Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
DSumner
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The North American Combine
Default Re: Villains & Vigilantes is back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Not me. I easily figured out how to generate sensible V&V characters. Just stop rolling on on the powers table when I got a power/device/item I knew I wanted to delete, and start rolling on the training table. I could roll ten characters, and all but one would be useful coherent concepts, and often ones I never would have thought of myself.
Ding! I've done that several times myself. That way, I got power, a decent set of stats, and possibly some attack or defense bonuses. But, I also liked to see just how creative I could get by modifying certain powers.
__________________
"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist
 
jeff_wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dallas, Texas
Default Re: Villains & Vigilantes is back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Everybody did... I think that was supposed to be one of the game's "charms" :|
Absolutely! In V&V, names like "Mollusk Man" and "Platypus Monk" are rightly feared and respected.
__________________
.
Reposed playtest leader.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #13
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Villains & Vigilantes is back!

Mollusk powers are very big in the Lovecraftian menagerie. And Doctor Octopus had a mollusk device. I don't recall being able to roll up monotreme powers, though.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #14
stefanj
 
stefanj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Beaverton, OR
Default Re: Villains & Vigilantes is back!

Well, dang.

Last I heard, V&V was about the only item being reprinted by FGU, and the only item for which royalties was being paid.

This really ticked off Jeff Dee, who was getting checks but would rather have his game back.

I know that FGU has been selling my old V&V adventures (Pentacle Plot, Deeps of Space, Opponents Unlimited), but haven't only not gotten a royalty check since 1987, but haven't heard anything from Scott since 1991. Really, it is the latter that ticks me off more. I don't need the money any more, but utter silence from a publisher who got me my start in the industry is kind of annoying.
__________________
Alphabet Arcane / MacGuffin Alphabet / Unnight
Twitter: StefanEJones
stefanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:04 PM   #15
Ze'Manel Cunha
 
Ze'Manel Cunha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Antilles, it's hot...
Default Re: Villains & Vigilantes is back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj View Post
I know that FGU has been selling my old V&V adventures (Pentacle Plot, Deeps of Space, Opponents Unlimited), but haven't only not gotten a royalty check since 1987, but haven't heard anything from Scott since 1991. Really, it is the latter that ticks me off more. I don't need the money any more, but utter silence from a publisher who got me my start in the industry is kind of annoying.
Could be you need to reach out to whoever is not paying your royalties, try friendly like first, then do it legal like if they don't acknowledge you.
__________________
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. -RAH
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #16
stefanj
 
stefanj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Beaverton, OR
Default Re: Villains & Vigilantes is back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Could be you need to reach out to whoever is not paying your royalties, try friendly like first, then do it legal like if they don't acknowledge you.
Oh, I tried friendly. I sent address updates when I went to grad school (and could have used the money) and moved to California and moved to Oregon.

I am really not all that motivated to go farther. I wouldn't mind getting the rights back so maybe Jeff & Jack could republish them, but only if it wasn't too much trouble. Rewriting that stuff would mean REALLY rewriting them. I wrote that stuff on a TYPEWRITER.
__________________
Alphabet Arcane / MacGuffin Alphabet / Unnight
Twitter: StefanEJones
stefanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #17
DSumner
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The North American Combine
Default Re: Villains & Vigilantes is back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj View Post
Well, dang.

Last I heard, V&V was about the only item being reprinted by FGU, and the only item for which royalties was being paid.

This really ticked off Jeff Dee, who was getting checks but would rather have his game back.

I know that FGU has been selling my old V&V adventures (Pentacle Plot, Deeps of Space, Opponents Unlimited), but haven't only not gotten a royalty check since 1987, but haven't heard anything from Scott since 1991. Really, it is the latter that ticks me off more. I don't need the money any more, but utter silence from a publisher who got me my start in the industry is kind of annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj View Post
Oh, I tried friendly. I sent address updates when I went to grad school (and could have used the money) and moved to California and moved to Oregon.

I am really not all that motivated to go farther. I wouldn't mind getting the rights back so maybe Jeff & Jack could republish them, but only if it wasn't too much trouble. Rewriting that stuff would mean REALLY rewriting them. I wrote that stuff on a TYPEWRITER.
Not sure if you know it or not, but Jeff Dee & Jack Herman are trying to contact you. Shoot me a PM, and I'll give you the contact info.
__________________
"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #18
DSumner
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The North American Combine
Default Re: Villains & Vigilantes is back!

