Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
Anders

Default Interesting Nickel alloys at early TL

I found this passage via the Wikipedia article on nickel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Rosenberg, Nickel and its alloys (1968)
The first manmade alloy containing nickel, believed to date back to 3500-3100 B.C., is a bronze reamer containing 2.73 percent nickel found in the plain of Antioch in Syria [3]. The earliest copper-nickel alloy objects which are known to have survived to the present day are coins minted in Bactria, an ancient kingdom situated north of present-day Afghanistan [4].
Coins (c. 200-190 B.C.) issued during the reign of the Greek sub-king Euthydemus II analyzed 20.038 percent nickel and 77.585 percent copper
[5]. It is interesting to note that this composition is very near that of the 75/25 Cu/Ni alloy used for minting the U. S. five-cent coin.
So it seems you could get a pretty high concentration of nickel, although I don't know if it was intentional. Can you purify nickel with TL 2-3 technology and what interesting and what kind of fun alloys could this yield?
Old 03-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Interesting Nickel alloys at early TL

IIRC, while nickel alloys go way back, nickel wasn't isolated until somewhere around the TL4/5 borderline. I suspect that old nickel alloys are unintentional, like arsenic bronze.

ETA: Or maybe not.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!

Last edited by Turhan's Bey Company; 03-17-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
Anders

Nickel was purified in 1751, by a Swedish guy - Cronstedt (I wonder if his descendant was the Cronstedt so denigrated by Finnish national poet Johan Ludvig Runeberg for the fall of Sveaborg).
Old 03-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
So it seems you could get a pretty high concentration of nickel, although I don't know if it was intentional. Can you purify nickel with TL 2-3 technology and what interesting and what kind of fun alloys could this yield?
I think the big problem would be that nickel ores are frequently mixed with other metals, so the result from TL 2-3 methods would nickel pre-mixed with something else. On the other hand, this isn't necessarily a big problem, since most applications for nickel involve alloys anyway.

Mostly, the results would be unexciting, though. Nickel makes for good steel alloys, but it's still pretty much like steel. Having access to stainless steel would be nice but not world-changing.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #5
Anaraxes

Cupronickel resists corrosion from salt water, and so might find use in seafaring applications. I don't know that it did historically -- perhaps because of expense -- but there we are.

Stainless steel, but then you'll need chromium as well.

There are some very stable alloys that don't expand or change elasticity with temperature. These are good for high-precision instruments and chronometers and so on. If the rest of the TL isn't up to it, though, you may not have any problems that need such high-precision solutions. On the other hand, you can always argue that enabling the solution allows people to find uses for them, whereas if you don't have them at all, people are just stuck.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternative technology, nickel