Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-10-2005, 03:10 PM   #1
arcady

Default New Talents?

Well the search features reveals a thread of this title some time back, but it got off topic by post two...

So let's try again?

Anyone have new talents they've added to their games? What skills do they affect and what reaction bonuses do they give?
arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:19 PM   #2
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.
Default Re: New Talents?

Memetic Engineer: Carousing, Connoisseur, Current Affairs, Intelligence Analysis, Market Analysis, Politics, Propaganda, Public Speaking, Sociology, Teaching and Writing. Reaction Bonus: any reaction roll made under the rules for Psychological Warfare (p. 359) or to influence a group in the long term. 10 points / level.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
thastygliax

Computer Wizard: Computer Hacking, Computer Operation, Computer Programming, Engineer (Electronics), Research; Reaction bonus applies to computer programmers and hackers; 5 points/level.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:31 PM   #4
mlangsdorf

Military Genius: Strategy, Tactics, Leadership, and Soldier. Reaction bonus from soldiers and military types. 5 pts/level.

There's a lot of variations on this talent - this is the minimal version for a guy who is just a good officer/leader, but not an Alexander or Patton. For someone like them, I'd go more with:

Born to Conquer: Strategy, Tactics, Leadership, Soldier, Public Speaking, Administration, Combat Engineering, Diplomacy, and Savoir-Faire (Military). Reaction bonus from soldiers and military types. 10 pts/level.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #5
Importance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf
Military Genius: Strategy, Tactics, Leadership, and Soldier. Reaction bonus from soldiers and military types. 5 pts/level.

There's a lot of variations on this talent - this is the minimal version for a guy who is just a good officer/leader, but not an Alexander or Patton. For someone like them, I'd go more with:

Born to Conquer: Strategy, Tactics, Leadership, Soldier, Public Speaking, Administration, Combat Engineering, Diplomacy, and Savoir-Faire (Military). Reaction bonus from soldiers and military types. 10 pts/level.
Very similar to my game's:

Talent: Military Leader 10 pts/level
Administration
Diplomacy
History (Military)
Intelligence Analysis
Intimidation
Leadership
Politics
Public Speaking
Savoir-Faire (Military)
Strategy
Tactics
Importance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:39 PM   #6
mlangsdorf

That's a better version of Born to Conquer than mine.

I also had a Detective Talent: Criminology, Detect Lies, Interrogation, Forensics, Search, Observation, and Streetwise. 10 pts/level. It's sort of an enhanced version of the Perverted Mind talent.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:34 PM   #7
CharlesGriswold

Location: My Fortress of Arrogance somewhere under Richland, Washington, USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thastygliax
Computer Wizard: Computer Hacking, Computer Operation, Computer Programming, Engineer (Electronics), Research; Reaction bonus applies to computer programmers and hackers; 5 points/level.
I would add Mathematics (Computer Science and Cryptology). The other specializations don't really fit.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:00 PM   #8
Mirdur

I have some problems with making new talents because them players are coming with suggetions of new talents and the skills they put in the new talents are the ones they have. The fact that guns is only one skill englobing all the guns make this the favored skill to add to a new talents. Also the bonus of +4 seems to me a bit too much, i think it should be +2. Also limit the number of subskills you get the talent bonus.

Maybe I think this only because the game hasn't yet started.
Mirdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:44 PM   #9
CharlesGriswold

Location: My Fortress of Arrogance somewhere under Richland, Washington, USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirdur
I have some problems with making new talents because them players are coming with suggetions of new talents and the skills they put in the new talents are the ones they have. The fact that guns is only one skill englobing all the guns make this the favored skill to add to a new talents. Also the bonus of +4 seems to me a bit too much, i think it should be +2. Also limit the number of subskills you get the talent bonus.

Maybe I think this only because the game hasn't yet started.
As it says in page B91, under the Custom Talents heading, "the GM's word is law". If you, as a GM, don't like a player-created talent, don't allow it. Also, the bonus given by the Talent depends on the level at which it's taken.

On the other hand, this thread is not the place to discuss the merits of the Talent advantage. Other "new talent" threads have already been derailed by this very issue, and we don't need that happening here.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:13 PM   #10
cmdicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirdur
I have some problems with making new talents because them players are coming with suggetions of new talents and the skills they put in the new talents are the ones they have. The fact that guns is only one skill englobing all the guns make this the favored skill to add to a new talents.
In addition to the "GM's word is law" line on player-created talents, remember the general rule that a Talent must be a credible inborn aptitude, and the skills must be closely related. Also remember that combat talents are generally considered inappropriate; for combat skills, use Weapon Master, Trained by a Master, Gunslinger, etc.

Just because skills are appropriate to a particular profession or character type does not mean they are appropriate in the same Talent (Talent isn't GURPS for "Character Class"); I'd almost be tempted to state as a general rule, when I'm GMing, that skills within a talent must all be connected by either default or prerequisite relationships with each other, unless there is a very strong justification.
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rules, talents