Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
PenitentDemon

Default If beleth and Blandine had switched places?

an idea inspired by the recent talk on the one off "In nomine backwards" Ideas in the GM guide... how differently, would the face of the war, and of the World be, if Beleth had stood firm, and Blandine had Fallen.
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Default Re: If beleth and Blandine had switched places?

Illusion and hallucinations would likely be Princess Blandine's sphere... Holy Fear... Possibly also incorporating Holy Awe? Disquieting, to say the least... O;>
Old 03-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
robkelk
Untitled

If Fear was angelic and Dreams was demonic, then there'd be a distinct trend toward things associated with fear being "good" things and things associated with dreams being "bad" things.

People would be happy to be described as "God-fearing."

Dreaming would be more associated with laziness than we consider it to be. If you're spending your time dreaming, you aren't spending your time working on making your desire a reality... and Sloth is a Deadly Sin.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Agreed. Holy Fear would be the fear that inspires reverence, instills respect, and teaches lasting lessons that improve the life and soul. (Learning to be cautious around high places is a good thing!) It doesn't make you shrink back from the world, but to become aware of it and not take any of it for granted.

Infernal Dreams would be, as Rob and Beth suggested, the realm of idleness and illusion. She would probably be at the center of the "Everyone gets a blue ribbon" cult of modern parenting ... after all, what's really important is not what you achieved or didn't achieve, but that you think you're a winner! More darkly, this also enters the sort of political movement where all that matters is what you believe to be right, regardless of what the facts may actually say.

These are not dreams that enlighten the world, but that exist to make you feel good about yourself. Just as Fear became Nightmares after her Fall, a fallen Dreams might very well become Complacency, the sin that C.S. Lewis considered to be one of the deadliest.

As you can see, despite serving a Djinn, Blandine's Balseraphs would feel very much at home.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
PenitentDemon

Dont forget Malakim of Fear! I think they'd LOVE their job.

Actualy A Seraphim of Fear would Probaly, be pretty good too, unless their was NOTHING to be scared of at the moment, (which he'd probaly know how to change) In which case he'd probaly be mostly useless.

Oh Calabim of Dreams, any idea how they could fit in since they'd be wrecking balls against complacency everywhere they went.

Also not sure why, but I think Beleth Here, Rather then hoping to see Blandine Redeemed would hope, or rather WANT I should say, to see a successor created, likely from one of Blandines former Servitor's, not sure why I see it that way, likely because having allready had a more negativistic outlook she wouldnt be able to hope to see her fallen lover restored (as Main Blandine hopes with Beleth) And so looks to the handfull of Words that Resonate with Dreams that are Left in Heaven, thinking to help one become a superior oneday.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
Drop Bear

a Calabim of Dreams would most probably be able to do Ethereal & Celestial Damage, destroying the victims Drive to want to achieve more and Ego making them less likely to not just except what they have.
Drop Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
robkelk
Untitled

I was inspired... but inspiration abandoned me halfway through. Any ideas for the blanks?

Beleth, Archangel of Fear

The world is afraid, and must live with that fear or go mad.

(( alt-universe, heretical - Blandine Fell, Beleth didn't. Beleth works to promote fear as a survival trait and a means of gaining courage, and as a counter to Blandine's "Complacency." With neither of these Superiors being closely involved with dreams and nightmares, The Marches are a secondary concern to them. ))

Dissonance:

It is not dissonant for a servitor of Beleth to feel fear, but it is dissonant to give in to fear. Succumbing to terror, panic, timidity, or any other fearful emotion incurs a note of Dissonance for the Fearful.

Choir Attunements:

Seraphim: ______

Cherubim (restricted): While most other Cherubim can only protect their attuned from physical harm, Fearful Cherubim can also protect their attuned from mental harm caused by overwhelming fear. They can share their own Will or Perception with their attuned, letting the attuned (but not the Cherub) use the higher of his own or the Cherub's scores for any roll to resist fear.

Ofanim: ______

Elohim: ______
(Beleth's Powers, like all other Elohim, are able to feel emotion but must not let it guide their actions. They are the very picture of coolness under fire, which makes some other Celestials think they are displaying courage. Beleth known better.)

Malakim: Beleth's Malakim can put the Fear of God into their opponents - they automatically succeed at any use of the Fast-Talk skill to invoke fear, with a CD equal to the Malakite's Corporeal Forces. (In GURPS In Nomine, Fearful Malakim get auto-success on Intimidation instead.)

