Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-11-2016, 05:31 AM   #1
faitfull

Default The pain of loosing my character. a little sad story

So, together with my great friends, we play gurps in TL10, beginning tl11 campaign.

We have run this group for more than a year and I really begin to like my character. He is a human marsian pilot, and a annoying lecherousness and xenophobia character that just can’t help himself seeing the world as a beautiful place and traveling around with the little dream of finding a female of all kinds out there and bang it.... yes really... he is dumb in that regard! But just somehow really fun to play!

So we were running around in this mine, where we just rescued a agent to a contact (that my character dream of taking for a date)

First big encounter, we take the elevator, when we open the door we press ourselves to the sides while bullets begin flying everywhere when the door opens. We go into the fire fight and win pretty well. Nothing there could touch my character. In my invisibility suit combined with a good dodge.

After the encounter, I decide to camouflage like a enemy and take a enemies uniform, thinking it is a good idea.

Next encounter, 3 sentry guns are in out way. We move forward. Forgetting a moment that I look like "Steve from the army" and not having my stealth suit activated run forward. Did get the "he get a few dots on him!" that a ally sees but does not tell me.

So I run forward trusting that the -6 for stealth armour to hit me will help me out like it always do! However like I said forgot I look like Steve for a short moment.

The sentry guns does not care if it is a friend or not... they are set to kill whatever comes there way, friend or foe and open fire.

So I manage to make a decent dodge and dodge 2 of the 8 bullets hitting me, however that last 6 bullets bring me from 10hp (my max) to -20 and forcing me to make a HT roll.... I have 13 HT and think, this is okay... on 14-15 I will get a fatal wound... but who cares in the end.....

My GM dislikes watching and turning his back to the game for a moment.... I roll the dices.... 16.... a single digit to much..... Instant dead...

may my best character in my games rest in peace.... what to do now!

what ever I think of to a new character, I still feel like it is not so good that I like the situation.... and he was so close to go on a date with our contact!
faitfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:30 AM   #2
Nymdok

Default Re: The pain of loosing my character. a little sad story

Quote:
Originally Posted by faitfull View Post
may my best character in my games rest in peace.... what to do now!

what ever I think of to a new character, I still feel like it is not so good that I like the situation.... and he was so close to go on a date with our contact!
Always a shame when you loose a character you like, but its an opportunity to try a new Character!

If you REALLY just cannot bear to let that one go, then depending on how long you're character has been dead, perhaps you could work something out with the GM to get you Resurrected?

As I read the description, you were at -HPx2, BAD sure, but not non-negotiable BAD.

Perhaps your GM would consider a bit of 'deus ex machina' on your behalf in exchange for a sizable Disadvantage? Its TL10+ so come up with a few ideas that would allow you to be brought back to life via the marvels of Science! (New Mechanical Heart, Zombie retro virus, heretofore unknown regenerative mutation, Trip to Miracle Max to find out that you're only mostly dead, etc).

If he wont budge on that one, then get busy building a new Character and get back in the game! You cannot exhaust its infinite variety.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
Anders

Or since it's a point-buy system, you can play his clone!

(I don't recommend this, btw)
Old 10-11-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Maybe take Common Sense next time...
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:57 AM   #5
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post
Always a shame when you loose a character you like, but its an opportunity to try a new Character!

If you REALLY just cannot bear to let that one go, then depending on how long you're character has been dead, perhaps you could work something out with the GM to get you Resurrected?

As I read the description, you were at -HPx2, BAD sure, but not non-negotiable BAD.

Perhaps your GM would consider a bit of 'deus ex machina' on your behalf in exchange for a sizable Disadvantage? Its TL10+ so come up with a few ideas that would allow you to be brought back to life via the marvels of Science! (New Mechanical Heart, Zombie retro virus, heretofore unknown regenerative mutation, Trip to Miracle Max to find out that you're only mostly dead, etc).

If he wont budge on that one, then get busy building a new Character and get back in the game! You cannot exhaust its infinite variety.

Nymdok
I like some of these ideas. You can take a cue from GURPS: Transhuman Space, maybe, and say that somebody uploaded the mind of the character from his dying brain. Now, he's a mind emulation (that mostly works right) hosted in a quantum computer housed in the head of an android.

However, the person who did this for the character didn't do it, for free. He expects the character to work on his or her behalf, which means the character now has a Duty to this new patron.

If the character refuses, well, the new patron says he has installed a backdoor to the character's mind, and will trigger an algorithm that gives the character the disadvantage, "Slave Mentality." However, the new patron really would prefer to not do that, since he wants to use the character's ability to act with initiative.

So, the patron says, suck it up son, get with the program and play as a part of the (new) team!

(There's also a carrot. The android body is an off-the-shelf model with only basic features. If the character serves the new patron well, he can get some upgrades -- including, for instance, enhanced strength or toughness, or maybe even some anatomically correct genitalia that actually work, and include sensory feedback.)
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:15 PM   #6
Mailanka

Your poor contact. I hope someone can still take her out on a date. Contacts deserve love too!