Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
Orenria

Default Looking for players for weekend afternoon GURPS

Hello all, I am looking for players for a GURPS campaign that runs weekly on Saturday we are currently looking for 1-3 players. This campaign is in a medieval fantasy setting, it is a borderline cinematic campaign i.e. Humans can't take the Combat Reflexes advantage or the Flight advantage but you can aquire them through play. The current starting PV is 175 for new characters. The world you would be entering is one played in more than one campaign and as such its possible for each party to effect the world in their own ways. The world does not run on Skyrim time, if the party decides to sit in a city for years the world will happen around them.

As a caution this will not be an easy campaign, be prepared to lose multiple characters. We have had over 10 characters die since the start of the original campaign and recently we lost 4/5 of the party to one of the few organized bandit groups on the continent (5+1 party members and one npc vs 10 low point bandits).

The campaign will be using Skype as a voice communication system and will run on either Saturday or Sunday (whichever is better for the party).

Below is the Obsidian Portal page where the lore of the campaign is as well as a wiki of all the world specific races and rules, as well as important PCs and NPCs.

https://the-war-of-mourn.obsidianportal.com/

Last edited by Orenria; 12-01-2015 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Forgot link
Orenria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #2
Wavefunction

Default Re: Looking for players for weekend afternoon GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenria View Post
This campaign is in a medieval fantasy setting, it is a borderline cinematic campaign i.e. Humans can't take the Combat Reflexes advantage or the Flight advantage but you can aquire them through play.[/url]
I don't want to derail the thread so early, but I feel this is important to determine the feel. You're lumping together Combat Reflexes and Flight? Combat Reflexes is a rather potent and slightly OTT advantage that the vast majority of soldier wouldn't possess in real life, but a few skilled veterans certainly would. Whilst flight is completely supernatural, and would seem excessive for all but the most insane of Wuxia martial art movies.

Could you elaborate on the reasoning behind choosing those two?
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:10 PM   #3
Orenria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
I don't want to derail the thread so early, but I feel this is important to determine the feel. You're lumping together Combat Reflexes and Flight? Combat Reflexes is a rather potent and slightly OTT advantage that the vast majority of soldier wouldn't possess in real life, but a few skilled veterans certainly would. Whilst flight is completely supernatural, and would seem excessive for all but the most insane of Wuxia martial art movies.

Could you elaborate on the reasoning behind choosing those two?
Yeah, I feel like combat reflexes signifies reflexes faster than a human could manage. That's why (in GURPS: Characters) cat-folk get combat reflexes because they have "cat-like" reflexes. That's just the way I see the advantage anyway. I don't know if I would allow combat reflexes on a skilled veteran, also I just chose them as they both came to mind as something humans are generally not allowed to take.

Last edited by Orenria; 12-01-2015 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 12-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #4
Wavefunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenria View Post
Yeah, I feel like combat reflexes signifies reflexes faster than a human could manage. That's why (in GURPS: Characters) cat-folk get combat reflexes because they have "cat-like" reflexes. That's just the way I see the advantage anyway. I don't know if I would allow combat reflexes on a skilled veteran, also I just chose them as they both came to mind as something humans are generally not allowed to take.
But you would be allowed to acquire something like Flight in play? Would that be via some kind of magical empowerment or simply through sheer cinematism?

EDIT: Note, I agree Combat Reflexes is excessive, I don't think it's beyond human capabilities, rather the problem seems to be the lack of minor versions, in reality you don't simply have good reflexes or truly incredible reflexes with no in between.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #5
Orenria

Quote:
But you would be allowed to acquire something like Flight in play? Would that be via some kind of magical empowerment or simply through sheer cinematism?
Magic most definitely. Afew artifacts that the thursday campaign has aquired.

1) Helm that gives a level of charisma
2)Gauntlets that act like a body of metal temporarily

One of the party members also became a half-dragon, through a very poorly thought out idea. He ended up getting extremely lucky and surviving the process.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #6
Orenria

Quote:
EDIT: Note, I agree Combat Reflexes is excessive, I don't think it's beyond human capabilities, rather the problem seems to be the lack of minor versions, in reality you don't simply have good reflexes or truly incredible reflexes with no in between.
I have thought up a minor version it might not be perfect but it is an in between.
https://the-war-of-mourn.obsidianpor...ombat-reflexes
Old 12-02-2015, 10:19 PM   #7
VariousRen

I've played in Orenria's Thursday session (I'm the one with the charisma helm, for reference). The game is something like a JRPG, where normal people and super powered heroes live in the same world together, so the old man down the street might have mind reading powers, skill 19 in broadsword, or be completely incompetent.

The game is also very combat based and heavily skewed towards fights against large powerful monsters rather than hordes of fodder. Players start off as normal realistic humans, but almost always become better through play over time. Perhaps the best way to explain it is taking DF monsters and facing them off against low tech warriors (with the addition of wizards), you win by having a solid strategy, enough warm bodies to absorb the losses, or enough magic to turn the enemy into a pile of dust.

We don't bother spending much time with social interactions, but do spend a lot of time roaming across the map (which is basically open world, we choose our own goals more often than not). The world is active enough to seem interesting, without being oppressive and demanding action at every turn.

If that sounds interesting to you, let us know :)
Old 12-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #8
Orenria

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
We don't bother spending much time with social interactions
Thats like 90% the party's leadership, they tend to be lethal to strangers.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:21 PM   #9
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Combat reflexes isn't about having good reflexes at all. It's about being an experienced combatant. A combat veteran. It's implicitly meant to be acquired by almost all the player characters during a traditional-style action-adventuring campaign, and in most cases quickly.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:59 AM   #10
Wavefunction

I'd like to join, the idea of a heavily-armoured centaur knight wielding a shield and lance and slamming everything into oblivion sounds like it would be a lot of fun. It's also always interesting to experience new GMing styles. Unfortunately I don't really have time.

Tags
gurps 4th edition, lfg, looking for players