Kyriotates (restricted): Fearful Dominations get a bonus equal to their Celestial Forces to possess a human who is afraid. Leaving him less fearful does not count as "harm," nor is it dissonant.

Mercurians (restricted): Friends of Man in service to Beleth can tell who or what a human is most afraid of automatically, with an effective CD equal to the Mercurian's Celestial Forces.

Grigori: These angels can tell a human "Fear not!" and be believed. They can counter any externally-imposed fears (including those caused by the Habbalite resonance) with a Will roll, with a penalty to the Grigori's roll equal to the CD of the effect that imposed the fear in the first place.

Bright Lilim (restricted): Beleth's Brights can look into someone's eyes and know what they Need to be able to conquer fear. They get a bonus equal to their Ethereal Forces to detect such Needs.

Servitor Attunements:

______: ______

______: ______

Distinctions:

Vassal of Fear: ______

Friend of ______: ______

Master of ______: ______

Relations with Other Superiors:

Beleth works well with Gabriel and Michael, Archangels who inspire fear in their enemies. She also has common ground with the Archangel who gives his allies strength to persevere despite their fears - the Archangel of Faith, Khalid. However, she herself fears getting as close to anyone as she did with Blandine, so Beleth has no close allies on the Seraphim Council.

She is listed as hostile to four other Archangels, but this is merely because they often work against her Word. “Coldly neutral” might be a better description.

Allied: no one
Associated: Gabriel, Michael, Khalid
Hostile: David, Marc, Novalis, Zadkiel

Basic Rites:

* ______
* ______

Chance of Invocation: 2

Invocation Modifiers:

+1: ______
+2: ______
+3: ______
+4: Encouraging more than 20 people to have courage despite their fears
+5: A person confronting his phobia
+6: A gathering of survivors after a killing spree
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.

Last edited by robkelk; 03-27-2013 at 12:39 PM.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
PenitentDemon

Hmmmn hows this for

Vassal of Fear:

With a Simple act of Will you can cloak yourself in shadows, giving yourself +2 chance

Friend of the lost: By patting the shoulder and speaking a word of Reassurance you can pacify, though not remove normal fear, someones still aware a situation is dangerous if it is so, but is able to react rationaly.

Master of Midnight: It is the place of the highest ranking angels in Beleths Service to define what should bring fear.

A particular object, place, or person is specified, then 3 essence is spent, for a period of 1 week anyone nearby will feel sourceless inexplicable dread (not sure how to handle this stat wise require will roll to approach anyway?)

Masters of Midnight frequently use this power on either a Tethers location to avoid prying eyes, or pedophile or surch they do not have evidence to give to the authoritys.

Servitor Attunement

Divine Warning:

You are able to send someone a vision so vivid it is hard to ignor, but while it is not pleasant it is filled with prophetic imagery, that will usualy be able to produce at least temporary changes to behaviour, even if the person probaly does rationalize it as "just a dream, or hallucination"

Say a opposed will roll to see if the Message, whatever it is, takes?

And heres a Rite for Dark Blandine

Convince a Child to Forgo doing homework in favor of playing video games, or otherwise goofing off. (2 Essence if child is on honor roll)

Oh worked some more

Blandine:

Blandine , along with as many as a quarter of her servitors, has a borderline Habbahlah like delusion that shes doing the world a favor.

She remembers beleth, dear beleth, who for whatever reason she was once so besotted with, But why should she want a wet blanket wrapped around her?

She Works well with Nybass, Who's Media Distracts humans from Reality, Kobol who's cruel jokes can distract people from reality.

She also associates with Haagenti, Andrephelous, and Mammon as each of these things represents a desire, that is all too willing to help exploit, and weave into the fantasys she creates.

Kronos is hostile towards her, because, from time to time, the delusions or dreams she created, proved just what someone needed to give them the inspiration to fufill their destiny, and When Kronos brings this to her attention, she typicaly only shrugs.

She Despises Baal and Saminga because war and death will distract people from pleasant fantasy.

Last edited by PenitentDemon; 03-27-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:27 AM   #9
Happerry

Well, with the fair warning that I have like no experience in this setting from lack of anyone else interested around where I live, I hope you enjoy these ideas for some of those blanks...

