Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-26-2019, 03:25 PM   #81
Kax

Default Re: What could a scientist in my Star Wars RPG be researching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
To weaponize it again is redundant and I can’t think of any other applications. Rick and Morty used it for propulsion as concentrated dark matter but I don’t buy that idea.

Ah, but the scientist could think of other uses. And he's not telling anyone any details including you.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:26 PM   #82
Kax

Quote:
Is dark matter even able to be made physical?

It is physical, that's it's power--to be physical but untouchable, and to be massy.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:34 PM   #83
Maximum7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kax View Post
Quote: " a type of dark energy called quintessence".

Which implies very strongly there's more than one type of dark energy.

Also, he could be looking for a use of 'quintessence' that doesn't involve pulling suns into hyperspace for funsies.
No. It doesn’t pull in Suns. Starkiller Base drains the sun and turns the quintessence into Phantom energy.

What could quintessence be used for besides blowing up a solar system?
Maximum7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:12 PM   #84
Kax

Quote:
No. It doesn’t pull in Suns. Starkiller Base drains the sun and turns the quintessence into Phantom energy.

What could quintessence be used for besides blowing up a solar system?

That's at least three conversions of energy. You can pull something useful out of that. Does it matter what his end result is?

Description says that the sun is used as a power source and collectors collect ambient dark energy and store it. This involved sucking the sun up and making it go dark, as shown in the movie--so they are effectively schloorping the sun up and using the power from it to power devices that suck ambient dark energy from the surrounding universe.

Then when the stored dark energy is released it turns into 'Phantom energy' that allows it to travel through part of hyperspace ('sub-hyperspace').

Quintessence was a name they gave the stored form of dark energy, probably because it sounded cool in the project management briefs.

So, a scientist could find 23 different non-weapon uses for a scaled-down version of this, and that's just over lunch.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #85
Phantasm

It seems to me that the OP's idea is "give me something that has never appeared in any Star Wars book, comic, movie, video game, or tie-in resource", and seems to be using both the old EU and the current Disney-canon to shoot down ideas.

At this point, I think there's nothing left! There are even Elder Things, interdimensional travel, and time travel in various EU sources. The same book that gave us Elder Things and interdimensional travel also included a white dwarf star that had cooled to stop radiating heat and was breaking up (The Crystal Star, by Vonda McIntyre; IMO, it reads like a novel intended for independent publication that had Star Wars hammered into it due to a contract with LucasArts than a true Star Wars novel).

So even if this scientist was studying the process of extreme advanced solar decay, well, "it's been done already".

Anyway, give us the time frame the game is set in, and if some stuff has already shown up in a later time frame than the game, please don't dismiss it out of hand because "it's already been done". There's a good chance your character may be the one to make the breakthrough needed to make it work!

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:45 PM   #86
Maximum7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
It seems to me that the OP's idea is "give me something that has never appeared in any Star Wars book, comic, movie, video game, or tie-in resource", and seems to be using both the old EU and the current Disney-canon to shoot down ideas.

At this point, I think there's nothing left! There are even Elder Things, interdimensional travel, and time travel in various EU sources. The same book that gave us Elder Things and interdimensional travel also included a white dwarf star that had cooled to stop radiating heat and was breaking up (The Crystal Star, by Vonda McIntyre; IMO, it reads like a novel intended for independent publication that had Star Wars hammered into it due to a contract with LucasArts than a true Star Wars novel).

So even if this scientist was studying the process of extreme advanced solar decay, well, "it's been done already".

Anyway, give us the time frame the game is set in, and if some stuff has already shown up in a later time frame than the game, please don't dismiss it out of hand because "it's already been done". There's a good chance your character may be the one to make the breakthrough needed to make it work!

Canon New Republic
Maximum7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sci fi, star wars, technology