Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
Seamonster

Default Power Modifiers [POWERS]

I need some less powerful versions of common power modifiers from GURPS Powers for an upcoming game, but wondered whether I can make things like Mundane Countermeasures worth -5% if I lessen the penalties.

For instance, I want a Nature power modifier (p. P28) worth -10%. Instead of taking out a Mundane Countermeasure, I want it to read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamonster
Your power channels the vital energy that surrounds all living things. This exists even in the driest desserts, and on the most barren peaks, but the ravages of civilization interfere with it (-5%). You're at -1 to use your abilities in a despoiled wild place such as clear-cut forest, -2 in a city, and -3 amidst severe pollution or waste. These penalties are not cumulative - use the largest penalty in cases where more than one instance applies.

Technology also impairs your power (-5%). You're at a penalty equal to half the TL (round off) of the most advanced manufactured item you're carrying, wearing, or riding in or on.
Notice that I lessened the penalties of for the first set of countermeasures, and have the TL penalty to powers round off, instead of up.

Is this a wise tactic to use in my game? Should I balance the power modifiers better?
Seamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
aesir23

Default Re: Power Modifiers [POWERS]

I suspect that it will work just fine.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Power Modifiers [POWERS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamonster
Notice that I lessened the penalties of for the first set of countermeasures, and have the TL penalty to powers round off, instead of up.

Is this a wise tactic to use in my game? Should I balance the power modifiers better?
It's certainly OK to change the Power Modifiers for your own purposes... the ones given in Powers are really just suggestions, after all. Changing the rounding method for the TL penalty in Nature would not be sufficient, IMO, to justify the countermeasure mod going from -10% to -5%. You'd probably be better off making it something like a Nuisance Effect.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote