Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-02-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
GWJ

Default Nageteppo and Runaround Attack

Are Runaround Attack is still just "-2 to defend" even if my foe is blind? Or there is smoke between two of us? Or from another reason he can't see me at the start of his turn DESPITE I am in front of him at the start of my turn? I'm asking because I have Thief in our team, and he isn't too helpful in combat... Or is greatly dependent of other teammates
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: Nageteppo and Runaround Attack

The pertinent rules for this sort of situation are under Visibility (Exploits, p. 36) for attacks and Visibility and Defense, (Exploits, p. 47) for defenses.

If there is a wall of smoke between combatants, there is no defense penalty (because the defender can still see the weapon coming). If you have a weapon that can reach your foe, melee attacks would require a hearing roll at -2 to determine the correct hex to target and then a -6 penalty to the attack with random hit locations.

If the cloud of smoke has enveloped the target, the thief could make the hearing roll and then attack at -6. The target would count as "on alert," so they'd have a -4 dodge penalty and would need to make Hearing -2 to be able to block or parry (also at -4). If the thief was fast and could attack from a side or rear hex, I would add another -2 penalty to the defense.

It's unclear to me whether a blind defender could add a retreat to any of this. Based on the existing rules, I would probably require them to make a Hearing -2 roll in order to retreat in the correct direction.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:25 PM   #3
GWJ

I thought something more like toss smoke grenade at the foe's feet, and then go for Backstab
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:05 PM   #4
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWJ View Post
I thought something more like toss smoke grenade at the foe's feet, and then go for Backstab
Do it next turn then.

Seriously though if this works then why doesn't every combat PC and enemy do it? Its not thief specific.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote