Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-22-2005, 05:57 PM   #1
WasteAid

Default Shotgun Slugs

How should the damage for shotgun slugs be figured in 4e?

also any thoughts on other shotgun ammo related subjects would be appreciated such as: Rifled shotguns (deer guns), Saboted slugs, Military rounds (flechette), or special purpose rounds (bean bag or lock breaching)

Thanx
WasteAid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 06:24 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Shotgun Slugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasteAid

also any thoughts on other shotgun ammo related subjects would be appreciated such as: Rifled shotguns (deer guns), Saboted slugs, Military rounds (flechette), or special purpose rounds (bean bag or lock breaching)

Thanx
The SWAT team at the local Sheriff's office says that shotgun bean bags are too inaccurate so they've switched to foam rounds developed for the military that are fired from a 40mm breach loading rifled grenade launcher, with an effective range of around 40 yards. (They still use 37mm for smoke.)

I wounder how many rogue cyborgs it'll take before they grab some 40mm HEDP rounds. ;-)
Old 05-22-2005, 06:41 PM   #3
WasteAid

Also, should the dmage for multiple projectiles at less than 10% of 1/2D still be pi- or should it upgrade to pi, pi+ or maybe even pi++?
Old 05-22-2005, 06:51 PM   #4
WasteAid

For rouge cyborgs you could use the APDS rounds described on Gurps 4e pg. 280, swap out the Tungsten dart with silver (or maybe a silver slug) for Werewolves, and with wood for Vampires. Shotguns are so useful. . .
Old 05-22-2005, 07:08 PM   #5
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasteAid

Thanx
A full bore slug at 1500 fps (about 437 grains) would do 5d pi++
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:30 PM   #6
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole
A full bore slug at 1500 fps (about 437 grains) would do 5d pi++
I saw a rule of thumb on the Pyramid boards (I forget who posted it), suggesting x3 damage, and x3 range over shot. As the shot loads are assumed to have nine pellets, this makes sense (in terms of damage).

This gives a 12 gauge slug 3d+3 pi++. For flechettes I'd give them the same damage as shot, a (2) armour modifier and pi- damage (IIRC Hans has said shot should do pi, not pi-).

I'd give slugs the same acc as shot, unless the gun has rifle style sights, and/or is rifled for slugs, in which case I'd give them +1 acc. More than that would make them as accurate as modern long-range rifles, which seems excessive.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:44 PM   #7
Sam Cade

Dedicated slug guns shoot in the 2 to 4moa range.
Rifled slugs through a smoothbore IME shoot 4 to 6moa on average, with the exceptional gun,choke, and load combo that will shoot as well as a rifled gun.

http://www.jpfo.org/
كافر
Sam Cade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:48 PM   #8
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert
I saw a rule of thumb on the Pyramid boards (I forget who posted it), suggesting x3 damage, and x3 range over shot. As the shot loads are assumed to have nine pellets, this makes sense (in terms of damage).

This gives a 12 gauge slug 3d+3 pi++. For flechettes I'd give them the same damage as shot, a (2) armour modifier and pi- damage (IIRC Hans has said shot should do pi, not pi-).

I'd give slugs the same acc as shot, unless the gun has rifle style sights, and/or is rifled for slugs, in which case I'd give them +1 acc. More than that would make them as accurate as modern long-range rifles, which seems excessive.
The thing is for damage, the rough progression in terms of penetration that I worked out from 3e still holds. So a 437gr slug, 18.5mm, 1585fps should do about 5d damage. Clearly it's pi++ due to size. For a smaller load, at 1350fps, that's 4d+1 (not that different than the 3d+3 you suggest)

For shot, some large buckshot is pi (00 and 000 buck); everything else is pi- or smaller, per pellet. For some loads, you actually need to group pellets together to get a meaningful number of pellets, penetration, and wound number.

Granted, this is all using my ballistics article based stuff; but I think it holds water.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:50 PM   #9
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cade
Dedicated slug guns shoot in the 2 to 4moa range.
Rifled slugs through a smoothbore IME shoot 4 to 6moa on average, with the exceptional gun,choke, and load combo that will shoot as well as a rifled gun.
I'd call this Acc 5 and 4, respectively. Acc 5 is typical for assault rifles, which are in the 1.5 to 4 MoA range. This puts the second category in "slightly worse than Acc 5" range, I'd say.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:17 PM   #10
Sam Cade

I agree with you 100% DouglasCole.

http://www.jpfo.org/
كافر
Sam Cade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guns