Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-26-2005, 09:47 PM   #71
Kyle Aaron
MIB

Default Re: Range penalties fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther
Mh? you wrote:It's one person telling what he observed.It's still cool, but far from the definitive study about real world performances . . .
One person observed 500 people.

See, ther you go again, Luther, picking part of one sentence and using it to condemn the whole piece.

I'm not interested in this nitpicking. It's not even nitpicking, it's live vivisection of nits, and it's utterly unproductive.

I'm out of this thread, have fun turning it into another one of your Monster Threads.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:09 PM   #72
Luther
Grim Reaper

Do as you want Jim.

I didn't wanted to start a debate at all, but your statements about GURPS were strong and sharp. If someone make such claims ("crazy", "insane") I'd expect at least some verifiable evidence, but you brought nothing more than anecdotes. Big anecdotes, in your words, but still anecdotes.

One person tells that 500 recruits do this way, and you state that GURPS rules are crazy and insane. Then you attack me personally because I question your sources. Wow. I'm impressed.

Your posts, and more seriously and sadly your writings, suffer all from the same syndrome: you make huge generalization ignoring the condition which should be satified in order to generalize. From a game designer I would expect more intellectual rigor.

God of the Cult of Stat Normalization
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:59 AM   #73
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin
I have spent numerous years as a range instructor for the US Army and many scared days in actual combat. I think the GURPS rules model reality fairly well.
Now *that's* a reality check!

Quote:
If you want to compare range live-fire to accuracy in combat you need to add the following mods for training ranges:

a. No one is trying to kill me +5.
i.e., Routine use of a skill under non-stressful conditions: +4 bonus per GURPS Basic, 4e

Quote:
b. I haven't been awake 47 hours straight +2.
i.e., No -2 penaly to IQ and DX due to lack of Sleep.

Quote:
c. I haven't pooped my drawers +1.
i.e., Not Distracted. No penalties for failed Fright Checks.

Quote:
d. I'm actually aiming at the target rather than staying under cover and just poking the gun out to take random shots in the vague general direction of the enemy +5.
i.e., using All-Out Attack (Determined) and taking time to aim so as to get the full Acc value for the weapon.

And, as other people have mentioned, you can double Acc values for GURPS 4e weapons to get "firing range accuracy."
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guns