.
Is this a typo?
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:25 AM   #9
Philip Villarreal
Warehouse 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
I've got a question about Gear.
Driving Gloves have a subtype of Gloves.
Driving Boots don't have a printed subtype.
Is this a typo?
from Sam:

"Not a typo. There may, in the future, be additional gloves that provide combat-specific buffs, and we don't want those effects stacking.

We simply don't intend to make more boots. as most of the benefits provided by boots would, thematically, have to correlate to on-foot combat. There are other ways to do that with gear that could be restricted by subtype, and more importantly, I don't want to further incentivize getting out of the car in a game called Car Wars."
Philip Villarreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:50 PM   #10
NexusGameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Villarreal View Post
From Sam"

"You can absolutely equip multiple suspensions, yes! The names are indeed different, despite the small-print-over-large-print text style, and they do not have a subtype (which IS the second word following the hyphen — the rules left that unfortunately ambiguous).

We only put restrictions for cards in places where we saw potential game-breaking exploits. We didn't want to restrict anything JUST because it was thematically strange. I know it's a little unrealistic to stack suspension parts like that, but it totally works. If it helps, think of it as combining suspension capabilities into a much beefier single suspension."
Thanks for that clarification!