Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
Jinumon

Default Concerning Exorcism

Hello, all.

So I suppose I'll get straight to the point. In a supernatural/detective game I'm playing, my character is a Chinese holy man with a knack for laying the spirits of the dead to rest and casting out oogity-boogities. However, Exorcism in and of itself is no cakewalk, and I was wondering if there are any rules for increasing it's effectiveness. I've already perused Low-Tech, Fantasy, and Horror, and thus far I haven't found anything like special incense, holy relics, or various props that may aid in or be required for a exorcism.

Does anyone know where I might find it, or, if not, any potential house-rules that might work? Please and thank you!
Jinumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Balor Patch

Default Re: Concerning Exorcism

DF1:26 has Holy Symbol, the Blessed and High version of which are +1 & +2 to Exorcism among other things.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

The general rules for equipment are probably appropriate.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
whswhs

You might look for complementary skills. Depending on the character of the possessing entity, Diplomacy, Fast-Talk, Intimidation, Merchant, Savoir-Faire, or Streetwise might be suitable for making it more willing to cooperate.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:01 AM   #5
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinumon View Post
Hello, all.

So I suppose I'll get straight to the point. In a supernatural/detective game I'm playing, my character is a Chinese holy man with a knack for laying the spirits of the dead to rest and casting out oogity-boogities. However, Exorcism in and of itself is no cakewalk, and I was wondering if there are any rules for increasing it's effectiveness. I've already perused Low-Tech, Fantasy, and Horror, and thus far I haven't found anything like special incense, holy relics, or various props that may aid in or be required for a exorcism.

Does anyone know where I might find it, or, if not, any potential house-rules that might work? Please and thank you!
Exorcism probably shouldn't be too easy. However, you might want to look at Thaumatology. I don't think that it addresses exorcism directly but it talks of something like "appropriate materials" helping things.

Also Thaumatology: Chinese Elemental Magic might be a good read for this.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:40 AM   #6
trans

Christian exorcisms, anyway, seem to rely a lot on power and authority, i.e. Intimidation. There are also usually a number of other people present to support the exorcist.

Your Chinese holy man will have a different take on this, but a Catholic priest might also get bonuses for:

Receiving a blessing for the exorcism from his bishop/archbishop/the Pope
Recent confession and communion
Extra Time for preparation and prayer
Fasting

(of course, the GM could also apply a penalty for not doing any of these things)

According to Wikipedia, Jewish exorcisms require a minyan (ten Jewish adult males).

Last edited by trans; 12-19-2013 at 03:44 AM. Reason: a>his
trans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:13 AM   #7
trans

Exorcisms can also resemble interrogations, so Interrogation and any related GURPS rules may be useful. The Psychology skill, too, especially if you view the possessed person as cooperating in expelling the oogity-boogities.

Edit: and Detect Lies at a high level. Very important.

Last edited by trans; 12-19-2013 at 05:24 AM.
trans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
Michele

I think you might have a look at the titles in the GURPS Monster Hunters series. IIRC, a mass-produced cross, brand new and bought yesterday is not the same as a Medieval cross over which generations of believers have prayed; the latter bestows some bonuses, even though I can't remember whether there is a specific rule about this working in the case of exorcisms.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
Jinumon

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I managed to get a hold of a copy of Dungeon Fantasy 1, and purchased a Blessed Holy Symbol for exorcisms. I'll make sure to look in some of those other locations for additional bonuses as well.

In case anyone is interested, Yu Ling was successful in exorcising the Darkling (i.e. dark-dwelling, closet-teleporting boogieman) from the occult bookstore he operates.

And remember, when things get a little too spooky, don't hesitate to call 'Odd Feeling' Investigations, located just above Grimoires and More.
Jinumon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exorcism, horror, magic, spirits, supernatural creatures