Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #1
ZeonTheUnborn

Default Creating a stand from JoJo?

I wanted to make a character who didn't fight directly, but he use a projection called a 'Stand' to fight.

It's pretty much his Psionic energy given *form* the stand can also be anything from a sword, to a gun, to even a humanoid.

The only draw back is that whatever damage happens to the stand, happens to the user.

The stand is completely invisible unless a person has a good degree of psychic/supernatural ability.

So I'm trying to make this character on 160 points plus 50 disads and 5 quirks.

And the GM is iffy on the stand being invisible. So where would I start with him? Because my character controlling the Stand would not be very powerful, as the stand does all the work.
ZeonTheUnborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:11 AM   #2
Lord Carnifex

Default Re: Creating a stand from JoJo?

Off-hand, I can think of a couple of ways to approach this: Ally or Innate Attack. But I'd start out with Duplicate Form combined with Alternate Form. Probably not 160 points, though.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:29 AM   #3
Psychotime

I've never read more than 2 pages of Jojo (though I will eventually read it) and have only played the Capcom games for 10 minutes tops, but no matter how you slice it 160 points is WAY too low for a game based on it. "Realistic" heroes are allowed to have 200 max!

Anyway, as I said I'm not 100% sure how stands work, but you want an Ally with Summonable and Sympathy in the cases of stands that are creatures.

The weapon types on the other hand are gonna be Innate Attacks, UNLESS they are treated or act like the creature types.

Whatever the specific rules for stands are will lead to other advantages, limitations or modifiers to add. The first would be Invisibility (plus the appropriate Accessibility) for creatures and No Signature for Innate Attacks.

Last edited by Psychotime; 12-09-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Psychotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:30 AM   #4
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
"Realistic" heroes are allowed to have 200 max!
Actually, real Navy SEALs are 275 points, according to GURPS SEALS in Vietnam and real people with higher point values than this most certainly exist.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
Refplace

Is the character helpless and unconscious when using the Stand?
If so then I would go with AF and the projection limitation. Even if the source isnt that way you might consider it as like others said your pint budget is really low for a Super or Cinematic Psychic and that is what your describing.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Psychotime

I'm back having finally finished the first 3 story arcs of the series. I can actually describe how stands work.

They really are just psychic energy in a semi solid form, but most of the time it's only visible to people who have the ability as well, but there are some exceptions.

Stands can be anything and have any kind of ability. The series goes all out in that regard, and that's where alot of the entertainment comes from.

There's been stands that are simply handheld guns to full sized tanker ships, but the majority of stands are a single creature, but some characters can have multiple creatures.

There are stands that can stop time, stands that can de-age people. Stands that can reshape matter or literally erase space. Stands that can weigh down a target's body when they feel enough guilt. The sky is the limit.

When a character activates their stand, they can decide to act independently of each other or as a team. Some stands have been shown to act on their owner's instinct.

The one drawback is that any harm that befalls a stand applies to it's owner, and vice-versa. And it's an established rule that stands can only be harmed by other stands.

Another drawback is that most stands have weaker strength if they're too far from their owner, while others have a severely limited range, and others can go for long distances at little detriment.

Individual powers aside, some of this sounds a little tricky to implement.

Last edited by Psychotime; 04-24-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
I'm back having finally finished the first 3 story arcs of the series. I can actually describe how stands work.
The OP hasn't been on the forum since December 2011, I'm not sure if there's any point.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Psychotime

The point is that I have the same topic on mind now, and there was already a thread that previously existed. So instead of making a new thread about it, I'd just dig up the old one, since I remember it.

As far as I can tell, no one's got clear cut way to implement the concept into GURPS, yet. It'd be nice to change that. Based on my understanding of both GURPS and the series, it seems like a pretty difficult task.

And that's without getting into the really crazy kinds of powers that are in the series. Some of those seem downright impossible.

Last edited by Psychotime; 04-24-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
zoncxs

Impossible is just another word for Modular ability. :)
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
Refplace

It still seems to me like AF and Dupe with Projection is a good, though not chap way to go.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote