Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

View Poll Results: DFRPG Future, as whished for by Forumites
1) Just make more. 37 22.56%
2) .pdf with POD support 43 26.22%
2a) Seperate line. 10 6.10%
2b) Integrate into the DF line 67 40.85%
2c) Finish whats available, and end further production of new material. 1 0.61%
3) Simply end all further production, and place resources in other projects. 6 3.66%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2018, 08:37 AM   #181
GM Joe

Default Re: The Future of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
One campaign, not two. A printed Bestairy has almost no wide value if the boxed game is not available. Just creating a Bestiary without the box would be a poor use of Sean and the team’s time.
So, enough people will have to buy new DFRPG box sets through the Kickstarter to justify a new print run, and only then will we see the Bestiary?
Old 11-25-2018, 08:51 AM   #182
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Joe View Post
So, enough people will have to buy new DFRPG box sets through the Kickstarter to justify a new print run, and only then will we see the Bestiary?
The other way around, from what's been said: if the bestiary Kickstarter succeeds, showing that there's still a market for DFRPG, SJG will risk the money to reprint the boxed set.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:54 AM   #183
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Joe View Post
The project will have to meet the financial goal. If that happens, there will be a reprint and a new book of monsters.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:56 AM   #184
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
The other way around, from what's been said: if the bestiary Kickstarter succeeds, showing that there's still a market for DFRPG, SJG will risk the money to reprint the boxed set.
Not quite. The financial goal will cover both projects. This will be a realistic goal to justify both.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:17 AM   #185
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
At a guess, a single volume would surely be cheaper to manufacture than the box set, but repackaging the set as a single volume has new costs of its own in addition to the manufacturing costs, so you might not ultimately see an improved bottom line.
Revising all the content into a single book would basically mean starting over with an entirely new layout - requiring a fair amount of editorial and production staff time - and then shooting entirely new film for the book, which is its own not inconsiderable expense. Reprinting the box set means sending a check to the factory to make more using the film and files they already have. (It's *slightly* more complicated than that, but that's the gist.)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:18 AM   #186
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueFire View Post

Instead of reprinting the entire boxed set would it not be better to do a rules encyclopedia (or something similar) as a single larger book? I am assuming a single book would be cheaper to produce then an entire boxed set but I could be wrong.
Andrew already replied, but I want to amplify:

The physical product would be cheaper, you are right. The editorial and production costs, however, would be formidable. Combined editions are not the quick-and-easy products myth has them to be. They are pure living Hell to create because of all the changes to end matter, layout, page references, etc. . . . plus there's the hidden cost of lost good will in having two different presentations of the same rules out there, which leads to the perception of incompatibility (and often actual incompatibility owing to changes to page references) . . . and the further loss of good will when people buy the new product thinking it's different from the old, only to realize they've bought the same thing twice.

In reality, if you're going to rerelease a product that was originally a bunch of products as a single, combined product, it behooves you to declare a whole new edition, mark that on the covers, ads, and web pages, and wrap it all in new cover art just to be sure. And that's expensive every which way. Plus it isn't an option less than two years after releasing the original edition.

Last edited by Kromm; 11-30-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #187
Juliansl

Not to mention that it was split into multiple books for a very good reason. It's great being able to have one player check something in exploits while another is looking up something in adventurer.
Juliansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:22 PM   #188
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliansl View Post
Not to mention that it was split into multiple books for a very good reason. It's great being able to have one player check something in exploits while another is looking up something in adventurer.
Yes, I'm finding the separation of content into multiple books to be very useful and easy to access.

Sometimes innovation works in spite of those who warn against the departure from tradition and conformity to the current approved style (and industry leaders).

One option I see to some cost reduction in future releases of the DFRPG is to just reprint the existing books and contain them in a slipcase. This avoids the larger box, counters, and dice. Layout and page references do not change. Maybe all that changes is the title pages and slipcase production.

I'm not necessarily suggesting this option for the upcoming Kickstarter with the bestiary but for potential reprints after that.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:30 PM   #189
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
One option I see to some cost reduction in future releases of the DFRPG is to just reprint the existing books and contain them in a slipcase. This avoids the larger box, counters, and dice. Layout and page references do not change. Maybe all that changes is the title pages and slipcase production.
I'd be interested in understanding the viability of this. My (limited) knowledge suggests that easy repackaging into this format is limited by each sub-book not having its own ISBN. I'm not sure if one can just reprint those books as-is, throw a slipcase on it with an ISBN on THAT, and call it "RPG set" and have it treated as "book" and not "game," which is the most favorable category for customs treatment in many places.

Just to reiterate: this is me saying "I don't know," but I've heard that things that don't already have ISBNs are harder to repackage.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:45 PM   #190
lachimba

Im happy to hear that there will be more support for DFRPG.

There were a bunch of people who as soon as DFRPG came out started "lobbying" for the next boxed set to be [insert various GURPS titles here].

I give my standard disclaimer about not giving SJ Games advice. That said I remember being "tut tutted"when I suggested that the next step after DFRPG was in fact more DFRPG.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dfrpg