Distinctions:

Friend of Horror : Fear is natural, but can also be forced on people unfairly. Friends of Horrors can automatically identify, with a glance, anyone who is currently being forced to be afraid of something, by either celestial interference or more mundane effects, like drugs. They do not know the source or type of fear, however.

Master of Paranoia/Contingencies : To fear is to see what might go wrong, and to see what might go wrong is to know what you need to ward against. Masters of Paranoia/Contingencies can, once per month, look at a project they are leading or a part of and know the most likely way for it to go wrong. This does not mean they know how to keep it from going wrong, however.

Choir Attunements:

Seraphim: Seraphim of Fear can automatically detect those pretending to be afraid but whom are not actually fearful on sight. With a perception roll, they can even learn why someone is pretending..

Servitor Attunements:

Mysterious Horrors : The worst, more horrible terrors are the ones that people can not see. Fear seen and fear known is fear that can be fought and defied. Unknown fear can only be dreaded. This Attunement allows servitors of Fear to untraceably 'flee the scene' after their duties have been completed. Once activated, for the next (Forces) minutes, all traces of the Servitor's passage is concealed, and anyone who seeks to follow her must make a perception roll verses the Servitor's Soul Forces. This Attunement can only be activated once per day, and immediately ends should the servitor stop traveling.
Happerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
PenitentDemon

Loooks good!

How do these look for relations?

Beleth

David: She seems almost sadistic at times, then the flash passes almost as quickly as it came. She can often so terrify her enemys that no physical altercation happens. I can sense the heavy weight she still carrys because of Blandine, if she ever wishes to speak of it to anyone I will be there.

Dominic: On the surface, her word might seem more demonic but angelic, but fear can warn people away from danger, teach a child not to touch fire, advice people not to go too close to a dangerous animal... and yes, to beware of breaking the law. (He does his job, Wont lie, I find him exceedingly sanctimonious, but that comes with the job, People respect that kind of solemnity, and I dont blame them, to be honest)

Eli: Crafty Lady, Polite too, but seems a bit distant and gloomy, but suppose it comes with the word, doesnt it. Its a real shame on Blandine, if she ever wants consolation over that, or just help finding a way to warn people away from something Dangerous, Im here to help.(Not sure why he left, I'll have to hear his side of the story, before I decide to help dominic catch him though)

Laurence

Marc: She does a Job that I suppose, if the words been granted by god himself, then it must REALLY need doing, but couldnt she keep it away from mine? No one want to buy stock, or trade, in a volatile market! (He helps keep humans coddled, and safe... Its my job to expose them to fear, and, in measured quantitys at times, danger...

His "Worst Nightmare" Is almost identical to Mammon's with the sole exception, I'll grant, Marcs isnt quite as self centered... Still if he interferes with me much more... I might have a little chat with Dominic.

Michael: Beleth is a cunning tactician a capable soldier and so much more.

Novalis: If Fear is a word Granted by God then it is clearly acceptable to the Symphony, but I for one, would prefer not to have humanity panicked.

Yves: Fear can be good, it can give one a warning of Danger, and lead one away from Harm, but When and if the Symphony has fufilled its destiny, their will be no more call for it. Beleth has blessedly accepted that part of her Destiny with remarkable grace, but I sometimes fear that she has yet to confront her own worse Fears, I can only hope she will find the courage when the day comes ( Yves said he tried to warn me what was happening with Blandine... I wish I could understand him... as it is, I listen to him but only with one ear... Still I may need his help getting a Successor to Blandines word Granted ArchAngelhood)

Demon Princes

Alaemon: I really would like to learn her secrets, What it is (What frightes THIS Creature? the light of Day. No dont take me so literally, take away the veils of anonymity and secrecy hes grown to depend on then watch him FLINCH its a sight worth watching!)

Andrephelous: Fear and Terror? Natural instincts of survival sorry my dear But Im far too busy With important things, like deflowering that batch of teenaged souls I bought yesterday.... ( Be very scared of this creature, theirs very few things that can frighten him, that any of us have a chance of accomplishing anyway, but he has much to make him fearsome for all his pretty face.)

Asmoesdoes: I exercise Fear every day in my game, but she would use it, not to make people too scared to rebel, but to make them too scared to grow complacent, How can I find renegades if they never grow Complacent?... Ah well I suppose thats the point.

