Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-21-2004, 06:20 PM   #1
Orcus

Default [Cthulhupunk] Tell me about your campaigns!

Cthulhu punk is one of my favorite GURPS books. I've had an idea for a while to set up a campaign but a little further in the future where the characters are an elite team working for a company and going on missins to protect their interests.

Anyone want to share their ideas, or better yet share actual gaming experiences with this genre?
Old 10-21-2004, 07:28 PM   #2
Eljay451

Default Re: [Cthulhupunk] Tell me about your campaigns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus
Cthulhu punk is one of my favorite GURPS books. I've had an idea for a while to set up a campaign but a little further in the future where the characters are an elite team working for a company and going on missins to protect their interests.

Anyone want to share their ideas, or better yet share actual gaming experiences with this genre?
I use GURPS Cthulhupunk in conjunction with GURPS Conan (epic high fantasy).

Works well. I don't know if my "10,000 BCE" campaign (set 100 years after King Conan's death) would have much to share with a near future GURPS campaign, though. :-)
Eljay451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 07:32 PM   #3
Clangador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay451

Works well. I don't know if my "10,000 BCE" campaign (set 100 years after King Conan's death) would have much to share with a near future GURPS campaign, though. :-)
Sure it does: Conan the Cyberborian. The legend of the Cybernet. Not to be confused with Conan the Librarian. (This book is a week overdue. WHACK!)
-Rimmer, Red Dwarf
_____

Last edited by Clangador; 10-21-2004 at 07:34 PM. Reason: To add more humor.
Clangador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 10:10 PM   #4
Stephane_Theriault

I started a Cthulhupunk game many years ago, with the idea of turning it into a campaign, but it all crashed down.

Anyway, my premise was that Tolliver's Disease started in the Deep Ones cities before reaching the human population. They were hit pretty hard, and most of their population died. To replace them, they created a new drug that activated the DO genes in humans that already had some (i.e. with ancestors from Innsmouth and other such places), mutating them into DO. For the rest of the population, it was an extremely addictive drug that transformed the victim into some strange, monstruous hybrid before killing him/her.

Characters were an elite group of Mafia enforcers, charged by the Dons to find a sample of the drug and some mutated bodies (that were disappearing suspiciously quickly after their deaths), then retrace the drug's steps all the way to its manufacturers and destroy it (without knowing of course they were DP).

I had planned an entire campaing on this, with the players gradually making their way up the ladder, with Hounds of Tindalos used as cleaning machines, the NERKK government being infiltrated by cultists, etc. Unluckily, we started it in that phase where we were incapable of playing the same game for any extent, so we abandoned it after five or six sessions.
Stephane_Theriault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 06:21 AM   #5
Orcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie the Technomancer
I started a Cthulhupunk game many years ago, with the idea of turning it into a campaign, but it all crashed down.

Anyway, my premise was that Tolliver's Disease started in the Deep Ones cities before reaching the human population. They were hit pretty hard, and most of their population died. To replace them, they created a new drug that activated the DO genes in humans that already had some (i.e. with ancestors from Innsmouth and other such places), mutating them into DO. For the rest of the population, it was an extremely addictive drug that transformed the victim into some strange, monstruous hybrid before killing him/her.
That is one kick ass idea! Sorry to hear the campaign didn't last.

I may have to squirrel that idea away to use later!
Old 10-22-2004, 06:22 AM   #6
Orcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay451

Actually I have thought of doing something similar...tell me about it if you wouldn't mind!

The concept sounds very cool, kind of an alternative dark gritty fantasy.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:20 AM   #7
Recnam Orcen
Necros' Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie the Technomancer

I would very have liked to play in this game ;) Is your optional rule +5 stealth while moving behind a big towel was in effect ;)
Recnam Orcen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 10:59 AM   #8
Stephane_Theriault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus
That is one kick ass idea! Sorry to hear the campaign didn't last.

I may have to squirrel that idea away to use later!
Steal away. At least, someone will have fun with it :)
Old 10-22-2004, 11:13 AM   #9
Stephane_Theriault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recnam Orcen
I would very have liked to play in this game ;) Is your optional rule +5 stealth while moving behind a big towel was in effect ;)
No, it wasn't. I don't know where some players had this strange idea :)

Ok, some background; Recnam and I have been roleplaying together for 14 years, and was one of my players for this campaign. At a time, the characters had to walk to this house equipped with the latest in security devices, i.e. normal, infra-red and thermographic cameras. This other guy figured (seriously) that by walking around hidden behind a big towel he was holding, it would make him unnoticeable. Even to normal cameras :) Yeah right.

Then, later in the same house, our characters noticed a motion detection device linked to a sentry gun. The ninja guy decided to run past by it, with some acrobatics thrown in, thinking he could move quickly enough not to be shot. He was wrong, of course :) The thing is, by that time, the movie Sneakers had just come out and I was pretty sure everybody would picked up that they simply had to move very slowly to bypass the motion detector.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:52 PM   #10
thastygliax

I've run two modern-day Lovecraftian games using GURPS CthulhuPunk. Some notes on the second, longer game can be found here:
http://www.geocities.com/thastygliax/cth/index.html

Most of those pages were posted after the campaign ended, so don't include any adventure summaries or similar material--mostly just stuff I had emailed players, reformatted into HTML. (And be warned that some links no longer work, because I haven't updated those pages in years.)

The game made heavy use of the Dreamlands, so I made an attempt at a more complete conversion of the Dream Travel rules from the CoC Dreamlands book, which I've posted on my site.

Tags
cthulhupunk