Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

View Poll Results: DFRPG Future, as whished for by Forumites
1) Just make more. 37 22.56%
2) .pdf with POD support 43 26.22%
2a) Seperate line. 10 6.10%
2b) Integrate into the DF line 67 40.85%
2c) Finish whats available, and end further production of new material. 1 0.61%
3) Simply end all further production, and place resources in other projects. 6 3.66%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2018, 02:11 PM   #141
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: The Future of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
They've got my money!
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:26 PM   #142
GM Joe

I'm so, so happy they're exploring not only a bestiary, but also the possibility of reprinting the box set.

DFRPG may yet arise from the dead!
Old 11-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #143
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
And to crib from my remark on GURPS Group North America:
To give a semi-official answer to the inevitable "Why these monsters?" and "Can I contribute?":

Art we've already sourced is what would decide what monsters appear. We would be creating new monsters to match existing art; we would not be reusing monsters from GURPS and/or using freelance contributions (neither of which is likely to happen to match the art we already have in hand), and then commissioning art. Doing things this way is what would make the project affordable enough to consider.

TL; DR: We wouldn't be taking requests. We'd be looking at our grab-bag of art and delivering a matching grab-bag of monsters.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #144
voodoo54

I'm ready to buy this now!
voodoo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:27 PM   #145
Dalin

Is it available today? <drool>
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:43 PM   #146
Ulairi

I hope you guys take it to KS and give us a chance to have a stretch goal for more card boards tokens.
Ulairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:51 PM   #147
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
I hope you guys take it to KS and give us a chance to have a stretch goal for more card boards tokens.
I was going to suggest the same about the Cardboard Heroes miniatures. It'd be great to see those as an option. Given the book's premise of "only monsters for which artwork exists", though, I wonder whether some monsters might have artwork that's not well suited to a miniature.

Anyway, the only other off-hand suggestions I have are:
  • Best to title it Monsters II, if it's a follow-up to the existing Monsters...
  • ...Unless Bestiary is just a better name, for whatever reason. (In which case, a page or few with mundane beasts – horses, dogs, oxen, deer, etc. – would be great. For those, we don't need artwork!)
  • 64 pages sounds good, matching the existing book. Then again, nobody's going to complain over even more pages and monsters...
  • Any way to give each monster some rough measure of "challenge level"? An indication of how many monsters might challenge how many PCs, or whether a monster should be considered fodder, worthy, or boss (or how many of the monster would take an encounter from fodder to worthy, etc.)? I know, a meaningful rating is dependent on so many factors, it may not be worth the effort... But it's a thought.
  • Would this new book be the perfect place to bring in the "Monster Prefixes" section from DF's Monsters 1 book (mods to turn a monster Elemental, Juggernaut, Undead, etc.)? Surely, I say!

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:59 PM   #148
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
I was going to suggest the same about the Cardboard Heroes miniatures. It'd be great to see those as an option.
This brings up an excuse for me to again suggest that SJG reprint Cardboard Heroes as a Kickstarter, and do it like the DFRPG box.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:02 PM   #149
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
We'd be looking at our grab-bag of art and delivering a matching grab-bag of monsters.
For the curious, these are all in Cardboard Heroes and are not in DFRPG or DFM3 (which would need only a modicum of work and has artwork):

Kobold, Alligator, Wolf, Giant Weasel, Panther, Giant Frog, Giant Beetle, Giant Crab, Great Ape, Mummy, Wight, Ghoul, Golem (bronze, crystal, flesh, iron, clay, rag, wood), Imp, Octopus-Man, Succubus, Satyr, Weretiger, Werebear, Wereboar, Wererat, Titan, Ogre Mage, Giant (hill, fire, cloud, storm, frost, two-headed), Witch (would work as a hag), Death.

There’s also a bunch non-threatening animals (dogs, cats, Bill Gates—well, maybe a little more threatening than Bill Gates) and NPCs (nobles, bandits, evil wizards).

I presume there is some other artwork at hand. I’m a little surprised there’s no wraith in Cardboard Heroes given that there’s a template in GURPS Magic, 3e and 4e. I guess there’s something at hand for them. I think there’s a centaur in GURPS Banestorm. The giant Venus flytrap from GURPS Bestiary likely also has something handy. Other things possibly at hand are catoblepas/gorgon, giant fly, giant lizard, hippogriff, pegasus, rukh, and unicorn. Does someone know for sure, from old GURPS books?

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:23 AM   #150
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
We'd be looking at our grab-bag of art and delivering a matching grab-bag of monsters.
I always wanted to ask . . .

Why wasn't the existing Dungeon Fantasy monster artwork inserted into DFRPG Monsters?

All I have speculated was:
  • It was not in color
  • Page count was already high
  • Licensing issues

Or something else?

Adding more existing art to Monsters would have really made it more tangible. Can any of that be reused for the Bestiary with or without color?
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dfrpg