Baal: I'll grant her this, she's capable, she has ended more then a few wars, and definitely is more competent then Novalis, or Andrepholous... Wouldnt compare her with Michael, but shes got a leg up on that Stupid Malakite with a Sword. Sometimes, though, her games of misdirection, and shadows, grow tiresome. (War is a source of fear precisely because it should not happen, not on the scale Baal would bring, at any rate.)

Blandine: Beleth, dear sweet Beleth, dont you see, I am whole now, I dont need any compliment to my word anymore I am free now, as soon humanity will be free of any worry or cares. (Blandine, My beloved, if their was anything I could have done to save you from your fate... but alas it is not my place to say "What might have been?" But this I vow, : I will be there in the final moment, when your forces are finally disbanded, and you are at long last granted the peace of Soul Death, I will weep over your corpse, and then protect your Successor, though it cost me my life, but though they succeed your word, none will ever succeed your place in my memory or my heart, my Beloved)

Fleurity: She just cost me over 30 new customers, she found out that I was personally interested in a neighbourhood, so she ARRANGED for some truly frigtening presentations to be shown... will credit her with this much, she didnt care how much flak it caused... better then most of the Media, gutless cowards. (HE offers people drugs to hide from their fears and their worrys, which keeps them from ever gathering the strenghs to resolve those very issues.

Kronos: Fear has led a number of souls to my clutches, make no mistake, and yet she is able to shepherd souls towards their destiny, with suprising finesse.

Ultimately though, her Fate is to succumb to her own Fears, and she has yet to conquer it.

MAMMON: She makes people Wary, puts their guard up, Right when your about to get the big sale, she takes it right out from your feet, and chases your business away. The BITCH! No wonder Blandine Left her. (Marcs Worst nightmare, while pathetic, at least has an element of concern for others, naemly the collapse of the global economy.

Mammons Worst nightmare is the Collapse of his grip on the global economy.
This is a thousand times worse)

Vapula:

Blandine

Alaemon: What secrets does she hide? She was once celebrated for her kindness, and yet she still sometimes seems to fake it , perhaps all too well, is their perhaps the slightest trace of something left of the Archangel of Dreams? Even if it never reaches Fruition I'd like very much to know what she does, her ability to grant False hope, and instill complacency is useful to my operations ( He prys where he is not wanted overmuch, other then that, I find his presence tolerable enough)

Andrephelous: She helps to sooth the concience, and make people comfortable with the world around them, without people being on edge, it will be more difficult for their concience to tell them "This is WRONG" what a trite sentiment. Sometimes she herself seems too scatterbrained to be effective but her senior Servitors know this too, and are able to assign people to work with me when neccessary, so no great loss. (I love Andrephelous, well as much as I love anyone, he is so capable so seductive, so capable of keeping people complacent... Perhaps I'll work with his and nybasses little religious paradignm?)

Asmoesdoes: I know she is useful to us, She certainly does help to lull mortals into a false complacency, but sometimes, just sometimes, her actions have given people, or even DEMONS the courage they needed to find their Destinys, if I find proof this was more then blundering, she will be SORRY ( All rigid, and uptight, he needs to relax And daydream a bit)

Baal: Useless Simpering Simpleton, take everything I dislike about kronos, and magnify it a thousand fold, I'd almost prefer Novalis's company... Forget I said that, She has an almost habbahlite like delusion to her... Still I must grant, she keeps the sheep in line for the slaughter.

Bread and Circuses I'm sure. (War, Uniforms, Medal's Rifles, Blech, Laurence at least handles this kind of thing with some real style, Still, Theirs people who fantasize abotu being the amoral Antihero, and Baal fits that cliche close enough.)

Haagenti: Dreams, complacency! what you looking at, I'm dreaming about eating that slab of ribs over there, now get out of my way. Allright you want to know (Eats questionor, to anyone else says) Blandine helps me, because so many fantasys involve better or more food to some degree or another, still we rarely feel the need to work side by side.

Kobal: Hey Want to hear a real joke? The most first legendary romantic couple, wound up breaking up in arms, , And all Beleth could do that day was Sob, and plead with Blandine "PLEASE come back, think of our children?" What a *****, some archangel of Fear she was. Blandine herself shes a gold mine she keeps people from thinking that my jokes are in so called "Poor taste" (I really want whoever coined that phrase shot) (I really really like him, he helps me with many of my operations

Last edited by PenitentDemon; 03-31-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Tags
beleth, blandine