Official Press Release- June 24th, 2010

INTERCRIME: HOSTILE TAKEOVER™ BRINGS THE FIREWORKS ON JULY 4TH!

MONKEY HOUSE GAMES™ PRESENTS THE 1ST ADVENTURE FOR VILLAINS AND VIGILANTES™ 2.1!... See More

The Internet is still abuzz over the news: The classic superhero role-playing game VILLAINS AND VIGILANTES™ will return from MONKEY HOUSE GAMES™ on June 27, 2010. Now MONKEY HOUSE GAMES™ is proud to announce the release of the first adventure for VILLAINS AND VIGILANTES™ 2.1.

INTERCRIME: HOSTILE TAKEOVER™ is written and illustrated by JEFF DEE and adapted for VILLAINS AND VIGILANTES™ by JACK HERMAN. The release of INTERCRIME: HOSTILE TAKEOVER™ will follow the launch of VILLAINS AND VIGILANTES™ 2.1 by one week, arriving on July 4, 2010.

“Everyone we have on record that purchased the original Intercrime: Hostile Takeover for Living Legends will receive a complimentary copy of the Villains and Vigilantes version from Monkey House Games.” co-founder Jeff Dee said. “Right now we are fighting against some time intensive technical problems in making that happen. So if you bought the original edition it may take a month or so to get you your new copy. Please be patient. We will not forget you.”

“Our intention going forward is to release only new material. But Intercrime: Hostile Takeover makes such a perfect entry point into the V&V universe that it was too good to pass up.” co-founder Jack Herman added. “Intercrime is a major criminal organization in V&V. It is filled with mysterious, intriguing characters and, if anything, Jeff’s story resonates more strongly nowadays than it did just a few short years ago. It is a solid foundation upon which we will build and an excellent start to your Villains and Vigilantes campaign.”

The release date for VILLAINS AND VIGILANTES™ 2.1 is June 27, 2010. The release date for INTERCRIME: HOSTILE TAKEOVER™ is July 4, 2010. They will both be available through RPGnow.com.

Visit the MONKEY HOUSE GAMES™ Store at RPGnow:

http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=3246

VILLAINS AND VIGILANTES™ is the classic tabletop superhero role-playing game created by Jeff Dee and Jack Herman. LIVING LEGENDS™ is the point-based superhero role-playing game sequel by Jeff Dee set in the VILLAINS AND VIGILANTES™ Universe. VILLAINS AND VIGILANTES™ and LIVING LEGENDS™ are trademarks of MONKEY HOUSE GAMES™.

MONKEY HOUSE GAMES™ is the game company created by Jeff Dee and Jack Herman for the release of all material relating to the VILLAINS AND VIGILANTES™ Universe, and is the exclusive source for officially authorized VILLAINS AND VIGILANTES™ role-playing game material.

For further information, please visit www.monkeyhousegames.com or just type into your browser www.villainsandvigilantes.com

Stay connected with VILLAINS AND VIGILANTES™ and MONKEY HOUSE GAMES™ on Facebook.
__________________
"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #19
stefanj
 
stefanj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Beaverton, OR
Default Re: Villains & Vigilantes is back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner View Post
Not sure if you know it or not, but Jeff Dee & Jack Herman are trying to contact you. Shoot me a PM, and I'll give you the contact info.
By coincidence, I sent them an email a few hours ago.

* * *
I was never an FGU employee, but as a freelancer I hung out in the offices a lot. Many of the employees went on to other things. Tom Dowd, the stock boy, and Bob Charette, the staff artist, did a game called . . . man, what was it. Oh yeah, Shadowrun.

Another artist, who worked with Jeff previously at TSR, was Bill Willingham. He went on to create the phenomenal Fables comics.
__________________
Alphabet Arcane / MacGuffin Alphabet / Unnight
Twitter: StefanEJones
stefanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #20
Not another shrubbery
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Villains & Vigilantes is back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I was never an FGU employee, but as a freelancer I hung out in the offices a lot. Many of the employees went on to other things. Tom Dowd, the stock boy, and Bob Charette, the staff artist, did a game called . . . man, what was it. Oh yeah, Shadowrun.

Another artist, who worked with Jeff previously at TSR, was Bill Willingham. He went on to create the phenomenal Fables comics.
I remember Dowd's name from V:TM. Shadowrun... another game that I should have put in my RPGs I just don't 'get' thread :/

Willingham... Elementals *sigh*
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.