Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-02-2018, 10:32 AM   #101
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Fighting Gods

I would say every deity should have a form of immortality and superhuman capabilities. For example, the deities that I build have an immortality with a minimum of Immunity to Metabolic Hazards (with Cosmic), Regeneration (Regular with Cosmic and Heals Radiation), Regrowth (with Cosmic), Unaging (with Cosmic), and Unkillable 3 (with Cosmic), which ends up costing 401 CP. I also give them a minimum of ST+10, DX+10, IQ+10, HT+10, and Cosmic Talent 4 to represent superhuman capabilities, which adds an additional 660 CP. With an additional 139 CP worth of positive traits, the final deity template cost is 1200 CP, allowing them to work as 2000 CP characters.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:40 AM   #102
Purple Snit

Gods have whatever you need them to have for your story. The Lovecraft's Gods are literary creations, with specific rules outlined in both the various tales, and a dedicated rpg. Gods from myth, legend, and current faiths would be quite different from this, because their purpose is different from those in short stories.
You CAN build them with points (I have done so, as have a few others) - the main discussion here is, a) SHOULD you in most cases, and b) why are you using them, because Gods don't exist in cultures just so adventurers can kill them. Arguably, mortals CAN'T kill Gods, because if it's just a powerful magical being that you can kill, it's "just" a monster, and not really a God.
Purple Snit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #103
Flyndaran
Untagged

Monster and god are not power levels. They are subjective value judgments on whether something is natural or not.
And like with the Lovecraft mythos, sometimes entities can be all of the above, monster, god, natural, and unnatural.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #104
AlexanderHowl

Actually, I would suggest that anything that is a 'god' should be built on a minimum of 2,000 CP. Anything less, and they are just a powerful monster or powerful mortal than the average person mistakes for a 'god'. Now, the Great Old Ones of Lovecraft very much qualify by my definitions because they are immortal entities with superhuman attributes, and they are probably between 2,000 to 4,000 CP.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote