Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #11
Nymdok

Default Re: "I never took it away from you. You took it away from you. Now you're ready"

Pacifism is more of a lifestyle choice than an instinct.

As an example,

Less than 2% of the US millitary must repeat basic training(Where they are effectively trained to kill in the most fundamental ways.) That is for all branches regardless of difficulty level (for marines out there).

Of those that fail, less than 2% of those fail on the second attempt, and the percentage continues for the cascade.

The long and short of it is, in my ruling, there is no such thing as a born pacifist.

A simple pacifism choice is the willingness to end the life of another under appropriate curcumstances. For inaapppropriotae circumstances, see blood lust.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #12
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Re: "I never took it away from you. You took it away from you. Now you're ready"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
This may seem like a strange question, but are there any believable ways to roleplay buying off any of the Pacifism Disadvantages?
Driven by traumatic events to the point of needing vengence.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:14 PM   #13
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post
The long and short of it is, in my ruling, there is no such thing as a born pacifist.
Ouchy :-(.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:57 PM   #14
Dangerious P. Cats

This sort of thing actually happened to a character in the T.V series tour of duty. The cahracter (Horn) is conscripted into the Vietnam war, but refuses to fight, even to the extent that he throws away his rifle (the sargent makes him carry the squad radio after this). Towards the end of the episode (sorry for spoilers) he is attacked by an enemy combatant and is forced to kill with his bayonet to protect his own life and that of his friends. The episode is all about how war and death is unescapable, and probably a good guide to how a pacicist would lose thier pacifism and then act afterwards (the character was very anti-war still).

I suspect the specifics of how a character would and what would happen afterwards would depend on the type of pacisfism and the character themselves. Some characters might just down grade their pacifism (cannot kill becomes, self defence only), other might trade it for something like nightmares disadvantage. Or they might buy it off compleatly, but I would suspect that would still hold reservations about violence.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:14 AM   #15
Ragitsu
Banned

Yes, you are right about that. Pacifism (Total Nonviolence) to Bloodlust is a big leap!
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:04 AM   #16
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post
Pacifism is more of a lifestyle choice than an instinct.

As an example,

Less than 2% of the US millitary must repeat basic training(Where they are effectively trained to kill in the most fundamental ways.) That is for all branches regardless of difficulty level (for marines out there).

Of those that fail, less than 2% of those fail on the second attempt, and the percentage continues for the cascade.

While I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusion*, I must point out the selection bias of your chosen sample.

The US military is a volunteer force. Don't you think that it's at the very least possible that among people volunteering to serve in any kind of armed force, pacifists might be slightly underrepresented?

The analogy to your example would be asking expectant mothers about their views on procreation and 'discovering' that there is no such thing as someone who doesn't want children.

*Appropriately qualified, of course.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:08 AM   #17
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
While I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusion*, I must point out the selection bias of your chosen sample.

The US military is a volunteer force. Don't you think that it's at the very least possible that among people volunteering to serve in any kind of armed force, pacifists might be slightly underrepresented?

The analogy to your example would be asking expectant mothers about their views on procreation and 'discovering' that there is no such thing as someone who doesn't want children.

*Appropriately qualified, of course.
Indeedy. A fairer thing might be to look in a place with compulsory military service, and very little chance of getting away. Anyone got any suggestions?
Old 06-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

A smart pacifist would avoid putting himself in situations with kill or be killed choices.
I'm a self-defense only guy, so I would refuse military service.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #19
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
Ouchy :-(.
I do think the rules to do non letal damage are non existant in gurps
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #20
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by D10 View Post
I do think the rules to do non letal damage are non existant in gurps
Because there is no such thing...
other than tazer type weapons, which still kill a few people every now and then.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantages, pacifism