Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-23-2019, 07:17 AM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Marrying/Breeding with the Locals [Infinite Worlds]

So, human nature being what it is, it is highly likely that the majority of people operating in other timelines will developed feelings for and sex with some of the locals. In some cases, they may develop feelings for them and marry them. In other cases, they will just have sex with them and accidentally (or delibrately) produce a child. On occasion, they may decide to adopt a young child because they feel responsible for the child on some level.

Now, if the person from Homeline is male and sires a child on a local female, they might not know and/or care that they are potentially leaving a child behind on a primitive world, but there are people who will care. How does Homeline deal with such cases? Do they allow the immigration of such spouses to Homeline, do they allow the immigration of such children, or do they forbid that type of immigration?

In my games, I have had PCs marry NPCs, produce children (both within and without marry), and adopt children. Since I consider Infinity to be largely exploitative and prejudiced, I have them mostly banning such immigration. However, such rules run counter to many nations that have jus saguinis laws that grant automatic citizenship to the children of their citizens, and Infinity cannot defy the entire developed world, China, and India. In those cases, I have Infinity firinh its employees who violate its rules, but it cannot legally keep the spouses and children completely out.

How do you handle it in your games? Why would you do if a PC decided to marry a local spousr and sought to bring him or her back to their home country? What about if they had children with a local or adopted a local child?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:31 AM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: Marrying/Breeding with the Locals [Infinite Worlds]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Now, if the person from Homeline is male and sires a child on a local female, they might not know and/or care that they are potentially leaving a child behind on a primitive world, but there are people who will care. How does Homeline deal with such cases? Do they allow the immigration of such spouses to Homeline, do they allow the immigration of such children, or do they forbid that type of immigration?
I assume it varies by their home state. Remember Homeline does not have a world government. The nations of the world rather strangely let Infinity make a lot of decisions they logically shouldn't, but since Infinity is perfectly willing to transport out-timers to Homeline for various reasons, they can't depend on that as a barrier. And surely nobody is going to surrender control of their *immigration policy* to Infinity. They might decide to evacuate a million refugees to your country without your permission tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
How do you handle it in your games?
An adventure is the story of someone else having a bad time of it. Thereby, it was the addition of yet another complication to an already complex situation; easy, maybe, but never simple.

Quote:
Why would you do if a PC decided to marry a local spousr and sought to bring him or her back to their home country?
I expect that any given nation has a pre-existing policy on immigration and would use that as somewhere to start from. Infinity has significant authority over cross-time interactions but it doesn't have any notable authority over, say, China's immigration policies.

Quote:
What about if they had children with a local or adopted a local child?
In theory? See above. In practice? Heh.

David's daughter ended up being the focus of a new religion. Lukas nearly depopulated London over a burning orphanage. And a pregnant Mei being kidnapped sparked off World War 3. Separate timelines, admittedly, but still!
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:32 AM   #4
RyanW

Would reversible sterilization not be an option with Homeline medicine?

As for adoption, I assume it would be similar to international adoption: a bureaucratic nightmare for anyone with sub- A-list celebrity level of individual resources.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:07 AM   #5
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
As for adoption, I assume it would be similar to international adoption: a bureaucratic nightmare for anyone with sub- A-list celebrity level of individual resources.
Not *that* bad. Sure depending on your home country, your own bureaucracy can be nightmarish, but at least you only need to deal with one set of bureaucrats, because the Secret prevents involving the home government of the child. You don't have to worry one state will absolutely require something the other forbids, or that international relations will change before the process is finished.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #6
AlexanderHowl

I have known plenty of middle class people who have done international adoption. It is expensive and difficult, but it can be done with sufficient sacrifice. I imagine that adopting an Outtimer child would be orders of magnitudes more difficult though, even if it was allowed, just to prevent charitable Homeline citizens from exceeding Homeline's infrastructure by adopting billions of orphaned children across the timelines.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:36 AM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

That sounds like an unreasonable fear. It's not like there's anyone trying to adopt thousands of children now.

I'd just be a bit concerned over the more likely fears of off world natives possibly bringing diseases of natural or semi-supernatural forms or simply not being 100% human as Homeline science defines it.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #8
malloyd

Quote:
I have known plenty of middle class people who have done international adoption. It is expensive and difficult, but it can be done with sufficient sacrifice. I imagine that adopting an Outtimer child would be orders of magnitudes more difficult though, even if it was allowed, just to prevent charitable Homeline citizens from exceeding Homeline's infrastructure by adopting billions of orphaned children across the timelines.
Nobody's adoption laws allow that. There will be some sort of "can you reasonably care for this child" test before any state will allow you to adopt.

It's not free either, charitable Homeline citizens probably don't have trillions of dollars to spend on legal fees to adopt billions of orphans. A could probably do more for said orphans by spending the money building orphanages on their native worlds if they did.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:42 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
How do you handle it in your games? Why would you do if a PC decided to marry a local spousr and sought to bring him or her back to their home country? What about if they had children with a local or adopted a local child?
Marrying or adopting locals would of course be frowned upon due to the security risk but if you did it, Infinity would pretty much be fine with you bringing the spouse and kids back when you left. In fact they'd insist on it since it's likely the family "knows too much". If there's no place for them in your native country then there are plenty of outworld colonies where they could go. One thing Homeworld is no longer short on is living space. Infinity is secretive but I don't see them as gratuitously evil.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:53 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

I tend to think of Infinity as a very expansive CIA. They're brutally pragmatic with much of their work classified and with little effective oversight. They won't waste time tormenting the "unimportant".