Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
Icelander

Default Ar-10(t) .300 Rsaum

I'm statting the AR-10(T) in .300 RSAUM (in case anyone is geek enough to care, the version I'm going for is the one tested in this article, with a Horus Vision 4-16x scope with H25 tactical reticle, Optical Systems Technology's AN/PVS-22 UNS and Keng’s Firearms Specialty Versa Pod bipod; but loaded with 200 gr bullets).

The ballistics are similar to the .300 Win Mag, but the velocity is a shade less. Douglas Cole's equation yields a 8d+1 pi damage from a 24-in barrel, which is the same as the .300 Win Mag gets from a barrel that length in the Browning BAR Magnum (HT p. 117) but a point less than the .300 Win Mag gets for the G22 (HT p. 119). The range is harder. Logically, it should be slightly less than the .300 Win Mag (Range 1,600/6,600), but the difference may well be below the GURPS resolution.

Tentatively, I've decided on the following statistics:

ArmaLite AR-10(T); .300 RSAUM Rifle;
TL: 8;
Dmg: 8d+1 pi;
Acc: 6+4;
Range: 1,600/6,600;
Weight: 15.5/0.7;
RoF: 3;
Shots: 5+1(3);
ST: 11B;
Bulk: -6;
Rcl: 3;
LC: 3;
Cost: $15,500/$40;

The cost and weight include the AN/PVS-22 UNS, which costs $11,000 and weights 1.9 lbs.

Does anyone have suggestions? Corrections?

Last edited by Icelander; 02-18-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
happylrac

Default Re: Ar-10(t) .300 Rsaum

The link mentions you refered to states "The magazine’s bolt catch trip must be manually depressed as the second round is loaded as with early AR-10 magazines. This is a minor inconvenience and takes a bit of practice to learn, but once the technique is learned, it becomes almost second nature."

This doc also mentions that the ROF is 40/minute. I am assuming it is using the .308 here. It also mentions "BARREL LIFE depends on how fast the rifle is fired, and how accurate the shooter insists it must be. Shooting the rifle as fast as the trigger can be pulled can ruin the barrel in just a few hundred rounds."

So, I'm guessing the ROF may be less. A Perk could take care of this however. Players love buying perks that make "items" special for their use.

In anycase, I know in a bolt action the short magnum shells like the 300 WSM can really kick hard. It hurts! I don't know anyone who takes theirs out "for fun". They sight in before hunting season, hunt with it, and back it goes into the gun cabinet until next year. After talking with shooters who have rifles using those short magnums I went with a 30-06. So I was going to comment on the recoil but have no idea what the recoil in a AR semi-auto would be though. And given the price and availability of a rifle like that I don't think I ever will!
happylrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:43 PM   #3
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by happylrac
The link mentions you refered to states "The magazine’s bolt catch trip must be manually depressed as the second round is loaded as with early AR-10 magazines. This is a minor inconvenience and takes a bit of practice to learn, but once the technique is learned, it becomes almost second nature."

This doc also mentions that the ROF is 40/minute. I am assuming it is using the .308 here. It also mentions "BARREL LIFE depends on how fast the rifle is fired, and how accurate the shooter insists it must be. Shooting the rifle as fast as the trigger can be pulled can ruin the barrel in just a few hundred rounds."

So, I'm guessing the ROF may be less. A Perk could take care of this however. Players love buying perks that make "items" special for their use.
The ROF is based on the speed of the action, not the sustainable rate of aimed fire. In practice, few characters will ever fire a sniper rifle 40/minutes, let alone faster. But if necessary, they could easily squeeze off 3 shots in a single second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happylrac
In anycase, I know in a bolt action the short magnum shells like the 300 WSM can really kick hard. It hurts! I don't know anyone who takes theirs out "for fun". They sight in before hunting season, hunt with it, and back it goes into the gun cabinet until next year. After talking with shooters who have rifles using those short magnums I went with a 30-06. So I was going to comment on the recoil but have no idea what the recoil in a AR semi-auto would be though. And given the price and availability of a rifle like that I don't think I ever will!
It probably does hurt, yep, but the gun is heavy. Given that the G22 with .300 Win Mag is only Rcl 2 (despite kicking like a mule), I didn't think that it was warranted giving it Rcl 4+. GURPS Rcl isn't the same as felt recoil.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:43 PM   #4
Mr Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander
Dmg: 8d+1 pi-;
....Corrections?
Dmg: 8d+1 pi

It is a high velocity rifle bullet . Characters gives even 5.56 as pi so pi- would be wrong .
Old 02-18-2009, 03:38 AM   #5
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Frost
Dmg: 8d+1 pi

It is a high velocity rifle bullet . Characters gives even 5.56 as pi so pi- would be wrong .
Indeed. That "-" was a remnant of the formatting.

Tags
guns, high-tech, modern firepower